The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Leicester for Law? Which is "better"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by roh
Hahaha, I think I'll die in that library next year (my 4th year, famously really hard for my course). You shouldn't be there too much as a Fresher (those EC positions of responsibility aren't going to win themselves :tongue:) but I'm sure I will be holed up in the back corner beavering away.

Saying that the library is really nice and if I'm going to have to work I'd rather do it there. And don't forget the shiny new Students' Union to celebrate in after a library sesh!

Oooooh unlucky, let's hope I don't get too much work the first year then, did you? (considering I get in aha) and when I went there, work was going on outside the law department? Just a new floor I'm guessing and not a chocolate fountain?
Reply 21
Original post by Manisha93
Oooooh unlucky, let's hope I don't get too much work the first year then, did you? (considering I get in aha) and when I went there, work was going on outside the law department? Just a new floor I'm guessing and not a chocolate fountain?

No First year's not too bad. Contract and Tort are a bit difficult, but Con and Admin's reasonably interesting if you have any interest in politics (most law students do). The other modules are all less intense than their second and third year equivalents so you don't do the sort of work you do in later years.

Yeah, dunno exactly, I'm on a year abroad currently but when I was back the other week my mate said it was something to do with a bike shed. Be done by the time you get there anyway as they're starting to build a new medical school next year which is a big project and they don't want anything going on at the same time. Chocolate fountain would be good, but they are sadly only spotted at the various balls!
Reply 22
Original post by roh
No First year's not too bad. Contract and Tort are a bit difficult, but Con and Admin's reasonably interesting if you have any interest in politics (most law students do). The other modules are all less intense than their second and third year equivalents so you don't do the sort of work you do in later years.

Yeah, dunno exactly, I'm on a year abroad currently but when I was back the other week my mate said it was something to do with a bike shed. Be done by the time you get there anyway as they're starting to build a new medical school next year which is a big project and they don't want anything going on at the same time. Chocolate fountain would be good, but they are sadly only spotted at the various balls!

I've bought myself a massive and I mean massive, Tort law book to have a look at over summer before I go back. And argh shame that. Ooooh year abroad eh? Which country? I really want to go somewhere abroad when I'm at Uni :smile: sorry for all the questions but would you recommend any reading before I start uni? To help? :smile:
Reply 23
OH MY GOSH! i am stuck in the same position!!!! i don't know which one to choose! however, Leicester seem more lenient if i don't get the grades. But the campus is so not attractive compared to Birmingham's Campus :| ARGH so stuck ! :confused:
Reply 24
Original post by Ajayta
OH MY GOSH! i am stuck in the same position!!!! i don't know which one to choose! however, Leicester seem more lenient if i don't get the grades. But the campus is so not attractive compared to Birmingham's Campus :| ARGH so stuck ! :confused:

The campus attractiveness isn't too bad and is flipped for halls (Chancellor's Court beats Leicester hands down for attractiveness but Oadby is definitely more attractive than the Vale).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about Leicester (I also know brum well as my girlfriend goes there)

Remember the two are very different in terms of size (25,00 or more vs 12,000) and location (huge city vs medium sized one) and atmosphere as well, not just in architecture or their leniency on grades. I know Leicester accept general studies, which is obviously more lenient, but don't brum say they look at it and take a ccount or something if you just miss your grades?
Reply 25
Original post by roh
The campus attractiveness isn't too bad and is flipped for halls (Chancellor's Court beats Leicester hands down for attractiveness but Oadby is definitely more attractive than the Vale).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about Leicester (I also know brum well as my girlfriend goes there)

Remember the two are very different in terms of size (25,00 or more vs 12,000) and location (huge city vs medium sized one) and atmosphere as well, not just in architecture or their leniency on grades. I know Leicester accept general studies, which is obviously more lenient, but don't brum say they look at it and take a ccount or something if you just miss your grades?

Yeah i know Leicester and Birmingham pretty well. My father lives in Leicester so i go there every weekend and i live in Birmingham so atmosphere in terms of city centre etc isn't a problem really. It's just the university itself! i just hope i'm happy wherever i go to be honest :smile:
think im going to firm Leicester! and i attended a Birmingham visit day recently and asked the admissions people straight up and they said "it's unlikely we accept applicants who have missed out on a grade". Soo.. i guess it's better to be safe than sorry! thank you for your help :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Ajayta
Yeah i know Leicester and Birmingham pretty well. My father lives in Leicester so i go there every weekend and i live in Birmingham so atmosphere in terms of city centre etc isn't a problem really. It's just the university itself! i just hope i'm happy wherever i go to be honest :smile:
think im going to firm Leicester! and i attended a Birmingham visit day recently and asked the admissions people straight up and they said "it's unlikely we accept applicants who have missed out on a grade". Soo.. i guess it's better to be safe than sorry! thank you for your help :biggrin:

OK, could you not firm Birmingham and insurance Leicester (this obviously assumes you preferred Birmingham, understandable if you didn't :tongue:)?

If do firm Leicester and you have any questions about course, job prospects (as Freshers seem so keen and serious these days!), halls etc. PM me if you want.
Reply 27
Original post by Ajayta

I firmed Leicester in the end :smile: and omg really?! Unattractive? I think the opposite aha :') I didn't think Birmingham was that nice an it all felt isolated, Leicester seems more fun, friendly and I reckon I'd be happy there :') which part of Leicester campus didn't you like?
Reply 28
I firmed Leicester in the end :smile: and omg really?! Unattractive? I think the opposite aha :') I didn't think Birmingham was that nice an it all felt isolated, Leicester seems more fun, friendly and I reckon I'd be happy there :') which part of Leicester campus didn't you like?

wow i'm replying months later aha!!! but yeah i firmed Leicester in the end too :smile: over these past months i've grown to like the campus a tad, however it can't beat B'ham's campus. It's so big that's probably why you think it's isolated tbf. My initial reaction for Leicester was blurrrgh because of how small and boring it looked but Leicester as a city is pretty fab so i guess i'll be happy there too! (if they accept me) haha!
Reply 29
Original post by Ajayta
wow i'm replying months later aha!!! but yeah i firmed Leicester in the end too :smile: over these past months i've grown to like the campus a tad, however it can't beat B'ham's campus. It's so big that's probably why you think it's isolated tbf. My initial reaction for Leicester was blurrrgh because of how small and boring it looked but Leicester as a city is pretty fab so i guess i'll be happy there too! (if they accept me) haha!

hahaha :') Yeaa aha, i think the Leicester campus is pretty and just right and everyone seems really down to earth and friendly :') Im sure they will, I really hope I get in! Have you firmed it? I might see you!
Reply 30
hahaha :') Yeaa aha, i think the Leicester campus is pretty and just right and everyone seems really down to earth and friendly :') Im sure they will, I really hope I get in! Have you firmed it? I might see you!

yeah i firmed it! We might meet! haha. Gosh the future is so unpredictable isn't it? just hope i get in too :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Original post by Tsunami2011
do you know which line of work you want to go into? i.e corporate law in London?

Do you think it's possible to land a TC at a magic circle firm from Birmingham?
Original post by Selym95
Do you think it's possible to land a TC at a magic circle firm from Birmingham?

Yes of course it's possible. Birmingham is very strong for Law, and your university is only one part of the puzzle.
Reply 33
Original post by Tsunami2011
Yes of course it's possible. Birmingham is very strong for Law, and your university is only one part of the puzzle.

What else will firms look for apart from your degree classification with the module scores and uni?
Original post by Selym95
What else will firms look for apart from your degree classification with the module scores and uni?

Your work experience
Extra curricular
Positions of responsibility
Interview performance
How well you filled out the application form.
Commercial awareness.

List is endless.
Reply 35
Original post by Selym95

In addition to the above.

A Levels.
Vac scheme performance. I know it's not essential to do a firm's VS to get their TC but it's more and more common.
Summer work and so on. Couple of recruitment partners I've talked to say they're always impressed by people who've stuck with something like working in a call centre or cleaning for a whole summer, both for showing you can work hard and as such candidates realise how lucky they are to be doing an academically challenging, interesting and well paid job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending