The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6960
Original post by minidoofy
How do you know when u have been approved?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

You get a declaration through with your loan amount on it. Or at least my sister did :P
Reply 6961
When applying I was asked for passport details, I don't have a passport so I didn't put it in, so I sent in my birth certificate.
I've now been sent a passport detail form in the post. I don't have a passport that hasn't expired, as I haven't been abroad in like 6 years. I don't want to have to spend £75 on a passport that I'm not going to use and with money I don't have. It says though that if I don't send the details in then I won't get my finance.
Help.
xx
Original post by Shnoon
When applying I was asked for passport details, I don't have a passport so I didn't put it in, so I sent in my birth certificate.
I've now been sent a passport detail form in the post. I don't have a passport that hasn't expired, as I haven't been abroad in like 6 years. I don't want to have to spend £75 on a passport that I'm not going to use and with money I don't have. It says though that if I don't send the details in then I won't get my finance.
Help.
xx

Did u send a birth certificate details form with it? if not print one off the website and u should be ok

Hi, my application has been accepted and I'm entitled to ALG, tuition fees grant, maintenance loan and tuition fees loan, but I'm going to Bangor and should also be getting the Bangor Bursary due to low household income apparently. This hasn't shown up in my application at all, and I'm also hoping to study some modules through the medium of welsh and I'm meant to get some money for that but again, hasn't shown up. Does anyone know why?
Original post by madders94
Hi, my application has been accepted and I'm entitled to ALG, tuition fees grant, maintenance loan and tuition fees loan, but I'm going to Bangor and should also be getting the Bangor Bursary due to low household income apparently. This hasn't shown up in my application at all, and I'm also hoping to study some modules through the medium of welsh and I'm meant to get some money for that but again, hasn't shown up. Does anyone know why?

That won't show up on your student finance application because it's not from them, so there's no need to worry. It'll be arranged through the uni itself and they probably have something on their website about it.
What does your household income have to be to get the maximum maintenance loan of £5,500?
I'm so confused! I'm hoping to stay at home while I'm at uni but if I don't get into my first choice, I'll have to live in at uni. So, do I apply for a maintainance loan or not? Also, will that affect how much I get?
I sent off my student finance before the deadline of 31st of May, but haven't heard back from them yet, no letters of anything, is that ok? I'm starting to fret!
Original post by blueberrymuffin444
I sent off my student finance before the deadline of 31st of May, but haven't heard back from them yet, no letters of anything, is that ok? I'm starting to fret!

Check your account online if you have one, I didn't receive any letters but then I checked my account online and it had been approved :smile:
Reply 6969
I applied for Student Finance a few weeks ago and put that I'm living at home, but what would happen if I miss my firm and insurance and end up going to a university where I have to live outside. Can I change the amount of my loan then?
Reply 6970
Did u send a birth certificate details form with it? if not print one off the website and u should be ok

I did, they took all the rest and sent me my birth certificate back, without any notice that it wasnt acceptable. Which is why I'm confused xx
How do you know when u have been approved?

You can keep checking online, by logging into your SF account. They'll send you a letter in the post, but it sometimes takes around 4-8 weeks...
Reply 6972
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me..

I've recently applied for student finance and I made an error in my application stating that I didn't want to take my household income into consideration when infact i do as i am eligiable for an ALG grant, so I called student finance Wales and they said they would amend my mistake and that I would have to send off other information to support my application. Since then I have sent off all the information asked for and recieved it back with no confirmation of my application or whether it has been successful. I phoned up to question this and the women on the phone said that my application was being reassessed and it will be between 6-8 weeks until I here anything from them.
My worry is that if my application is unsuccessful it leaves me very little time to gather finance from other sources. I was wondering if anyone knows the success rate for students applying for an ALG grant or if there is a chance I won't be successful?

I'm concerned because without the ALG I won't be able to afford University!

Thanks!
Reply 6973
Hi, I was wondering if I have a case or not in the following circumstances.

Basically, when I filled in the SF application my household income was over £50,000, so no grants or bursaries - fine. However, since then, my parents are in the process of a divorce and, due to one of my parents moving out, the household income is now much much lower, to the extent where I'd need a grant. SF originally said they'd give the grant and the university said, too, they'd give me a significant bursary.

However, they've since asked for it all back, saying I'm not entitled for the money.
Basically, if I can't get the money then I won't be able to afford anything other than the accommodation, as the maintenance loan *just* about covers the accommodation fee. My parents can't afford to give me any money, either, so it's just my savings, which won't last more than a year. What should I do? I've appealed to SF and my parents have given evidence of the divorce and the moving out, but they've not said anything in weeks.
Reply 6974
I sent my application off in April and they got it may 1st, since then I've had it back a few times saying there was mistakes and now its been 2 months to get the application properly finished

The advisor on the phone said they just needed the last piece to sign it off and it was finished, but will my loans and things be delayed?
Reply 6975
Urgent help please: Im submitting my student finance by form and when it comes to the parents information, they are asking for financial details for the tax year 2010-11 for parents. Why is it not from 2011 - april 2012? Thanks
Original post by A128
Urgent help please: Im submitting my student finance by form and when it comes to the parents information, they are asking for financial details for the tax year 2010-11 for parents. Why is it not from 2011 - april 2012? Thanks

I'm not sure why this is. I know you definitely have to send evidence from the previous year though because this is what I had to do, but not sure why they don't just ask for evidence from this tax year :s-smilie:
Reply 6977
Original post by rach2012x
I'm not sure why this is. I know you definitely have to send evidence from the previous year though because this is what I had to do, but not sure why they don't just ask for evidence from this tax year :s-smilie:

Oh right, so you only need to send evidence from the previous tax year?
Original post by A128
Oh right, so you only need to send evidence from the previous tax year?

I think so, so that would be 2010-2011, yeah?
Reply 6979
Original post by rach2012x
I think so, so that would be 2010-2011, yeah?

Yeah. Ok thanks I didnt realise I thought it was this tax year so made my parents rush and now realised its not even needed :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending