The Student Room Group

The AEA/Oxford/S Paper superthread

Scroll to see replies

Carter_C
Oh shiz I've been practicing AEA
So this -link- is the Oxford admissions test, and its completely separate to the AEA test?
Are both of them on just C1 and C2? My school's given me no information lol

The Oxford admissions test is run by Oxford, sat in November and based on C1/C2

The AEA is run by Edexcel, sat in June, and based on C1-C4
Reply 121
Carter_C
Oh shiz I've been practicing AEA
So this -link- is the Oxford admissions test, and its completely separate to the AEA test?
Are both of them on just C1 and C2? My school's given me no information lol

Don't worry, AEA is harder imo. It's completely seperate. Oxf requires C1/C2 only. AEA requires all C1-4. Mega-important to do thoose Oxford Admissions tests if you want to give yourself a fair chance - you can count on most people to have done them (you probably know that already).
Ooh lol alright
Thankyou both
anyone notice the increased difficulty in the oxford papers? been an enormous dip from o6 (admittedly it was the first ever blanket admission test) for sucessful applicants which was at 85% to o9 which was 70%. hopefully its hard enough already now?
Reply 124
Sitting this paper in June, haven't even finished C4 yet.
Going through past papers at the moment, I can understand most of the questions, but to come up with that during the exam is another ****ing story. I don't know, I'll keep doing papers I guess.
Reply 125
Doing the AEA this year, and haven't started preparing yet. Is that bad?

Are you allowed to use shortcuts that are outside the syllabus? For example, I know this is a bit redundant (seeing as this is just a longer option), but would you get marks for doing something like using a Laplace transform to solve a differential equation in the AEA?
Original post by Zhy
Doing the AEA this year, and haven't started preparing yet. Is that bad?

There's still plenty of time

Are you allowed to use shortcuts that are outside the syllabus? For example, I know this is a bit redundant (seeing as this is just a longer option), but would you get marks for doing something like using a Laplace transform to solve a differential equation in the AEA?

Probably not
Reply 127
Can anybody recommend a source of difficult A level questions that would be decent preparation for AEA? I want to start doing preparation as soon as soon as I finish C4 in a couple of weeks and switch into revision mode, but I don't want to 'waste' the past papers just yet.
Original post by und
Can anybody recommend a source of difficult A level questions that would be decent preparation for AEA? I want to start doing preparation as soon as soon as I finish C4 in a couple of weeks and switch into revision mode, but I don't want to 'waste' the past papers just yet.

I used this one quite a lot
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-The-Core-Course-Level/dp/0859503062/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331507221&sr=8-3
It doesn't really help you with the long questions side of things, but there's a lot of computation questions where the level is the same/ higher than the AEA.
Original post by und

See attached. However, the past papers go back to 2001 so I wouldn't worry about wasting them.
Reply 130
my teacher asked me if i am interested in AEA or not today.
though i would to have a goal at this, but i am not sure if i am able to do it or not.
is that really difficult? i am doing AS further maths at school and A2 on my own, but i was just in the middle of FP2 and didn't start FP3.

Any advice?
Reply 131
Right then, who's taking AEA on Tuesday?
How're you all feeling?

I did a past paper a few months ago and blitzed it, felt really good (must of bee a particularly easy one). Sat down and did two yesterday, and they didn't go very well at all. Now I'm feeling an awful lot less confident!
Original post by MHRed
How're you all feeling?

I did a past paper a few months ago and blitzed it, felt really good (must of bee a particularly easy one). Sat down and did two yesterday, and they didn't go very well at all. Now I'm feeling an awful lot less confident!

Hey, im sitting it tomorrow too :smile:.

I don't personally find them that difficult- there is only so much you need to know (since the AEA is based all on core material) so there is only so much they can ask you. Personally i hate the vectors at the end (just because i hate vectors- and it also tends to be the biggest question in terms of marks) but the rest tends to go very well. The big calculus area questions can also be a bit of a drag, but such is life :tongue:.

I've only done 1 paper fully and 2-3 papers partially so i'm going to spend some time today selectively choosing the questions that i think i can't do (mainly vectors) in a bid to improve. GL tomorrow!
Reply 133
Original post by In One Ear
Hey, im sitting it tomorrow too :smile:.

I don't personally find them that difficult- there is only so much you need to know (since the AEA is based all on core material) so there is only so much they can ask you. Personally i hate the vectors at the end (just because i hate vectors- and it also tends to be the biggest question in terms of marks) but the rest tends to go very well. The big calculus area questions can also be a bit of a drag, but such is life :tongue:.

I've only done 1 paper fully and 2-3 papers partially so i'm going to spend some time today selectively choosing the questions that i think i can't do (mainly vectors) in a bid to improve. GL tomorrow!

When I first looked I hated the vectors questions, but having looked back, it does seem they ask similar questions each year, so hopefully there won't be a surprise tomorrow.

You need AEA for your uni offer?

Good luck too, btw :smile:
Original post by MHRed
When I first looked I hated the vectors questions, but having looked back, it does seem they ask similar questions each year, so hopefully there won't be a surprise tomorrow.

You need AEA for your uni offer?

Good luck too, btw :smile:

Yes, assuming i didn't get a 2 in STEP1- my performance will be very borderline.
Original post by MHRed
How're you all feeling?

I am taking it for fun tomorrow, not a uni requirement.

I suck at AEA vectors. Trig and calculus are my strength.

I have also just done one paper, got around 90 in it but that was because the vectors question was similar to one of the question i had previously done so i knew it.
Reply 136
Yes, assuming i didn't get a 2 in STEP1- my performance will be very borderline.

Yeah, same here! Warwick, I assume then?

Original post by raheem94

I have also just done one paper, got around 90 in it but that was because the vectors question was similar to one of the question i had previously done so i knew it.

Ah, the trig's one of my weaker parts, a lot more complex then c4 questions, that's a good thing though. Having said that, I've spent last few days working on aea, I'll do a few more questions tonight, hopefully that'll sort me out :smile:
Reply 137

How'd you guys find it then?
I thought it was okay - there were a few sub questions I didn't answer, lost 15 marks for sure, so after that it just depends how correct everything else I put was!
Original post by MHRed
How'd you guys find it then?
I thought it was okay - there were a few sub questions I didn't answer, lost 15 marks for sure, so after that it just depends how correct everything else I put was!

We discussed it on this thread.
Reply 139
We discussed it on this thread.

Haha, I'm a bit late then...cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest