The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Computer Science - Frequently asked questions

Hi,

I have recently revamped our "FAQ" page for Computer Science applicants:
http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospective-ug/faq
and would welcome some feedback on this. While I appreciate that not everyone who frequents this forum is a Computer Science student, if there are any common questions that you do not see answered, I may add them if they are relevant to our applicants. Similarly, if any of the questions or answers are unclear, please let me know.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Hello,

My feedback.

I think your thread topic suggests that there is general FAQ information regarding all aspects of the university which is rather misleading. I believe you should edit your topic to something along the lines of: Computer Science - FAQ to reflect the actual information shared here.

On the FAQ page itself, I see most of the questions address UG students, is it meant that way because I didn't find a FAQ page on postgraduate studies.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Just a minor point about the following:

Where do students live?
Information on accommodation can be found on the main University website. Many of our students choose to live in halls of residence close to the Computer Science buildings, such as New Hall.

This is a bit misleading as students don't actually get to choose which specific hall they apply to, they apply for the 'types' of accommodation (catered/self catered, standard/ensuite, shared/single). A lot of students get confused by this and try and submit applications with specific halls listed as their preferences which they're not allowed to do. Also, New Hall has a new name but I see that hasn't changed on the accommodation wesbite yet but best to keep an eye on to see when it changes so you can change your page too.

Great advice on the personal statement!
Original post by warlock
Hello,

My feedback.

I think your thread topic suggests that there is general FAQ information regarding all aspects of the university which is rather misleading. I believe you should edit your topic to something along the lines of: Computer Science - FAQ to reflect the actual information shared here.

I apologise for the confusing title but I cannot work out how to change it.

Original post by warlock

On the FAQ page itself, I see most of the questions address UG students, is it meant that way because I didn't find a FAQ page on postgraduate studies.

Yes, this is the undergraduate FAQ. I hope that the title of the page and URL make this clear. I am not responsible for postgraduate admissions so I am not sure what questions the PG Admissions Officer receives, but I will ask them if they wish to set up a similar page. Thanks for the feedback.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Just a minor point about the following:

This is a bit misleading as students don't actually get to choose which specific hall they apply to, they apply for the 'types' of accommodation (catered/self catered, standard/ensuite, shared/single). A lot of students get confused by this and try and submit applications with specific halls listed as their preferences which they're not allowed to do. Also, New Hall has a new name but I see that hasn't changed on the accommodation wesbite yet but best to keep an eye on to see when it changes so you can change your page too.

Good point. It was a comment on where our students end up but indeed you don't get to choose. I shall clarify this.

Original post by Ecosse_14
Great advice on the personal statement!

Thank you. Students and teachers are always asking for more transparency with regard to how we review personal statements so I hope that this is of help.
Reply 5
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
I apologise for the confusing title but I cannot work out how to change it.

I've changed it for you for now but if you want to change it again just click 'edit' on your opening post and there should be the option there to change the title.
Reply 6
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
Good point. It was a comment on where our students end up but indeed you don't get to choose. I shall clarify this.

I just read the changes made and it's still a bit confusing. I would personally just say that since St Andrews is small most accommodation in town is easily within walking distance and that you are quite near to the Dundee bus route. You might also mention that hall accommodation is guaranteed for all first years.
Original post by CJ99
I just read the changes made and it's still a bit confusing. I would personally just say that since St Andrews is small most accommodation in town is easily within walking distance and that you are quite near to the Dundee bus route. You might also mention that hall accommodation is guaranteed for all first years.

Done! Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending