The Student Room Group

What to do next year? (3rd year of 6th form)

I want to do something like marine biology/oceanography/ environmental science at uni.

At gcse I got Cs/Bs in art, 2 humanity subjects, both Englishes, RE, ICT & physics with A/A* in bio, chem, maths

In year 12 I got DEEE in bio, math, chem, geog :frown:

This year I'm doing; A2 bio and AS chem, geog and psych

Next year I want to do A2 chem and geog but I don't know what else. I regret taking maths. I don't mind stats though! And psychology is interesting, but I don't really need it for uni and it's a lot of time/effort to do well (I know all a-levels are, but my friends say they put more time into psych to do just aswell in other subjects.)

So what AS should I do alongside chem and geog?

What about ICT or economics? I didn't like gcse ICT (done in year 9), but it'd be completely different. I would do geology/environmental studies, but my sixth form doesn't offer them :frown: And I couldn't be doing with physics, especially the teacher. 3 people have suggested history, but to be fair, all 3 are biased towards it (2 have a degree in it and the other does it at a-level) and the topics don't interest me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Does your school offer EPQ or YASS

If so you could do something better related to your intended degree
Reply 2
:holmes: they do offer the EPQ, but I told it was more for high flyers as a fifth option, so when I enrolled (with my maths teacher form last year), he basically told me to redo all my ASes. But then I found that the biology was a different exam board and I only needed to do 1 retake to really boost that grade up. And I couldn't be doing with maths, so swapped to A2 bio and AS psych. The sixth form was reorganised and moved to a different building at the start of this academic year, so it wasn't very organised this year, only 1 teacher applied for the chemistry post and he resigned a month before our may exam! I'm glad I didn't do ICT this year, cos the computers weren't installed until late october!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Clare~Bear
I want to do something like marine biology/oceanography/ environmental science at uni.

At gcse I got Cs/Bs in art, 2 humanity subjects, both Englishes, RE, ICT & physics with A/A* in bio, chem, maths

In year 12 I got DEEE in bio, math, chem, geog :frown:

This year I'm doing; A2 bio and AS chem, geog and psych

Next year I want to do A2 chem and geog but I don't know what else. I regret taking maths. I don't mind stats though! And psychology is interesting, but I don't really need it for uni and it's a lot of time/effort to do well (I know all a-levels are, but my friends say they put more time into psych to do just aswell in other subjects.)

So what AS should I do alongside chem and geog?

What about ICT or economics? I didn't like gcse ICT (done in year 9), but it'd be completely different. I would do geology/environmental studies, but my sixth form doesn't offer them :frown: And I couldn't be doing with physics, especially the teacher. 3 people have suggested history, but to be fair, all 3 are biased towards it (2 have a degree in it and the other does it at a-level) and the topics don't interest me.

A2 chemistry is a step up and does require some hard work but otherwise its pretty interesting. Geography and chemistry together is pretty good as my friend said it has content overlap, so if your good at one your good at the other.
Reply 4
Original post by ch0wm4n
A2 chemistry is a step up and does require some hard work but otherwise its pretty interesting. Geography and chemistry together is pretty good as my friend said it has content overlap, so if your good at one your good at the other.

I know, they are the two i intend to do, but I need at least 3 subjects. So what should my third be?
Reply 5
I'd go for ICT i think.

Quick Reply

Latest