The Student Room Group

Subject Clash :(

I was doing German, Maths, Bio & Chem
and the school have just phoned me saying chemistry and german clash :frown: I don't know what to do :frown: i want to do biology at uni
I could drop it to three to do Biology, Maths and German
But originally, I was planning on dropping maths at A2, but if i had to drop chemistry I'd have to do the C3 C4 Maths to get 3 alevels, and aren't they really horrible??

HELP
Chemistry is quite important for a Biology degree, although you can probably get away with not having it if you do maths however it would be preferable to swap german for another subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Chemistry is quite important for a Biology degree, although you can probably get away with not having it if you do maths however it would be preferable to swap german for another subject.

But I love German :-(
Original post by becky96
But I love German :-(

Is it possible to do Chemistry in the lessons which you have maths then and then do something else instead of maths?
Just drop German, you can learn it on youtube anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Just drop German, you can learn it on youtube anyway.

But then do just Maths Chem and Bio?? Don't you think that sounds really boring? Lol. I liked having German because it makes me seem like versatile and ****
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
Is it possible to do Chemistry in the lessons which you have maths then and then do something else instead of maths?

I don't think so actually because not many people applied for Chem so there's only one class and it isn't in the same pool as Maths
Hm maybe....... I'm going to a meeting on Thursday so I'll update you on that :L Do you think it's possible to do the full German alevel in one year then the full Chem alevel in the next year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Trust - if you want to go to good universities (like the top ones) they don't want to see your versatility as much as your best grades in the subject concerned, i.e.: in this case, Bio and Chem.

German is one of those subjects that you can do fairly easily out of school.
Reply 8
Original post by becky96
Hm maybe....... I'm going to a meeting on Thursday so I'll update you on that :L Do you think it's possible to do the full German alevel in one year then the full Chem alevel in the next year?

For Chem do you mean AS and A2 in one year? Nuh-uh !! Well it depends on your exam board. We have AQA and it is quite a lot!!
Keep chemistry. Most biology degrees want it.

I'd drop maths- I found it rate hard though so I'm biased :')

If you really love german then keep it and don't do chemistry, but be aware that it will limit what biology degree you can apply for.
Reply 10
Original post by Frankster
For Chem do you mean AS and A2 in one year? Nuh-uh !! Well it depends on your exam board. We have AQA and it is quite a lot!!

Yeah but I mean do 10 hours a week

And I guess but.............................................. Zeugnis
Keep chemistry. Most biology degrees want it.

I'd drop maths- I found it rate hard though so I'm biased :')

If you really love german then keep it and don't do chemistry, but be aware that it will limit what biology degree you can apply for.

A boy in my year did chemistry edexcel in one year, but trust me you'll end up with a lot of extra stress- chem is very difficult as it is so I'd try and avoid doing that!
Reply 12
Original post by becky96
Yeah but I mean do 10 hours a week

And I guess but.............................................. Zeugnis

Think you'd be better off doing Chem through school and German out of school.. if you really want to take German that is.
I really don't recommend continuing regardless of the clash; I tried that last year with French and Further Maths...it really didn't work! It seems ok to miss a few hours a week, but it builds up and towards exams you realise just how much learning you've missed out on. It takes a lot of work.
If you want to do a Biology degree it's probably best to drop German unfortunately. Chemistry will be much more valuable and favourable to this degree. However, do keep your interest in German! when you have some spare time, just go over basic grammar structures and vocab - listen to music or read the news in the language just to keep your interest and ability there :smile: when you're at university, there may be opportunities to continue with German whether that's as an outside subject, a joint degree if that's an option or as a year abroad :smile:
Reply 14
I don't know though, I've looked into Biology+German degrees and they seem interesting too
Reply 15
Most universities only want Chemistry and Biology A level to do Biology at university so I'm sure you will be fine. If you are unsure check UCAS and ring up some universities to ask if what subjects you are doing are ok
Original post by becky96
I don't know though, I've looked into Biology+German degrees and they seem interesting too

I think German's one of the languages you don't need an A-level in to do it at degree level - it's usually only French that needs A-level, and you just need a GCSE in a language to be able to take it. This may vary depending on the university.
Reply 17
Original post by kayleigh.jean
I really don't recommend continuing regardless of the clash; I tried that last year with French and Further Maths...it really didn't work! It seems ok to miss a few hours a week, but it builds up and towards exams you realise just how much learning you've missed out on. It takes a lot of work.
If you want to do a Biology degree it's probably best to drop German unfortunately. Chemistry will be much more valuable and favourable to this degree. However, do keep your interest in German! when you have some spare time, just go over basic grammar structures and vocab - listen to music or read the news in the language just to keep your interest and ability there :smile: when you're at university, there may be opportunities to continue with German whether that's as an outside subject, a joint degree if that's an option or as a year abroad :smile:

So hang on, you had a clash and you still did both subjects?
Original post by becky96
So hang on, you had a clash and you still did both subjects?

yeah, I'm too stubborn and there were no subjects I wanted to do in the other option block so insisted on being able to do both...lots of frees, but it was just too much work come exam time - at least with going to lessons you're bound to pick stuff up and have a basic understanding of all the syllabus! If it's two easier subjects then maybe it could work, but when it's subjects that you really benefit from being in the lessons for then it's just not worth trying to do it!
Original post by kayleigh.jean
I think German's one of the languages you don't need an A-level in to do it at degree level - it's usually only French that needs A-level, and you just need a GCSE in a language to be able to take it. This may vary depending on the university.

Certainly at sheffield that isnt the case. German was the only language applicants needed to have at A level if they wanted to do chemistry with a year abroad. French and spanish they wanted A at GCSE!

Quick Reply

Latest