The Student Room Group

Starting to drive again after a long time

I passed my driving test literally a week before I went to university, and as a result, I've never had time to drive solo or even sit in my own car.

But now the summer after 1st year is coming, and my Dad very kindly (and also because I work late and he was sick of picking me up) is buying and insuring a car for me. The problem is, I was running through some of the things you have to do in a car and I really can't remember some - for example I just looked at a thread on here asking for advice and I had a moment where I couldn't even remember when you shouldn't have your foot fully depressed on the clutch.

Any advice for me? I'm terrified I'm going to get a car and then total it two days later because I forget how to use the handbrake or something...
Reply 1
Maybe ask a local driving instructor to come with you on a refresher course? I must admit, I'm nervous about being away from driving at university. I have driven for 2 years already though, so I should be in a better position than you are.

The clutch is there to move between gears, or to put the car in neutral. You depress the clutch fully, release the throttle, change gear and bring the clutch up steadily whilst applying a small amount of power to the throttle. In normal moving conditions, the clutch should be all the way up - You don't need your foot on it, and there is usually a foot rest beside the clutch for you to rest it on. Also, you're advised not to hold the clutch down whilst driving along - That's called coasting. When you're about to stop (such as at a junction) then slow the car down with the brake, and press the clutch all the way down as you get slow (around 15mph or less). If you don't the car will start to judder and then eventually stall.

Does that help at all? I would heavily suggest getting an instructor, just to help you though. Totalling a car would not be good.
Reply 2
Refresher course for sure.
Reply 3
Cheapest way - find a friend or family member to sit next to you if they can remain calm and give you good advice

Its not that you have forgotten anything but are simply lacking in confidence

Trying to figure it all out whilst not driving will not work for many but getting in the car will bring it all back

Try working out the theory of not falling off a bicycle ...... not easy .... get on it and you might have a little wobble but then it all falls into place within seconds
Reply 4
Thanks for all the help guys, it's really useful. I live in a very quiet area so my initial plan was to just do a simple routes around there - take my Dad to tesco and stuff.

Also, whilst I have a thread, I'm planning to ask my Dad for a Toyota Aygo - good beginner's car? Either that or a Citroen C1 or a Ford Ka, as I learnt to drive in the latter.
Reply 5
I agree with the above posters, take a refresher course or even just ask your instructor to come out with you for one drive. It will help you to remember things, and once you've learnt stuff it's hard to unlearn.
And yeah, I have an Aygo, which is my 5th car but I wish I had one when I started driving. They're really economical, in the lowest insurance group and are fun to drive :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by skunky x
Thanks for all the help guys, it's really useful. I live in a very quiet area so my initial plan was to just do a simple routes around there - take my Dad to tesco and stuff.

Also, whilst I have a thread, I'm planning to ask my Dad for a Toyota Aygo - good beginner's car? Either that or a Citroen C1 or a Ford Ka, as I learnt to drive in the latter.

Ford Ka for sure. As good as the Aygo is, the Ka looks better, has better engines and isn't plagued by a mass recall. You'd be happy with both the diesel or petrol (diesel might be better on the highway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending