The Student Room Group

Broken phone before end of contract

About 18 months into my 24 month Orange contract, my phone breaks. It freezes on startup, and nothing I do gets it working. I took it to Carphone Warehouse and they couldn't work it out, their only suggestion was to take it to Orange and ask them to fix it.

As it's past the 12-month Orange guarantee, and I don't have Orange Care Insurance they won't fix it. They told me to appeal directly to Sony Ericsson, who should fix it, but for a price. They told me it was probably more hassle than it's worth. I do have 3rd party insurance, but the excess probably won't cover the cost of getting it fixed.

I am SO annoyed - I feel like Orange should fix it for free / arrange for it to be fixed by Sony Ericsson for free, as they sold it to me on a 24-month contract, thereby indicating the phone should have a life of at least 24 months.

Is there anything at all I can do?!
A few options for you:

- Factory reset your phone to see if that helps
- See if you can upgrade to a new handset
- If not sell it explaining the issue and use the funds to buy your way out of that contract. Then get a new one with no upfront cost and a free phone.

ALWAYS shop around being signing a contract. Check:

https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/
https://www.mobiles.co.uk/
https://www.buymobiles.net/
Reply 2
It's the risk you take by not having insurance. Although, this is a risk I am happy to take as I cannot justify paying out for insurance when I am so careful with my belongings.

However, this is evidently a problem that you are not to blame for. If you are unwilling to pay for Sony Erricson to fix it you have a number of options:

1) Moan to orange over the phone that its broken and see what they say.
2) Moan to sony erricson over the phone and see what they say.
3) Buy yourself out the contract and get a brand spanking new phone. (This will normally be whatever you pay per month x the number of months left of your contract)
4) Buy a cheap phone to use for the next year and deal with it.

Not much else you can do I'm afraid.
Reply 3
One last suggestion - try googling the phone model and the issue and see if the internet can offer any answers!
Just moan non stop to orange until they fix it, they'll give in at some point...
Visit phones4u.co.uk, go to the upgrades section and fill in your details. They'll call you back. Tell them the situation and the they'll likely buy you out of your current contract by form of a cheque so long as you sign a new contract. :smile:
Reply 6
SNAP! They said there was nothing I could do, yet when I rang up to cancel they said they could renew the contract NOW and give me a new phone, but it would be for 24 months again.

I said no, and I will be leaving as soon as my contract is over! :frown:
Reply 7
To add on to the suggestion, when complaining to Orange, sound/say you are really dissapointed and was not expecting this from a company like Orange with suposively really good customer service.

Just play the game of innocent consumer that feels betrayed by their favourite company and they should give in indeed.

If that doesn't work, whine until the person your talking to gets frustrated and then tell them their being rude and not helpful and ask to speak to the manager, then explain the situation to them and say the person you were talking to was unhelpful and rude.

Obviously do this only if you do not mind having a bad conscious as it is any telephone rep's worst nightmare. I personally fail at whining so tend not to bother, but I've heard many success stories of people doing this.
Reply 8
I think if you keep complaining it does actually work...
I once had a water damaged phone (dropped down toilet) and got it replaced on warranty
Reply 9
Original post by dada55
To add on to the suggestion, when complaining to Orange, sound/say you are really dissapointed and was not expecting this from a company like Orange with suposively really good customer service.

Just play the game of innocent consumer that feels betrayed by their favourite company and they should give in indeed.

If that doesn't work, whine until the person your talking to gets frustrated and then tell them their being rude and not helpful and ask to speak to the manager, then explain the situation to them and say the person you were talking to was unhelpful and rude.

Obviously do this only if you do not mind having a bad conscious as it is any telephone rep's worst nightmare. I personally fail at whining so tend not to bother, but I've heard many success stories of people doing this.

This works, I play the nice but frustrated young girl veerrrry well :tongue:
Reply 10
I'd go with the whine option, focusing on the fact that they sold you this phone on a 24 month contract. A quick search reveals Orange offer no 12 month contracts.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Most phones only come with a 12 month warranty, but I second the whining option, have you been with Orange for long? Are any of your family on Orange? If they don't give in then maybe buy a cheap phone and use that until your contract runs out?
Original post by hvh
It's the risk you take by not having insurance. Although, this is a risk I am happy to take as I cannot justify paying out for insurance when I am so careful with my belongings.

However, this is evidently a problem that you are not to blame for. If you are unwilling to pay for Sony Erricson to fix it you have a number of options:

1) Moan to orange over the phone that its broken and see what they say.
2) Moan to sony erricson over the phone and see what they say.
3) Buy yourself out the contract and get a brand spanking new phone. (This will normally be whatever you pay per month x the number of months left of your contract)
4) Buy a cheap phone to use for the next year and deal with it.

Not much else you can do I'm afraid.

As I already have regular insurance, I wasn't going to pay for yet more insurance when I am also very careful with my phone. I was offered the option of upgrading early - but with a charge. I still feel this is totally unreasonable - it's not my fault that my phone isn't working, and is it too much to ask that I get what I have paid for and am entitled to in my contract!!

Original post by JKGB
Most phones only come with a 12 month warranty, but I second the whining option, have you been with Orange for long? Are any of your family on Orange? If they don't give in then maybe buy a cheap phone and use that until your contract runs out?

I'm not very good at whining but I will keep on at them! I've been with Orange months now - this is my first contract phone. Before that I was on Vodafone PAYG.

I do have an old phone that I am using with my SIM. It's just damn frustrating that Orange (and probably other phone companies) can get away with this. No one seems to claim responsibility for this, always saying "Sorry - ask Person X, Company Y" etc.

Thanks for the advice - I'll try moaning and whining and see where I get!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending