The Student Room Group

I dont think ive done enough work experience...

heyyy everyone...
I am thinking of applying to do veterinary medicine in uni but I dont think ive done enough work experience and im not sure if I can cram it in during the holidays =.="

ive only done 4 days help looking after some abandoned or stray cats and have 3 weeks planned at a wildlife animal centre helping with reptiles and turtles but thats it!! im not sure where to start looking but I know that theres a veterinary practice near my house but it ALWAYS seems to be closed...

Can someone please give me some advice...thank you ^.~
xxxxx
Reply 1
Original post by foreverfriends
heyyy everyone...
I am thinking of applying to do veterinary medicine in uni but I dont think ive done enough work experience and im not sure if I can cram it in during the holidays =.="

ive only done 4 days help looking after some abandoned or stray cats and have 3 weeks planned at a wildlife animal centre helping with reptiles and turtles but thats it!! im not sure where to start looking but I know that theres a veterinary practice near my house but it ALWAYS seems to be closed...

Can someone please give me some advice...thank you ^.~
xxxxx

Sorry to be blunt but you will need to get more work experience before you apply with a realistic chance of getting in. It'll help you to learn more about the role of a vet as well which is a really important part of deciding if this is the career for you. I highly doubt that even Cambridge (who are the one vet school who don't really require any work experience) would consider your application with the current levels you have. People travel to the other side of the counrty to get work experience so if the vets closest to you is closed then get on google and have a look in Yellow Pages and look further afield. Most people on this site aim for Liverpool's minimum work experience requirements which are detailed below. The most important place for you to start is in a small/large or mixed animal practice so you can understand the clinical life of a vet. You will then need to get some farm experience - i.e. dairy/beef farm, pigs, lambing - and preferably equine too. If you can't fit it in during the summer holidays and you're going into your last year of 6th form this September then I would recommend seriously considering how motivated you are to get into this exceptionally competetive and demanding course, then, if you're still sure you want to study veterinary, take a gap year and fill it up with the kind of work experience below.

Any more q's feel free to post but in the mean time look on the veterinary school websites at the universities that you're thinking of applying to, there's a lot of information on there that is esily accessible and save you having to read long boring monologues such as mine! :tongue:

From Liverpool's Website
Candidates should have spent a minimum of 6 weeks gaining experience of the husbandry of a range of animals, on commercial livestock farms, in commercial stables and in commercial or rescue kennels / cattery. It is also beneficial to have gained experience in other veterinary-related sectors e.g. abattoirs, laboratories, zoos or wildlife centres. Candidates should also have completed at least 4 weeks in veterinary practice. As a minimum, experience should be gained in at least two different practices, preferably one small animal and one large animal (mainly farm / equine) practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending