The Student Room Group

What is a Joint Honours degree? English and Sociology

So I want to become a secondary school teacher, able to teach English and Sociology. I've been trying to work out how to go about this, and I think I can get a degree in my chosen subject first, then attain a PCGE as a postgrad. However, I've found several English/Sociology joint honours degrees, and wondered if they were as good as a degree in the single subjects? What would this mean in terms of being able to teach the subjects?
Original post by ChloeBelle
So I want to become a secondary school teacher, able to teach English and Sociology. I've been trying to work out how to go about this, and I think I can get a degree in my chosen subject first, then attain a PCGE as a postgrad. However, I've found several English/Sociology joint honours degrees, and wondered if they were as good as a degree in the single subjects? What would this mean in terms of being able to teach the subjects?

Don't know about the teaching side, but joint honours means you will not cover the same extent of ground in each subject as single honours students, but then you have knowledge across two subjects, which could be very useful as you have the option of teaching either subject. This would probably make you more employable, and joint degrees can be regarded highly by employers as you have a broader range of knowledge rather than focused on one subject.

Sorry, know that was a bit vague, but hope you found some of it useful!
Original post by Butterfly9595
the option of teaching either subject. This would probably make you more employable, and joint degrees can be regarded highly by employers as you have a broader range of knowledge rather than focused on one subject.

I didn't think of it like that, how did I forget this?! I am on a Joint Honours degree starting from September, makes me feel better than I already have been. Good for me cos I'd like to be a teacher/work in the Media Industry so I've got a lot of choices even though there will be a lack of opportunities for jobs.
Gives me a better chance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending