The Student Room Group

A Level Physics of Chemistry?

Hey everybody, really struggling on which subject to pick for AS! I'm definitely doing Maths, English Lit and History. I want to do a science as well though so I can keep more doors open. Physics goes well with Maths so I was leaning towards that but will Chemistry give me more options at University? Any advice or suggestions would help a lot! I think I'll get a A in GCSE Maths and either a B or an A in Chemistry+Physics. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Or Chemistry* Typo haha
Reply 2
Depends what you want to do at uni, tbh. If you're naturally good at Physics + Maths, Physics seems to be the better option. Chemistry, on the other hand, I found it pretty interesting but if you're planning on taking it to A2, be prepared to spit blood if you want a decent grade.
Reply 3
Original post by etothepii
Depends what you want to do at uni, tbh. If you're naturally good at Physics + Maths, Physics seems to be the better option. Chemistry, on the other hand, I found it pretty interesting but if you're planning on taking it to A2, be prepared to spit blood if you want a decent grade.

I'm not entirely sure, I think I want to do Law but I want a backup as well in case I change my mind.
Reply 4
Original post by swylde
I'm not entirely sure, I think I want to do Law but I want a backup as well in case I change my mind.

If you think you might change your mind to something science-y, Chemistry might open a lot of doors, but that shouldn't be the only reason why you pick Chemistry.
Tbh, the maths in A-level physics is pretty much GCSE maths so I wouldn't really say they complement each other at A-level. But pick physics because it's awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by vedderfan94
Tbh, the maths in A-level physics is pretty much GCSE maths so I wouldn't really say they complement each other at A-level. But pick physics because it's awesome! :biggrin:

So is Chemistry :wink:
Reply 7
If its law you really want to do pick chemistry.

Purely because that opens up more doors patent law wise.

If your not good at chemistry don't pick it. It is hard.
Reply 8
Chemistry is the harder of the two, and probably the hardest A level out there. However, it opens up far more doors than physics, and its the basic science that links all the other sciences together. Therefore, I'd recommend chemistry.
Personally I would say that chemistry is the hardest of two, but you could drop after AS and I agree that mathematics goes well with physics. Which subject do you enjoy the most at GCSE? If you're going to do well, you have to pick a subject you actually enjoy.
I really like chemistry, but it's also super hard. But with some hard graft you should come out with a good grade.

However, if you don't really like chemistry and aren't prepared to work hard then don't bother with 'cause you won't come out with a good grade. Lots of people take chemistry then drop it after the January exams.
Original post by navarre
Chemistry is the harder of the two, and probably the hardest A level out there. However, it opens up far more doors than physics, and its the basic science that links all the other sciences together. Therefore, I'd recommend chemistry.

If you want to start the debate of most basic science, surely that would be Physics and not Chemistry?

Physics is the study of particles and the world around us. Chemistry is a deeper understanding of the interactions between those particles, and so technically Physics encompasses Chemistry.

In reality though I view Chemistry as a completely different discipline because of how different it is. At a fundamental level it is part of Physics but due to it's depth it's a separate route of study.
Original post by ThatPerson
If you want to start the debate of most basic science, surely that would be Physics and not Chemistry?

Physics is the study of particles and the world around us. Chemistry is a deeper understanding of the interactions between those particles, and so technically Physics encompasses Chemistry.

In reality though I view Chemistry as a completely different discipline because of how different it is. At a fundamental level it is part of Physics but due to it's depth it's a separate route of study.

At a fundamental level, it is pretty much applied physics.
Reply 13
I am willing to work hard on whatever subjects I pick. My Chemistry teacher (Head of Science) thinks I'd fine doing any of the Sciences. Both interest me but Physics slightly more. To be honest I want to pick the subject that's going to keep my options open more :smile:
I do both chemistry and physics but I enjoy physics more than chemistry. But, the thing is you should do something you enjoy because if you don't enjoy it you won't do as well and also you would want to bash your head against the wall when it comes to revision.

not that I am saying do physics because it is your choice but physics is more interesting I think :biggrin:
Reply 15
Maybe I should look at my results in August and choose whichever one I get the better grade in? I might like Physics slightly more but it sounds like Chemistry would be the wiser option.
Try and find out which exam boards you're doing as well. Because I have found AS AQA Chemistry much easier than AS Edexcel Physics.
Reply 17
Original post by navarre

I totally agree with the poster. My teacher warned us that even though some people may have got A/A* at GCSE, there is a huge margin for failure in Chemistry. You can know the stuff, and learn it all, and understand it, but there's less 'safety' in it. My friend in her January exam worked really hard for her Chemistry, and only barely passed. The key in Chemistry is precision, and I cannot stress that enough.

I'd say it's more interesting than Physics, but I'm biased because I didn't like it at GCSE :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by ThatPerson

No. Chemistry is known as the central science, because it is relevant in biology, physics, psychology, geology, medicine, geography...

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_central_science
Original post by navarre
No. Chemistry is known as the central science, because it is relevant in biology, physics, psychology, geology, medicine, geography...

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_central_science

Ah, after reading your first post, I think I misread. I didn't see the "connects the other sciences".

Quick Reply