The Student Room Group

Should families under 25 lose housing benefit?

Scroll to see replies

If you claim housing benefit, you don't always get help with the full rent. You may be forced to move because your house is deemed too big, which someone else needs. So, you move to a smaller place. Your child finishes uni and has no choice but to live with you. How can they if you're in a one bedroom flat?
Reply 61
Original post by WelshBluebird
And if:
1 - Their parents are abusive.
2 - Their parents say no.
3 - Their parents live in an area that will be hugely detrimental to their chance of getting a job.
4 - Their parents simply cannot take them in (maybe they have downsized after the person left for uni).
5 - They have a low paid job and such need help to pay rent. Forcing them back to their parents will make unemployment worse.

1.) Then they should move in with relatives that are not abusive as a freind of mine has done. In a lot cases of this the police an child prtection will often have records of this.

2.) Their parents dont have a choice. Its their offspring and they must look after them. Its very rare parents will see their child on the street without there bieng a history of abuse.

3.) Then they apply to areas that do have the work while at home. Land the job and then move to the area that has the work. Living in an area where there is work but not working only increases the number of benefits a young person can live on and encourages apathy.

4.) Any parent who downsizes while their child is at uni is mad. Though ive never heard of a 1 bedroom house so im sure there can be allowances made. If not there are other family members or even freinds they can move in with.

5.) If you have a low paid job then you can claim working tax credits to top up your wages. The one kind of person the government likes is a working one.
Reply 62
Is this government forgetting that it's the older people who benefitted most from the boom, bust and bailouts, and also that they won't be around to deal with the consequences for as long?
Reply 63
Here's an idea why don't we take said cuts, and apply them to those who caused the credit crisis.

Pretty sure it wasn't me, you know what with all that being in education and not having a vote.

but then again that might upset all of dave's old school chums who caused the aforementioned economic collapse.
Reply 64
Original post by Macabre
1.) Then they should move in with relatives that are not abusive as a freind of mine has done. In a lot cases of this the police an child prtection will often have records of this.

2.) Their parents dont have a choice. Its their offspring and they must look after them. Its very rare parents will see their child on the street without there bieng a history of abuse.

3.) Then they apply to areas that do have the work while at home. Land the job and then move to the area that has the work. Living in an area where there is work but not working only increases the number of benefits a young person can live on and encourages apathy.

4.) Any parent who downsizes while their child is at uni is mad. Though ive never heard of a 1 bedroom house so im sure there can be allowances made. If not there are other family members or even freinds they can move in with.

5.) If you have a low paid job then you can claim working tax credits to top up your wages. The one kind of person the government likes is a working one.

1) Why are you assuming they have other relatives? I have friends who have no siblings, no alive grandparents and no aunts/uncles. It happens- if you have a lot of family who will support you- great, your a very lucky boy!

2) Sometimes they don't always have a choice. I have a friend whos parents both lost their jobs, and can just about manage to keep their heads above water paying for their food, the (fortunately) small mortgage they have and then a little bit for bills etc. They rely on handouts for clothes, DVDs etc- I know this because I have given them ALOT of my things. If they took their daughter back it would break them- one of them would probably have to go without food.

3) How do you expect someone to up sticks and move with no money? How do they afford a flat deposit? How do they afford to get there? How do they afford to get their belongings there?

4) Why is it "mad"- again I have friends who at university and their parents have retired so have to downsize. And no, in some circumstances- its not a case of they have a "choice" on retiring.
Reply 65
Original post by BHS12
Why are you assuming because some is a graduate they can move back in with their parents?

Saying that does not really pose a question

If they graduate, they move bk in with their parents.
If they do not have parents then move in with other relatives.
If they have no family they can move in with freinds (Dont presume that because they dont have family doesnt mean they dont have a job)

If neither of these are option then this is the sort of person who should be given the benefit.

Dont forget this early stages in the current housing benefit change so there will be exceptions such as the hypothetical person who is literally on his own.
What about people who used to be in Care/'looked after'? What are they meant to do?
Original post by Macabre

If there are no other relatives?

Original post by Macabre

2.) Their parents dont have a choice

Of course they do.

Original post by Macabre

3.) Then they apply to areas that do have the work while at home.

And if living at home means there are no areas that they can apply for work in?

Original post by Macabre

Living in an area where there is work but not working only increases the number of benefits a young person can live on and encourages apathy.

I love the hypocritical stance of the right wing.
First of all we are told to move to where there is work.
Now we are being told to move away from where there is work.
Make your minds up.

Original post by Macabre

Or perhaps they do it to save money (if they are renting, as many families are).
And again are assuming there are other family or friends they can move in with. You cannot make that assumption because it often is not the case.

Original post by Macabre

Sadly the facts would suggest you are wrong, as most young people on housing benefit actually do work.
Original post by Macabre

1) That isn't always possible. My parents are manipulative and controlling, like all my aunts/uncles. All my cousins live with their parents with the exception of two. One of them lives in a two bed house with her husband and three kids and there is no space. Another cousin lives with his wife in a small one bed flat. So if I choose to leave home, I don't really have anywhere to go. And all my friends are as broke as me and live with their parents.

2) Actually they do have a choice. After a child turns 18, they have no legal obligation to take care of their child because their child is now legally an adult.

3) Not everyone lives close enough to a place where there are jobs and in most cases, the job will be low paid for a graduate/youngster and the rents in this country are too high for one to be able to afford while on minimum wage. Housing benefit in this case is used so the person can afford to stay close enough to the place of work and have a roof over their head.

4) Do you live under a boulder or something or in a cave? Why are they mad? Because they're broke and can't afford to live where they are? 1 Bed houses to exist. And they aren't big so a child can't bunk for long either.

5) I think you've got this majorly wrong. The only kind of person the government likes is someone who is filthy ****ing rich. They will screw you over if you're an average person.
If your parents are on benefits and you move away for uni, they may be forced to downsize; as their house is deemed too big for them.
Reply 70
Original post by Macabre

Generally its those without work that the government will be targeting

Never a truer word spoken.
Original post by Snagprophet
Well the more land used for growing food that becomes land for housing more and more people then eventually there'll be more people than food.

The people could be food themselves... just sayin', lol.

Seriously though, we could always use multistory buildings and more efficient farming methods, or import food from abroad. Besides, our culture prefers fewer children, and the fact that we know they're not going to die early in our society means they are less likely to have as many. Also, you haven't addressed my examples of people who's condoms ripped or were too drunk to do it safely.

Original post by Snagprophet
No, I am not talking about the present. I am talking about the future. I don't think it's a good idea to wait to you've crashed before applying the brakes.

There are a lot of countries with much higher population densities than ours, which are getting by alright.
Reply 72
Original post by Macabre

You have to be 25 to claim working tax credits...
Reply 73
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
1) That isn't always possible. My parents are manipulative and controlling, like all my aunts/uncles. All my cousins live with their parents with the exception of two. One of them lives in a two bed house with her husband and three kids and there is no space. Another cousin lives with his wife in a small one bed flat. So if I choose to leave home, I don't really have anywhere to go. And all my friends are as broke as me and live with their parents.

2) Actually they do have a choice. After a child turns 18, they have no legal obligation to take care of their child because their child is now legally an adult.

3) Not everyone lives close enough to a place where there are jobs and in most cases, the job will be low paid for a graduate/youngster and the rents in this country are too high for one to be able to afford while on minimum wage. Housing benefit in this case is used so the person can afford to stay close enough to the place of work and have a roof over their head.

4) Do you live under a boulder or something or in a cave? Why are they mad? Because they're broke and can't afford to live where they are? 1 Bed houses to exist. And they aren't big so a child can't bunk for long either.

5) I think you've got this majorly wrong. The only kind of person the government likes is someone who is filthy ****ing rich. They will screw you over if you're an average person.

1.) You start eh argument by saying your parents and extended family are manipulative and yet most of your cousins still live with them. They cant be that bad if all but two are still with their parents and all your frinds live with theirs.

2.) I was talking about a moral obligation, not a legal one. Comunities generally arnt excepting of those families who kick their children out with no good reason so generally it doesnt happen.

3.) This is very incorrect. Graduate position pay is far higher than the minimum wage and to say graduates will be on crap is rubbish. The statistics speak for themselves about graduate entry pay and career prospects so thats a weak argument.

4.)Why are they all of a suddent broke and downsizing? You havnt explained your case.

5.) Very untrue. I've benefitted hugely from this government and if i start a family of my own they will be able to have middle class upbringing compared to mine.
Original post by Joe911

And even then they only apply if you work more than 30 hours a week.
Reply 75
Original post by Joe911

If that is true then i stand corrected and thanks for the clarification :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Joe911

Or have children/have a disability
Original post by Macabre
1.) You start eh argument by saying your parents and extended family are manipulative and yet most of your cousins still live with them. They cant be that bad if all but two are still with their parents and all your frinds live with theirs.

2.) I was talking about a moral obligation, not a legal one. Comunities generally arnt excepting of those families who kick their children out with no good reason so generally it doesnt happen.

3.) This is very incorrect. Graduate position pay is far higher than the minimum wage and to say graduates will be on crap is rubbish. The statistics speak for themselves about graduate entry pay and career prospects so thats a weak argument.

4.)Why are they all of a suddent broke and downsizing? You havnt explained your case.

5.) Very untrue. I've benefitted hugely from this government and if i start a family of my own they will be able to have middle class upbringing compared to mine.

1) Well they're Asian. Culturally, you stay with your parents. But why should I have to stay with mine just because they stay with their parents? And they're all married and have kids or are expecting kids. They simply can't afford to move away although they have jobs because house prices and rents are too high. And a few of them are now moving out this year so it wasn't a permanent thing. Only one of my cousins is going to stay with his parents because he can't afford to on his salary. I probably won't move out after uni right away unless my family situation changes.

2) It generally doesn't happen? Sorry to burst your bubble but it does happen. Morals aren't going to solve the answer. Unless we make parents legally responsible for their children until they turn 25, parents won't have any reason other than morals to take their children in again.

3) Graduate pay is higher than minimum wage yeah. But there are still a lot of graduates that can't get these jobs and so are working in minimum wage jobs. I know graduates who are working these kind of minimum wage jobs and and they all believe that their degree is being wasted.

4) Well people are still losing jobs or they may have a business which is in decline. Some parents may just simply want to downsize because they no longer want a big house or don't expect their children to move back in.

5) Well good for you. But may I ask, how have you benefitted from this government?
Reply 78
Original post by BHS12
Why are you assuming because some is a graduate they can move back in with their parents?

Because most probably can.
Original post by AP1989
Because most probably can.

For many, yes. But not for all. Thus you simply cannot make that assumption.

Quick Reply

Latest