The Student Room Group

Can't get an internship! What now!?

So i have tried to get an internship, I've applied to lots of firms, however they were not successful. I think the main problem is that I have no relevant experience and haven't done many extra-curriculum activities during university (i've done lots prior to uni, but not many since)
So what do I do now??? What can I do this summer to make me a more competitive individual for the graduate jobs?? I'm scared now, if I can't get an internship, how will I get a graduate job!?
x
Keep trying, basically is the answer.

Could you maybe get some short bits of work expereince with any of your relatives or parents friends, things like that?

However I think this goes to show that getting work expereince when you get the chance really is key, is there any particular reason why you didn't try and get some before now? In University holidays and the like?
Keep trying and take any work experience you can get is really all I can say.
Reply 3
Hvae you tried Spring Weeks, work experience, insight days, etc?

And within uni, sports, drama, volunteering, etc?
What year of study are you in? Where have you been applying? What stages have you been rejected at?

I would strongly suggest that lack of work experience is NOT the reason you have been rejected. Naturally, work experience may give you an advantage, but the lack of it doesn't rule you out whatsoever. You have to be able to apply your previous experiences, regardless or where they were, to possibly situations you will encounter in your job role.

I haven't had any relevant work experience with accountancy, or anything finance related, but I managed to get an internship by talking mostly about school and university experiences. I'm really not especially smart, and I have definitely done less than the average amount of extra curriculur activities - you still have a good chance.

I was rejected by a few firms when I applied in summer. I basically gave up, but was convinced to try again in Christmas, which I did. I would definitely say not to give up, most of the graduates jobs don't come via internships. Saying that, you have to pin point your weaknesses. Don't just keep applying - you have to change something. For me, I had to find out what exactly I wanted to do, because in summer my approach was: apply to all banks and accountancy firms, in whichever division looks interesting. This was a stupid approach, and I eventually ruled out banks and became far more interested in tax.
Reply 5
Original post by IJustWantAnswers
What year of study are you in? Where have you been applying? What stages have you been rejected at?

I would strongly suggest that lack of work experience is NOT the reason you have been rejected. Naturally, work experience may give you an advantage, but the lack of it doesn't rule you out whatsoever. You have to be able to apply your previous experiences, regardless or where they were, to possibly situations you will encounter in your job role.

I haven't had any relevant work experience with accountancy, or anything finance related, but I managed to get an internship by talking mostly about school and university experiences. I'm really not especially smart, and I have definitely done less than the average amount of extra curriculur activities - you still have a good chance.

I was rejected by a few firms when I applied in summer. I basically gave up, but was convinced to try again in Christmas, which I did. I would definitely say not to give up, most of the graduates jobs don't come via internships. Saying that, you have to pin point your weaknesses. Don't just keep applying - you have to change something. For me, I had to find out what exactly I wanted to do, because in summer my approach was: apply to all banks and accountancy firms, in whichever division looks interesting. This was a stupid approach, and I eventually ruled out banks and became far more interested in tax.

just wondering what's wrong with applying every where because i don't understand how someone knows what they want to do without even having an internship.
Reply 6
Mate keep trying, it took me 3 months to get one! and now i am working for one of the biggest M&E companies in england, and top that im getting paid and college is funded. so keep head up and you'll get one.
Reply 7
Any other work experience is useful. Anything you can use during ur graduate recruitment interviews. I'd advise talking to your career service for tips on completing recruitment forms, interview practice, etc.
Original post by non
just wondering what's wrong with applying every where because i don't understand how someone knows what they want to do without even having an internship.

There is nothing wrong with applying everywhere specifically. But, there is a problem if you're sacrificing the quality of your application in order to increase the quantity of your applications, in my opinion.

If you pick 1 place to apply, you devote your time to researching that place a lot. If you then pick 2 places, your time is divided between the 2. The more places you apply to, the less time you have to research each properly. By no means am i saying apply to 1, i'm just saying know the division you find most interesting and go for it, or go for 2 divisions you find particularly interesting.

Wondering how people know what divison to apply in without having an internship is like saying you cannot choose a university to go to without attanding a 6-8 week taster. No. In fact, open days are used to find out if you like a university. Likewise, insight days are used to find out what division suits you. Get applying and find out what you want to do.
Reply 9
You don't need an internship to get a graduate job. I never did an internship (applied to 2 - one rejected me and one filled up before I got to the assessment centre). I then applied for the graduate role the day the applications opened and within a few weeks I had been offered the job.

Simple numbers mean they have to recruit people that haven't done internships. My department has one intern a year and 8-10 graduates on average. Clearly only 1 of those 8-10 can have done the internship so there's a good chance some of the other 7 won't have done one at all.

You have to be smart when you apply, for example:
- Get in there quick - if you've got a good CV ready then apply the earliest possible while there are still plenty of spaces.
- Get experience wherever you can - internships are not the only source. University is full of ways you can get useful experience.
- Make the most of this time to narrow your options down. Prioritise those you really want to apply to and focus on them. That doesn't mean don't apply anywhere else necessarily, I'm not suggesting a number, but you need to have the thought and narrow your options down. If for no other reason, in every interview process you're going to be asked why you want to work there and/or in that role.
- Focus on your degree - remember that if you don't make a firm's offer then all the hard work will go down the drain so getting the grades you need is still essential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending