The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well im 19 atm and I would love to have a baby bro/sis =D
I'm in that situation, but I'm the younger one.

I'm 18 and my half siblings are; 37, 41 and 43!!!!!!! We have the same dad but not the same mum. My dad's 63. The wierd thing is, my mum is only 51 which means, there's a smaller gap between her and my two brothers than her and my dad!

My friends do think it's a bit odd seeing as they're old enough to be my parents. The younger brother (41) is the same age as my friends mum! And I have several friends with grandparents the age of my dad!

They've never lived with us since I was born. I see two of them maybe once a month, they live 10-15 miles away. My other brother I only see a couple of times a year as he lives the other side of the country and works away half the year, 4 weeks at a time.

I get on with all of them and one of my brothers spoils me - the one we hardly see.

I've also already got a neice whose 25! whose got one child and another on the way!
Reply 3
Last year my baby sister was born 1.5 weeks after I turned 17 its not weird just hard work.
I'm 18 and the youngest is 7 so not too bad
I don't think 20 years should be a problem if you really would like another sibling
Reply 5
I have a sister who is 16 years older than me and a brother who is 11 years older than me (not the same but still a large age gap). It's not weird as such, but because I didn't grow up with me (moved out when I was a young child), I sometimes feel like I don't know them as well as my brother who is a year younger than me, since we didn't have all those times growing up together to talk/fight/make up etc. Obviously it depends on your situation, and I still love them regardless. :smile:
I've got a brother who is nearly 18 years older than me and it's great!

There isn't any difference by other siblings, we still scrap, jokingly argue, etc. Actually I possibly think it's better than having a sibling closer in age.

We probably get on better this way!

So I think you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 7
I'm 21 and my older sister is 23. We have two half siblings a brother that is 6 and a sister who is 1 and a half at the moment. Honestly, I would have found it extremely frustrating if I lived with them - I don't want to listen to screaming children when I'm doing uni work. BUT, they are adorable :smile:
I'd find it strange I suppose (especially given that I had my OWN child when I was 21, so if my mother had one the year prior, my sibling and my daughter would be only a year between them in age).....but if that's what she wanted to do, then it wouldn't have been any of my business, I'd have just accepted it and that's that. After all, I moved out 4 days before my 19th birthday, so it's not as though the baby would have been much to do with me really.

Course my mother was 54 when I was 20 lol, so that obviously was never even a possibility, but as a hypothetical then no I wouldn't have minded.
Reply 9
I have a sister 10 years older (31) a sister 4 years younger (17), all by the same parents. And a half sister who is now 4 from a short affair my dad had. We have nothing to do with her.
So my oldest sister has a 27 year age gap to her youngest sibling. My dad is 51 now, he has only ever been with two women - one too many, that i know of anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I used to go to school with a guy who had two siblings 20 years older than him and a girl who had a brother and two sisters, i think the brother was 25 years older then that so i think its pretty normal. :smile:
Reply 11
No its not weird! I'm the younger sibling though!
I have two half sisters that are 16 and 14 years older than me.
We get on really well, and when my parents are annoying me I 'escape' to their houses.
If you still live with your parents you will be asked to babysit a lot though!
Reply 12
Original post by jimcatinnes
Basically I my mum wants to have another child, and se asked me if I would find it weird having a brother or sister 20 years younger than me weird, I said no, because I wouldn't, but I've been thinking about it, and while I wouldn't think it weird, what would you think?

Nope - my sister is 18 years older than me and we both love it. :smile:
Reply 13
I'd find it pretty weird tbh, it's like a massive age difference.
Reply 14
i think it's actually better the bigger the difference is - you are old enough to be trusted looking after the baby, and not be jealous of the attention it's getting or anything!

My brother and I are 19 and we have half brother and sister who are 27 and 28; my brother who's 28 has two children of 7 and 9! that wasn't great when we were growing up because my sister was at an age where she wanted to be left alone and spend time with her friends, but she had to share a room with me when I was 7 and she was 15, which was really annoying for her.

So if you're much older, I think it's easier. I'd feel excited to have another sibling now, although it's more likely I'll be having the next child, not my mother!! :/ i think it depends how old your mum is... i mean my mum's 48 and i'd find it gross if she had another child. but if she was say, under 40 i'd be ok with it.
Reply 15
It's not weird - it's pretty cool! You can help out with the baby and when they're older, you'll be another adult that they can turn to for advice/support/etc. My brother is 15 years younger than me and like the age gap!
Reply 16
Having a nice age gap is good. I have two younger sisters, One is only 1.5 years younger than me and me and her dont get along very well. I mean we argued a lot when we were younger and still we are not close. But my other sister is 9 years younger than me and we are very close and its fun to have her.
It will be fun to have a sibling 20 years younger than you. You can buy him/her ice creams and there are lots of things to do.
I'm 17 years older than my brother and I don't find it weird, although strangers do sometimes think I'm his mum XD
Well, it'll be good practise for when you have children...

Seriously, I would personally probably find it weird. But there's only 18 months between me and my older brother and 21 months between me and my younger sister.
Reply 19
Original post by jimcatinnes
Basically I my mum wants to have another child, and se asked me if I would find it weird having a brother or sister 20 years younger than me weird, I said no, because I wouldn't, but I've been thinking about it, and while I wouldn't think it weird, what would you think?

haha im 19 atm. And id LOVE to have a baby brother or sister. wouldnt it be awesomely cute? :smile:

Latest