The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Year 1 or Year 2 Entry?

Hi

Looking at MChem at St. Andrews (I'm an English student). Normal entry is at Year 1 and requires AAB, direct entry at Year 2 requires AAA. Don't have AS results yet or A2 predictions but hoping for AAA so year 2 entry is possible.

Apart from grades (and money, obviously) are there any other considerations regarding choice of Year 1 or Year 2 entry?

e.g. If I apply for Year 1 but my predicted grades are AAA how would this be seen by the Uni? Would it be a disadvantage to me as they'd think I'm taking up a place that they should give to someone who really needs Year 1, or would it be an advantage as I exceed the Year 1 entry requirements?

Really keen on St Andrews and don't want to spoil my chances by making the wrong decision on entry year so any advice welcome.
Reply 1
It doesn't really matter which you apply for as you can decide to do 2nd year entry when you get here in freshers week and have your meeting with your adviser. If you apply for 1st year entry, you may find that you'll receive and offer for that along with a separate offer for 2nd year entry.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by sigsig
Hi

Looking at MChem at St. Andrews (I'm an English student). Normal entry is at Year 1 and requires AAB, direct entry at Year 2 requires AAA. Don't have AS results yet or A2 predictions but hoping for AAA so year 2 entry is possible.

Apart from grades (and money, obviously) are there any other considerations regarding choice of Year 1 or Year 2 entry?

e.g. If I apply for Year 1 but my predicted grades are AAA how would this be seen by the Uni? Would it be a disadvantage to me as they'd think I'm taking up a place that they should give to someone who really needs Year 1, or would it be an advantage as I exceed the Year 1 entry requirements?

Really keen on St Andrews and don't want to spoil my chances by making the wrong decision on entry year so any advice welcome.

No. I applied for the same course you did, I had the same predicted grades as you and I just applied for first year entry. You can easily change when you go for your first meeting to have accelerated entry if you get the grades as Ecosse said above.

Something to consider, Year 2 entry is pretty full on. There is a compulsory top-up module that you must take along with the standard second year chemistry modules (Physical Chem, Organic Chem and Inorganic Chem). Be prepared to work hard if you go into second year. If you start second year entry, don't be put off by the volume/difficulty of the work. When I first started I didnt understand anything in the top-up module (I did the Chemistry AEA as well) but I did pretty well in all the normal second year modules. If you want a pretty easy year then 1st year might be better for you. I'd say 70% of the 1 year material is A-level.

I've switched course now, not because I didn't like it but because the market is saturated with Chemistry graduates :smile:

Good luck with the application.
Reply 3
Thanks for info. Sounds like applying for Year 1 is best way forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending