The Student Room Group

Working a night shift

Hi there

On Saturday night (7 pm to 7 am) I will be doing my first night shift. Given that I finished my working week today, what do people tend to do in preparation? Some people seem to get up as normal, and then have a kip a few hours before going into work. After the shift they recover in bed till about 2 pm.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Everyone is different. When I'm on nights I tend to sleep until about two to three in the afternoon, then get up and potter about doing stuff I'd do on the evening. Have a large meal and then go to work. In the morning after my shift I usually go straight to bed, especially if I'm in again the following night. I find that works for me.
Never done a night shift, but I'd stay up later than usual the night before so I'm later, have a strong coffee before starting and keep busy, no stress.
My thinking is to sleep now, get up early (9ish), run, sleep from 4-6, get up, go to work. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
i used to wake up at 5pm, do 10pm - 8am and straight to bed when i got in.. but i had to do other things in the evening.. ideal is getting the latest you can but be on time to work and go to bed a few hours after you get in
Reply 5
Original post by addylad
My thinking is to sleep now, get up early (9ish), run, sleep from 4-6, get up, go to work. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I could never get up that early.
tip: buy some thick curtains to block out all the light!
Original post by moonkatt
Everyone is different. When I'm on nights I tend to sleep until about two to three in the afternoon, then get up and potter about doing stuff I'd do on the evening. Have a large meal and then go to work. In the morning after my shift I usually go straight to bed, especially if I'm in again the following night. I find that works for me.

That's what I used to do as well - I would be working until anywhere up to 3am. When I got home I'd go straight to bed, and get up ~8 hours later. When I got up I'd get ready, do housekeeping / admin / other stuff around the house, and then go to work. As work often started as early as 1pm, there wasn't really enough time to start going out shopping etc., so that was left for days off.

IME, however, it's far worse when they change you from nights to early mornings (6am in my case) with only a day inbetween to adjust - I managed to fall asleep whilst leaning (standing up) against a wall once when they did that!
I used to work 10pm-6am. I'd go to bed when I got in from work til 12, then have breakfast/go online/watch stuff til 2, then sleep again til about 6pm, have dinner and go to work. I was lucky, I had no problems sleeping in the daylight! Some people I work with do though, depends on the person. I can sleep through anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending