The Student Room Group

Are these A levels good for Biology at uni

Biology,Geography,Maths and Physics to AS?
I love Biology intense amounts! I really enjoy Geo and it links in with Bio apparently. Maths I got an A and am happy to continue that and physics because Maths supports it, will these be good choices for doing Bio at uni?
Reply 1
Yes - they are all science subjects, and you usually need at least two to do biology. The only thing is that chemistry is sometimes preferred, but you should still be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Yes. Geog. does support it and complements Biology. For Imperial College, you need Biology with Chemistry/Physics/Maths (All at grade A - cuz it's Imperial). They prefer Chemistry BUT it's not mandatory.
Biology with Maths and Physics is more than enough. :smile:
Reply 3
chem > physics
Reply 4
Thanks, was thinking about Chemistry instead of Physics but I've been told it's harder and there's less Maths and more concepts, whilst I'd like to keep main focus on Bio,Geo,Maths A levels.
:rofl2: chemistry harder than physics... :rofl:

you can neg me but I got A*'s in both of these A levels and have done 50 credits of chemistry units this year at uni so I'm not making it up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by fortransexual

this.
Reply 7
Original post by fortransexual

And you did chemistry and physics? If the person enjoys maths they will probly find physics easier..... Its totaly subjective.

Now in reply to the OP: Chemistry would be a good subject to take if you are considering Biology as you you will probly encounter some aspects of biochemistry in the course,though check as different uni's have different modules. Also another subject to look into would be Psychology as the exam board im on(AQA) has quite alot of Biological psychology in the Units.

taking Maths would be a smart choice and obviously do Biology XD
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cuckoo99
And you did chemistry and physics? If the person enjoys maths they will probly find physics easier..... Its totaly subjective.

Now in reply to the OP: Chemistry would be a good subject to take if you are considering Biology as you you will probly encounter some aspects of biochemistry in the course,though check as different uni's have different modules. Also another subject to look into would be Psychology as the exam board im on(AQA) has quite alot of Biological psychology in the Units.

taking Maths would be a smart choice and obviously do Biology XD

Yeah, I did do chemistry and physics and have A*'s in both so erm... Ha to you.

And I do some chemistry units as part of my physics degree - I can safely say chemistry is easier at A level and a lot easier at degree level than physics. Also physics at A level is not really about maths, it's more about the concepts as it doesn't go beyond basic algebra
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I was just looking at this today. For Biology it's fine to have Biology and at least one other Science (You have Physics and Maths!), But for anything else like Microbiology/Biomedical Science, Chemistry is usually needed - which i dropped because i couldn't handle it any longer. So now if i do Biology as i was hoping before i got a terrible teacher and class, i have to hope they don't want Chemistry and accept Psychology as a Science :frown:
Enough about me! Sorry! But short answer, you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 10
I'll do some more research into both A levels and see which will be better for my capabilities. :smile: thanks guys

Quick Reply