The Student Room Group

Am I being judgemental?

There's a guy who I have known since December, he asked for my number when I was at Argos doing some Christmas shopping and he works there. We have met up twice after that, and I always have so much fun with him, and we talk probably around 3-4 times a week, however recently it's becoming a lot more frequent.

He always says how much he likes me and that I'm the kind of girl to settle down with and all that. He has dropped hints a few times via text that the next time I see him, he will probably ask to make it official.

I know how much he likes, me, but I question how much I like him. He is great, and we do click, however I'm not sure if he is someone I want to be with. He didn't go to university, works full time in Argos, hangs with a bad crowd and smokes weed on a regular. It's not something I would look for in a partner. Like I said however, we do get along really well and I am fond of him. Am I being judgemental basing my decisions on where he works and who he hangs out with? He isn't the kind of guy I would be proud to bring home to meet my parents. I don't want to be judgemental at all because if someone told me I wasn't good enough for them because I don't go to Oxbridge or something, I would be really upset, but it's just not what I am looking for.

I know some of you on here may say it's better to be with someone who treats you right, rather than someone who has great qualifications and prospects but treats you badly, but I say can't I have both? Should I hold out for someone who I feel is more suited to me?
Reply 1
Original post by stargirl63
He didn't go to university, works full time in Argos,

Am I being judgemental basing my decisions on where he works and who he hangs out with?

Yes, you are being judgemental. A bit snobbish and shallow, too. :facepalm:
Reply 2
Not necessarily. I find girls who have ambitions more attractive. Is he intending to stay at Argos? Does he have any goals or aspirations? These are the questions I would find the answer to before making a decision.
I don't think your being judgemental you just don't want to be around someone who smokes weed and has a dead end job. Fair enough. Ultimately it's what your comfortable with and if his friends and smoking weed make you feel uncomfortable than you don't have to deal with it. As for the job, he might not always work at Argos... but it sounds as though he might.
Reply 4
Original post by G-man89
Not necessarily. I find girls who have ambitions more attractive. Is he intending to stay at Argos? Does he have any goals or aspirations? These are the questions I would find the answer to before making a decision.

This. Ambition is important, even if it's to work his way up at Argos to head office etc, I don't think I could be with someone who didn't want to better themselves.
Reply 5
If he "hangs with a bad crowd", that would be a no for me.
It's perfectly possible to find someone who treats you well AND have ambitions in their life...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending