The Student Room Group

Help!!! A level German or not?

Hi people,
I've almost finished my GCSE exams and although I've chosen my A level subject options I'm having second thoughts about A level German.
As well as german I'm going to do Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I love the science and I really enjoy german as well. But then again I'm not really sure whether it will actuallly be any use to me. Also, everyone keeps telling my how much work I will have to do if i do the sciences and then german on top will just be too difficult. What do you reckon?
I'm not sure what profession I want to go into yet, but do you think that A level german is a good option or not?
My teacher said that I can be a dentist in Germany but I just gave her a weird look!!:eek:
Would you do german for A level. Or should I just pick something like Maths or English lit instead?
You can't go wrong with the three sciences and maths. They will open up so many doors for you when applying to university.
I took biology, chemistry, psychology and german for AS so I can sort of relate to your situation. I found the work load manageable :smile: It was a lot of work don't get me wrong but I think whichever subject you choose for your fourth subject will be just as much work. German is really useful because modern languages are always viewed great and German is less popular than the other languages so you will have something slightly more unique :smile:

One thing to consider is that the science practicals in my college were around the same time as the speaking exams so that meant march/april was a tough time revising for the practicals but for me I found it better than having them all spread around because I was in full revision mode during these exams and I was more focused!

Another small thing but I found it cute :biggrin: german actually helped me in chemistry because you have to remember E-Isomers and Z-Isomers and the E stands for entgeben and Z for zusammen so that made it easier for me to remember than the rest of the class who didnt take German hehe!

I would say go for it if you enjoy it! It is a worthwhile subject and you never know where a modern language will lead to :smile: good luck deciding! xx
Original post by vedderfan94
You can't go wrong with the three sciences and maths. They will open up so many doors for you when applying to university.

Thanks, but maths and physics together will be murderous!!!
I did maths with german as well as further maths and RE in my a levels, and I enjoyed the course! :smile:
Original post by den-leende-stjärna
I took biology, chemistry, psychology and german for AS so I can sort of relate to your situation. I found the work load manageable :smile: It was a lot of work don't get me wrong but I think whichever subject you choose for your fourth subject will be just as much work. German is really useful because modern languages are always viewed great and German is less popular than the other languages so you will have something slightly more unique :smile:

One thing to consider is that the science practicals in my college were around the same time as the speaking exams so that meant march/april was a tough time revising for the practicals but for me I found it better than having them all spread around because I was in full revision mode during these exams and I was more focused!

Another small thing but I found it cute :biggrin: german actually helped me in chemistry because you have to remember E-Isomers and Z-Isomers and the E stands for entgeben and Z for zusammen so that made it easier for me to remember than the rest of the class who didnt take German hehe!

I would say go for it if you enjoy it! It is a worthwhile subject and you never know where a modern language will lead to :smile: good luck deciding! xx

Thanks! i do really enjoy german and yeah my teachers do say it's unique but I just always wonder if its actaully going to help me. But after reading your reply I think that the work load will be manageable :smile:
Reply 6
I have done Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German in AS. It really depends on you, for your GCSEs did revising for German take up a lot of time? Do you find German much easier than other subjects. German for me in GCSE was one of the easiest subject and I felt that it took the least effort for my AS, some people do seem to struggle at it for AS. I think it's nice to have a language next to all your science's and it isn't considered a 'soft' subject.
Reply 7
Original post by den-leende-stjärna

Haha I remember the isomers, I high fived my German classmate when that came up in Chemistry.
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Thanks! i do really enjoy german and yeah my teachers do say it's unique but I just always wonder if its actaully going to help me. But after reading your reply I think that the work load will be manageable :smile:

It really isn't too bad as long as you keep on top of all your subjects throughout the year :smile: but thats the biggest thing with A-levels, revise each topic as you go along, especially with the sciences and you will do great! German also requires weekly practise of grammar and as much vocab learning as you can fit into your spare time!

Message me if you have any more questions especially after you get your gcse results! :smile:
Original post by Faith01
I have done Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German in AS. It really depends on you, for your GCSEs did revising for German take up a lot of time? Do you find German much easier than other subjects. German for me in GCSE was one of the easiest subject and I felt that it took the least effort for my AS, some people do seem to struggle at it for AS. I think it's nice to have a language next to all your science's and it isn't considered a 'soft' subject.

German isnt exactly easy but i perfer it over english lit and history..any day!! And it does not actaully take much of time because the vocab is in my head and all i can actaully do is revise the sentence structure- which is okay :smile:
Lots of people in my German class had chosen sciences and maths for their other 3 ASs, so it's not unusual. I agree with Faith01, German took up very little of my time in terms of revision for exams compared to my other subjects. Also, I don't know how helpful it would be for getting onto a science degree (although apparently it's good to have a range of subjects) but a language A level would certainly be helpful in getting a job later on :smile:
Nav you numpty i know you can do it seriously! People make A levels out to be like the devil or something but im sure you can keep up with the work load. Also, you are really good at German nauturally anyway! You love the language and the people! (wink) lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Nav you numpty i know you can do it seriously! People make A levels out to be like the devil or something but im sure you can keep up with the work load. Also, you are really good at German nauturally anyway! You love the language and the people! (wink) lol.

Yeah I know but i WAS NOT impressed by the people we saw on the exchange although you had something for Robert :wink:
Reply 13
German isnt exactly easy but i perfer it over english lit and history..any day!! And it does not actaully take much of time because the vocab is in my head and all i can actaully do is revise the sentence structure- which is okay :smile:

Then I definitely recommend you to go for it! I have thoroughly enjoyed German at A-Level, I actually really miss it. People do make A Level sound monstrous like someone suggested, it really isn't bad, if you have worked hard for GCSE and you are willing to work even harder at A Level, I don't see why you wouldn't excel.

Yeah I know but i WAS NOT impressed by the people we saw on the exchange although you had something for Robert :wink:

Aww robert was a gentleman!. Sorry ill stop ruining your thread now lol! x :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest