The Student Room Group

Are we due another war?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Arekkusu
It'll be all right for us, it's the Africans who will die of famine. No need to kill anyone ourselves, Gaia always wins in the end.

Pretty much north 50-85%, 50-85% of west and 20-50% of south and 30% of east Africa would be ok but not the same for the horn of Africa (somalia and ethiopia).
Original post by rmpr97
Oh, so like the EU but worse? All that will happen is that everyone will move to Europe & America which will make things 100x worse because the government & recourses will be crippled due to infrastructure & welfare, which it is now but 100x worse. The same thing happened with the EU, people from eastern europe came to the UK due to it being a welfare state, who by Africa etc standards would be well off. Now imagine that with people who only have a bowl of rice a day. And we all know that the UK is tiny, London can't even cope with it's population.

Well it would certainly not be an over-night thing. The infrastructure needs to be in place, and countries would still need to be responsible for managing their ingoing and outgoing population. But if there were fewer barriers and lucrative reasons to move to the sparser parts of the world, then I think overall it could be beneficial.

But right now? No. Not a chance. War, conflicts and the clash between cultures can make it dangerous to move to some of those parts of the world. It's entirely a metropolis ideology, but it would be difficult to implement.
Reply 82
Original post by SillyEddy
Well it would certainly not be an over-night thing. The infrastructure needs to be in place, and countries would still need to be responsible for managing their ingoing and outgoing population. But if there were fewer barriers and lucrative reasons to move to the sparser parts of the world, then I think overall it could be beneficial.

But right now? No. Not a chance. War, conflicts and the clash between cultures can make it dangerous to move to some of those parts of the world. It's entirely a metropolis ideology, but it would be difficult to implement.

Again thats exactly what the EU was like. And a vast amount of people have flooded in for social security. It would be a horrible idea.
Reply 83
Original post by Arceus
Pretty much north 50-85%, 50-85% of west and 20-50% of south and 30% of east Africa would be ok but not the same for the horn of Africa (somalia and ethiopia).

We westerners really need to learn Africa isn't one big country don't we, thanks Bob Geldof
Original post by MeGusta
And what do you suggest then?

Suggest for what will cause another war or suggest for what we should do to keep the world's population under control??
Reply 85
Original post by michaelhaych
Would you like to borrow a chromosome?

its true, do you know anything about the illuminati?
Space colonies on the moon and Mars before 2050, spread everyone out.
Reply 87
I predict that the next major war will be between Pakistan and the United States, which may even descend into a World War if various allies on each side get involved. If you look at the tensions that already exist with the US and Pakistan, and the fact that OBL was found deep inside Pakistani territory, possibly supported by the ISI, I can't see any other outcome but war. In which case, Afghanistan will look like a cake walk!
Reply 88
Original post by MeGusta
Very controversial, I know, but can the world really support any more people? It's predicted that in 2050 the world will have to sustain 9 billion people. Can the planet really cope with all this strain on its natural resources?
How do you think we can cope? War? Educate the Western world to stop eating excessively?
Discuss.

Well those projections are made on the fact that the world carries on as it does right now for the next 40 years.

Unfortuntely there will be an oil shortage within that time frame so wars over resources are not out of the question. You think America is fighting battles in the middle east for freedom? Bush may look and sound like an idiot, but his calculation behind this move was quite smart. Obama isnt blind to the issues around energy in the states either, however keeping the electorate on his side will be difficult on that issue.

Also your facts are very wrong. The western world produces only a small percentge of population increase. Its a common fact Britains population is growing mainly because of immigration and not through births. Its actually developing countries and 3 world nations which have population issues, so the education is better off going in thier direction.

Besides, good luck telling the chinese their causing a problem, you'll jus get the equivalent of a single finger.
Reply 89
Original post by MeGusta
Very controversial, I know, but can the world really support any more people? It's predicted that in 2050 the world will have to sustain 9 billion people. Can the planet really cope with all this strain on its natural resources?
How do you think we can cope? War? Educate the Western world to stop eating excessively?
Discuss.

We produce excess food for ourselves? A lot of third world countries have the potential to produce more food that us but they don't, its not our fault in the slightest.
Original post by MeGusta
Discuss.

When does eating excessively effect the population?
Reply 91
War's pretty inevitable; we're not culturally evolved enough (as a world) to have the kind of weapons we have. It only takes one person with the means - one person with a finger on a trigger - and the whole world will get dragged down with it. It seems to me that sooner or later, someone's going to start something.
Earth probably can support more people - there is certainly way more than enough room for many billions more, and resources are not as scarce as certain people or organizations would have us believe - but I don't want to be around when that limit is reached. People will be at each others' throats. I hope I'm long dead by the time that happens, and it seems inevitable barring some catastrophe or disease.
There will be plenty of other wars fought before overpopulation becomes a real problem though, we're a war-like species regardless.
(edited 11 years ago)
I say we let Africa starve instead of spending out aid money on giving them food only to have them breed more and make more people to spend money on feeding. It will happen. Africans will soon starve to death and the longer we leave it the more people who will starve there.
By the time the worlds population reaches 9bn in 2050 i think it is a very likely possibility that technology would be so advanced that it could create alternative energy sources or enhance existing ones such as solar and for food i think that we will be able to cope with because as i said GM crops will become very common but in my opinion i think people should be worrying more about the amount of water we have left and how we are going to supply 9bn people with water. And yes it is likely there will be small wars but not involving western powers.
Original post by MeGusta
I don't mean a nuclear war. Maybe just killing a few million, I don't want to sound inhumane, but I don't see any other option. The birth control programme worked to some extent in China but wasn't really a success. If we all ate the daily intake of an average African then the worlds resources would be more evenly balanced across countries, but I don't see that happening with the McDonald's generation.

Who do you suggest we kill, then? :curious:
Reply 96
Original post by MeGusta
Discuss.

Our technology is keeping pace with population growth; we will be able to sustain 9 billion people. We do not need to reduce our standard of living or introduce if we can exploit the Earth's resources more thoroughly and efficiently.
Original post by 3mm@
Wow, a 'controversial' thread with hardly any comments and no negs for the OP, it's a miracle!

Edit: yeah, well there were none :smile:

So true. Thread where you have to debate over something = loads of negging and in some rare cases, just loads of positive rep

Quick Reply

Latest