The Student Room Group

Using the bus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Straight up G
How so? :holmes:

You don't say a destination to the driver. You just get on and touch your Oyster Card/wave your travelcard or pay £2 and job done. You just stay on the bus until you get to where you want to go.

Here's a useful guide: http://www.moneysavinglondon.com/Travel-in-London/best-ways-to-get-around.html
i can't remember the last time i went on a bus... in particular Boris buses:frown:
Original post by InnerTemple
You don't say a destination to the driver. You just get on and touch your Oyster Card/wave your travelcard or pay £2 and job done. You just stay on the bus until you get to where you want to go.

Here's a useful guide: http://www.moneysavinglondon.com/Travel-in-London/best-ways-to-get-around.html

Ahh right. That's the case on a lot of buses nationwide though, especially getting on a bus going into town.

And obviously London bus drivers don't smile, don't hand you your ticket, try their hardest not to speak to you.
Original post by CJM13
The ticket is seems would be cheapest for me is a FirstDay ticket, as I need to make a couple of changes. Would it be seen as odd to buy a day ticket at 6pm?

Nope, when I'm at uni a daysaver is £3.20 versus a single at £2.40 so I nearly always get a day even if I'm just going out in the evening.
And obviously London bus drivers don't smile, don't hand you your ticket, try their hardest not to speak to you.

That's the common stereotype. I have met a lot of nice London Bus Drivers. I remember one who let me on his bus for free when I was on my way to an interview in the pouring rain. I was also on a night bus at about 2/3am when heavy snow hit London in February - the driver did his best trying to allow as many people on the bus as possible and battle through the snow.

In general, things like chatting to the bus driver are not as common in any event - it's different in London. I remember when I used to get the bus to uni, I'd often see the same bus driver a few times in the week and it got to the point where we would have a quick chat. In London, it is rare to see the same driver ever again... and they probably won't remember you anyway. There are some nice things though which brighten up the day - eccentric tube train drivers who make funny announcements are one of them.

I don't know if anyone here reads the Metro on their journeys, but there is often a couple of thankyou messages left for London bus drivers in the 'good deed feed.' They aren't all bad - it is just the grumpy ones that get remembered! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
How so? :holmes:

If you look through the thread, some people have already explained it. In Greater London, the only type of ticket you can buy on a bus with cash is a single ticket, which is a flat fare at £2.30. Most people use Oyster cards though because they're cheaper and quicker and save paper, and you touch it on the yellow card reader by the driver and it will deduct £1.35 for a flat single fare (unless you have a season ticket, are entitled to free bus and tram travel cos you're either 19 or younger in education or a pensioner, or have already reached the daily price cap of £4.20, then it won't charger any extra). This site explains it quite well: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14415.aspx

Oh, I've just seen that you live in East Ham, so maybe it was a waste of time for me to write that? :lol: I've only travelled on buses outside London rather rarely, but I know that whenever I've been on the bus to Bluewater in Kent it costs something like £3.80 for a single and £6.20 for a return (these prices are approx cos I can't remember the exact prices off the top of my head). And the one time I went to Brighton, I bought a PlusBus ticket (I think it cost £2) with my train ticket, which works as a day pass that I just showed to the driver on any bus I went on and was let on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't feel bad about it...I rarely use the bus as I find them quite scary and confusing! The last time I went on a bus was about a year ago to go shopping with friends. I know its only getting on the bus but for shy people like me it can be intimidating the first time on your own.

You usually ask for a single or return ticket, depending on whether or not you're taking the bus back.
You should stick your arm out when the bus comes as sometimes the driver doesn't stop!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
They don't do returns where i live either...

When i was on work ex i had to get the bus every morning and every morning i asked for a ticket to 'iron church'. The first morning he replied with 'do you mean the queen Elizabeth?' so i said yes as that was 200m further down so i guessed the stop had changed. I then got off the bus at the iron church, where i wanted to be. The same kept happening every morning then on the Friday when he asked i told him that no actually, i got off at the iron church not the queen Elizabeth. He charged me 40p less, because it was between the two stops that the fare increased! He knew full well where i wanted to be and only charged more because he knew he'd get away with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending