The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA5 (18/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boylsie
in the astro book, it says it was radiowaves.

they first saw it as a dim star, not knowing its distance away. they noticed it had very strong radio emissions and a weird spectral emission. They then worked out through redshift that it was very far away.
so they wouldnt have known it was a quasar from it looking like a distant star, it was the radiowaves that made discover it.

but why could they see radiowaves at such a distance? because it was such a large luminosity.

Quasar properties
Quasars are among the oldest and most distant objects in the Universe. A quasar is characterised
by:
its very powerful light output, much greater than the light output of a star
its relatively small size, not much larger than a star
a large red shift indicating its distance is between 5000 and 10 000 light years away.
Many quasars are not like 3C 273 in that they do not produce strong radio emissions
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by James24993
MPC3 jan 2012 would like a word with you. :smile:

I was thinking more along the lines of psychology and RE haha :tongue: I do Edexcel maths so :biggrin:
Reply 1842
Original post by affleming
but why could they see radiowaves at such a distance? because it was such a large luminosity.
http://live.kerboodle.com/NT3/NTLS_RootRepository/ContentPackages/170/aqa_a2_physics_a_online_batch1_acc/product/physa_a2_a_nir_notes3_launch.pdf
Quasar properties
Quasars are among the oldest and most distant objects in the Universe. A quasar is characterised
by:
its very powerful light output, much greater than the light output of a star
its relatively small size, not much larger than a star
a large red shift indicating its distance is between 5000 and 10 000 light years away.
Many quasars are not like 3C 273 in that they do not produce strong radio emissions

the point is, they didnt know it had a large luminosity, they saw it as a dim star, so they thought it was regular until they found radio emission. they then found out its red shift and found out how far away it was. they then realised that it had such a great luminosity.
Reply 1843
Original post by jameslb101
Has anyone got a copy of the paper for the Astro section?

Also, how do you reckon raw mark will convert to UMS. Say I needed 50 UMS, what's that likely to mean I need as a raw mark?

If you needed 50UMS, that'll be about the 30 mark
Has nobody managed to get the option papers yet? Applied?
Reply 1845
could someone just tell me what total ums mark you need for a b in physics is? i think it was 380 or something?
Reply 1846
Original post by aware?
could someone just tell me what total ums mark you need for a b in physics is? i think it was 380 or something?

Reply 1847
Original post by Liam_W_

ok thanks, (was being optimistic lol)
Reply 1848
Original post by aware?
ok thanks, (was being optimistic lol)

We're in the same boat brother! Optimism is all we've got now!
for the medical paper, what for the perceived image of the coloured object in bright light and dim light? i said you wouldn't see the colour and the details of the image(resolution) i dunno :/, and how about the ultrasound 6 marker, what points, i completely flopped the gamma question and just done it now in about a minute :frown:, i looked at the first proof of it then never returned to it, but the last bit was so easy
What do people reckon the grade boundary for turning point and also sectionA would be?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by jamesjiang
What do people reckon the grade boundary for turning point and also sectionA would be?

Low grade boundries. Turning points by far the hardest option. Section a was a motherfuuker too lol. Maybe 50/51 for A 56/58 A*

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Who does bio chem and physics here.
Original post by lucky20
Who does bio chem and physics here.

well ive heard AQA made all the exams extremely unapproachable (the only nice word i could think of) this year!
Did biology. AQA made the sneakiest question in our biology,asking us about a growth factor in roots. We were only taught bout the growth factors effect on leaves and it turns out they have the opposite effect in roots?!?!???:mad: so a lot of people ended up putting the opposite!

What a joke of an examining board.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by lucky20
Low grade boundries. Turning points by far the hardest option. Section a was a motherfuuker too lol. Maybe 50/51 for A 56/58 A*

Do u think both sections are harder than past paper? I heard some questions in section B are from past paper, so some people who have done past paper before may push up the grade boundary I think.

Dude trust me evryone i kno came out that exam crying. I regard myself as a physics prodigy. Every college/ school has one. N i found it a very sneaky paper. Hard at the time. But simple after looking at ms lol. I reckon i got 59/60. N thats with me being a tight fisted examiner. Dont worri. Hopefully fingers crossed boundries are ****e low. Wat do u need for an A overall then?

Original post by lucky20
Dude trust me evryone i kno came out that exam crying. I regard myself as a physics prodigy. Every college/ school has one. N i found it a very sneaky paper. Hard at the time. But simple after looking at ms lol. I reckon i got 59/60. N thats with me being a tight fisted examiner. Dont worri. Hopefully fingers crossed boundries are ****e low. Wat do u need for an A overall then?

how many students in your college did this exam?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U8815
i dont know how many marks i need as i dont know my isa .

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U8815
Around 18 students. Physics has always low numbers of students. I mean the chem exam was ram packed. Why is physics so unpopular. I dont find it hard. I think its on par with chem tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest