The Student Room Group

Conditional offer help! UCAS POINTS SYSTEM...

Helloo :smile:

I've happily gained a conditional offer from my favourite UNI (yay)

However I'm a tad confused on what the UNI is asking for...
"This offer is subject to you obtaining

Obtain a minimum 260 points to include at least two Level 3

qualifications from A Levels; BTEC National Award; AVCE or

any one of the following: BTEC National Certificate or

Diploma; CACHE Diploma; or A2 Double Award. Please note: All"

Does this include any of my AS levels, like the subject that I chose to drop?

Thankful for any help :smile:!
Reply 1
It's an interesting question, because although A-levels are 'level 3', I can't find any information on AS grades... But GCSEs and the such are 'level 2'.

It does sound like they want 2 A-levels though. It'd probably be a lot safer just to contact them. Check the course requirements too, as it might say if they accept AS levels. Generally though, they don't. They'll either say '260 points from subjects' or '260 points from A levels'. This sounds like the latter.

But you'll never know unless you contact them. Hell, try making an offer with them. I was able to get my firm choice to consider me with 3 A levels and an AS, even though they want that AS as an A-level, and the other university made me an offer with an A-level, and I was able to ask if I could just achieve a AS level of similar UCAS tariff instead. Both worked.
Reply 2
260 UCAS points basically means you require BCC or any grades equivalent. With AS levels, say you acheived an A, you will get 60 UCAS points for that. If you got an A in A level (A2) it would be double the AS score for A; so 2x60=120. So it would include any relevant AS grades if you passed them.
Reply 3
Original post by SillyEddy
It's an interesting question, because although A-levels are 'level 3', I can't find any information on AS grades... But GCSEs and the such are 'level 2'.

It does sound like they want 2 A-levels though. It'd probably be a lot safer just to contact them. Check the course requirements too, as it might say if they accept AS levels. Generally though, they don't. They'll either say '260 points from subjects' or '260 points from A levels'. This sounds like the latter.

But you'll never know unless you contact them. Hell, try making an offer with them. I was able to get my firm choice to consider me with 3 A levels and an AS, even though they want that AS as an A-level, and the other university made me an offer with an A-level, and I was able to ask if I could just achieve a AS level of similar UCAS tariff instead. Both worked.

Thank you, that was a really helpful answer! I'm taking 3 A-levels anyway, just I wanted the backup of my AS just to reassure me for those final points haha! I think I will ring up and check with them, just to be on the safe side, maybe they'll even make me a deal like you :smile:! Thanks again :cool:
Reply 4
you said is very good.
AS grades ate worth half of what the A2 is, so A2 b = 100 so as b = 50 (only count as points if dropped, you don't add as and a2 together so if you get a b in both you don't get 150 you get 100

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply