The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Scared I'm going to fail English! :(

I just took my A2 English Lit exam, I'd like to think I did enough to get a C but I'm not sure now - especially on my Part B. My coursework got a C and a low C (56/100) because my teacher is a harsh marker who's been practically telling me I'm going to get a D all year, even though I tried really hard in class. I felt that my part A went reasonably well, but for part B I had to talk about 2 novels and 1 poem and I feel I really screwed up even though I write quite eloquently. Although I initially felt ok about it, there are thoughts now going through my mind about what I could or probably should've done. I don't think I made enough comparisons between the 2 novels - I talked about literary methods (structure) for one of the novels only and then quickly moved on to another point where I contrasted the two motifs the authors used in the novel. Then I moved on to the poem because I only had 15 minutes left, did 1 paragraph on the poem, wrote about language only and made two connections between the context of the 2 novels, but I could've made another really important link with one of the novels and I stupidly didn't. Even though I think I did well in Part A, I'm not even sure about that. My main issue in Part B was that I should've made a direct comparison with a scene in one novel to another similar one in the other and because of time, I panicked and couldn't do it, now I feel my lack of comparison between them and the link I didn't make with the poem could've cost me my grade a lot :frown: I need at least a C in this exam for uni, a B to get into my firm and now I keep thinking what if I end up with a D or an E overall considering Part B is worth 60 marks? Even though I feel I write really well? I revised a lot for this exam and now I feel my life is ruined, I've been told I could get 2 As in my other subjects but I don' think either of my choices would accept AAD or ABD. I feel like everything's gone to waste :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't worry, everyone feels like that! I just sat the OCR English Lit exam and I need an A overall if I want to go to my firm uni choice. I think I did alright, but not entirely sure if I was good enough to get an A grade. Anyway, there's no point in wallowing over it, eh? Until August 16th, just make the most of your freedom - I'm sure you'll do much better than you thought!
Reply 2
Original post by Impignorate
Don't worry, everyone feels like that! I just sat the OCR English Lit exam and I need an A overall if I want to go to my firm uni choice. I think I did alright, but not entirely sure if I was good enough to get an A grade. Anyway, there's no point in wallowing over it, eh? Until August 16th, just make the most of your freedom - I'm sure you'll do much better than you thought!

This ^

I'm sure you'll be fine OP :smile: don't worry and have fun! :smile:
Reply 3
nothing gone to waste!
At least you have tried hard..
Reply 4
You shouldn't worry so much. I know that's easy to say but remember universities also consider the quality of your personal statement, additional subjects you have studied and the modules you sat during your A level study as well as your interests etc.

I finished my A levels last year and felt exactly the same. I had a harsh marker for a college tutor, needed an AAB or AAA with the A in English to get into The University of Manchester and had a similar experience. In the end I got ABBB (because I have a fourth A level) and my A was in Sociology and not either English subject. Typically I wouldn't be offered a place but I received one unconditionally in a very competitive course because of my personal statement etc etc.

If worst comes to worst you'll end up in your insurance choice (which is what it's for!!) or maybe even clearing if you are incredibly unlucky which is very rare.

Remember also all work at college is moderated against the marking styles of teachers across the entire UK. If your teacher has been deemed as marking too harshly then your mark will be improved to compensate.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending