The Student Room Group

Is uni even viable with a retake??

Hi I just finished my last A2 exams a week ago along with them I re-took some As modules too. But here is what I predict my grades will be for each of my subjects:
Maths AS: C
Chem AS: C or D
Psychology : Probably an E for both as and A2.

Now I've already had the normal 2 years of A - level education and decided during my 2nd year to retake my maths As modules only and do the A2 ones during my retake year (3rd year). During my First year I did Biology but I dropped it and picked up chemistry in my second year. Whereas Psychology was a total flop this year and the last.
My question is should I bother with an extra year and re-sit some modules in my chemistry and Psychology OR (if it is even possible now and with my grades) to apply for a foundation year at a decent Uni for Mathematics. Since, I got an A and a B for my first 2 maths units and probably a D or a C for my S1 unit. I should add that I am worried that a re-sit year will be all in vain as I have to apply to Universities with these ****ty as and a2 grades, so I may not even be able to go to a decent uni whereas a foundation year may open more doors in terms of Good Uni placements.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I didn't do as well as expected, took this year to retake and reapply, and it's worked out well for me. I applied for 5 courses, and had 5 offers (including from Birmingham, Liverpool and UWIC), so don't think that universities won't accept retakes! Taking the year to resit has been pretty useful, as I've been working (and saving!), and it's given me a chance to decide what I want to do.

However, think hard about where you'd re-do your exams. I just went back to school for actual exams, and studied at home before. This worked for History (went up to an A), but not so well for physics, so unless you can properly motivate yourself to study at home, it might be an idea to go to college to repeat the year?
Reply 2
I'm from sweden... do you know if it works the same with retakes for international students? I might take a gap year if the uni do not accept me (but hope they do:colondollar: )

Original post by jeddows
I didn't do as well as expected, took this year to retake and reapply, and it's worked out well for me. I applied for 5 courses, and had 5 offers (including from Birmingham, Liverpool and UWIC), so don't think that universities won't accept retakes! Taking the year to resit has been pretty useful, as I've been working (and saving!), and it's given me a chance to decide what I want to do.

However, think hard about where you'd re-do your exams. I just went back to school for actual exams, and studied at home before. This worked for History (went up to an A), but not so well for physics, so unless you can properly motivate yourself to study at home, it might be an idea to go to college to repeat the year?
I achieved similar results (CCDD) and I ended up taking a 3rd year and it was the best decision I could ever have made because I was much more focused and I knew what the consequences of not studying would be this time! I basically hve resat every exam I ever took in college and I got 5 offers from Nottingham, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Cardiff and Bangor! It is possible, you just need to show the universities how dedicated you are, good luck! xxx
Reply 4
Original post by Lovdel
I'm from sweden... do you know if it works the same with retakes for international students? I might take a gap year if the uni do not accept me (but hope they do:colondollar: )

Unfortunately I don't sorry :frown:

tbh the best thing to do is if in doubt, email the university :L that way you'll get an answer from someone who (should) know their stuff :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest