The Student Room Group

Applying for USA universities

Anyone got any information on what I should be doing if I want to apply for a university in the states? Im in year 10 atm

Scroll to see replies

Don't take my word for it but my friend wants to do the same and apparently you need a humanity (i.e. History or Geography) at GCSE
Reply 2
Im doing History :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by robster01
Anyone got any information on what I should be doing if I want to apply for a university in the states? Im in year 10 atm

Take into account the following -

I presume you're going to want to go to Ivy League, not that these are extremely expensive in comparison to UK universities, and not always better. In addition, they're extremely competitive.

Oh, and their drinking age is 21, who wants that?!
Reply 4
I have ambitions of making one of the major universities, E.g. Harvard. Have heard from relatives and friends that most US unis are cheaper due to the good scholarship systems they have
Reply 5
I have ambitions of making one of the major universities, E.g. Harvard. Have heard from relatives and friends that most US unis are cheaper due to the good scholarship systems they have

Scholarships are mainly reserved for US citizens and are extremely competitive.

Also you have to take SATs, and then have a skype interview with them.
Reply 6

Note the word scholarship however, and take into account that you'd be competing with the best. Harvard is somewhat overrated in my mind anyway.

What're your targets for GCSE? I'm not trying to piss on your parade here, just being realistic with you.
Reply 7
Honestly, I'd recommend you try for a Russell Group university rather than going for an American one if you think American instantly means better :smile:

Our universities aren't all crap you know. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by c3ntury
Note the word scholarship however, and take into account that you'd be competing with the best. Harvard is somewhat overrated in my mind anyway.

What're your targets for GCSE? I'm not trying to piss on your parade here, just being realistic with you.

I know it will be very hard, but am predicted A*s across the board
Reply 9
Well to be honest, it probably would be a good experience, and I would love to go to Uni in the USA, but it all boils down to finance. I don't know what your financial situation is, but for a start, you will not be able to get any type of loan. Your parents will have to pay all of the cost of fees, accomodation and just money to live. You are looking at big bucks. If you have the money to do so, then by all means go for it if you really want to. But you need to be 100% sure that is what you want. You don't want to be about there for 2 months, and then you feel as if you miss being in the UK, you don't like being out there alone etc. One other thing, make sure it's a respected university over there!!

So if you are sure this is what you want to do, and you have the money, then go for it!
You're going to need a lot of money regardless. You are in no way guaranteed to get any scholarship- the competition is unbelievable. Even with them, the expense is enormous. You do know that you can do an erasmus in an american university? Usually the year before final year. Then you have all the experience of a us university AND none of the mental costs. You can look up on UK unis websites which of them have links with the different us unis.
Reply 11
Not only will you need good grades but you will also need really good extracurricular activities. Going to a university in the USA is not all about being smart, you have to be all-rounded. Since you do not specialize in a specific subject in the first year of university.
Reply 12
I've heard of people getting scholarships in America with sport and they were from England, but I can't really remember if that was a film or real life haha.
Nonetheless, you'd more than likely be competing with kid geniuses whose parents are wealthy and pay for them to do numerous extra curricular activities. Well, maybe not but you get what I'm saying. Scholarships are competitive, no matter what the circumstances, and I personally believe that being a British citizen will lower your chances considerably.
I don't think you'd be able to get a student loan, and I'm not sure about any other loans. I really don't know if it'll be cheaper or what, but you'll have no health insurance over there, so obviously any medical care will cost. Your parents will more than likely have to fund the majority of it, y'know accommodation, tuition fees, the general cost of living.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool, ambitious dream to have but very difficult to achieve. Just don't put your eggs all in one basket, or you'll feel very disheartened. Extra curricular activities would be good to have, y'know a sport or charity work or something? I don't really think there's much preparation you can do.
Reply 13
Original post by Deziah
I've heard of people getting scholarships in America with sport and they were from England, but I can't really remember if that was a film or real life haha.
Nonetheless, you'd more than likely be competing with kid geniuses whose parents are wealthy and pay for them to do numerous extra curricular activities. Well, maybe not but you get what I'm saying. Scholarships are competitive, no matter what the circumstances, and I personally believe that being a British citizen will lower your chances considerably.
I don't think you'd be able to get a student loan, and I'm not sure about any other loans. I really don't know if it'll be cheaper or what, but you'll have no health insurance over there, so obviously any medical care will cost. Your parents will more than likely have to fund the majority of it, y'know accommodation, tuition fees, the general cost of living.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool, ambitious dream to have but very difficult to achieve. Just don't put your eggs all in one basket, or you'll feel very disheartened. Extra curricular activities would be good to have, y'know a sport or charity work or something? I don't really think there's much preparation you can do.

Very very very very unlikely a non American would get a scholarship, as you said, unless you are something exceptional. To be honest, even if you are exceptional I still couldn't see them giving it to a non American student.

It must of been a film lol! To be fair though, if OP has good grades and the MONEY, they do love the Brits though, so OP would prob have a good chance of getting into a good one.
Reply 14
start revising for your SAT I/II's without a sparkling grade in those youre in for a rough ride getting in, also a very large bank balance is required as being a foreign student i dont believe youre entitled to any financial support [unless you can maybe get a scholarship?] good luck though! wish i had the dosh to go to one :rolleyes:
although the lack of booze would be a bit of a bummer...
Reply 15
SAT / ACT

Ivy League do not accept A-Levels.

The competition is more fierce than here in the UK. You will also have to pay alot more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

So you must have been ready to compete against the best now, isn't? by the way, if you are not aware of, the one flaw in US education system is, they prefer their country people first. So you need to compete and win really high.
Reply 17
Extra-curricular activities wont be a problem I dont think, I have a weekend job, am volunteering at an old peoples' home this summer, am taking Silver DofE next summer and play 3 sports competitively outside school. I will ofcourse study for both A-Levels and SATs, and know it will be a big challenge to get in, but hey, its worth a try
Reply 18
Original post by c3ntury
Honestly, I'd recommend you try for a Russell Group university rather than going for an American one if you think American instantly means better :smile:

Our universities aren't all crap you know. :wink:

The Russell Group aren't the Ivy league, don't forget the 1994.
Reply 19
They do 'accept' A levels, as they are generally considered the same standard as 1st year university over there, so depending on the University you may be able to skip the first year, so you still only take 3 years for a bachelors.
If you're prepared to put a lot of work into it, I suggest looking at the websites for a lot of universities (they often call them schools and colleges) and checking out College Confidential, which has helped be get a better understanding of what sort of thing the schools are looking for and the best way to apply.
Also sign up for Collegeboard, who hold the SAT tests. You probably won't need to take any of these until year 12, but you can get the daily question emailed to you for practice. I was actually thinking about taking the SAT I in October year 11, so I would have loads of time to retake and practice the specific parts I scored badly on.

If you can go for it, I suggest you do. I had to give up my dream of going there, despite being a US citizen because I want to do medicine, so it would leave me with around $400,000 of debt, which my parents would never cover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending