The Student Room Group

DT Resistant Materials - Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dandaman9999
Haha she said that it was an estimate because she has been working at our school for 21 years and said she has to attend those meetings with exam boards every year and whenever they have done a similar topic about storage units (and whatever else) she has noted it down and she says that our year will MOST LIKELY have jewellery boxes or gadget storage units because the coursework this year consisted of this stuff too (I made a gadget tidy for my coursework) and looking at past papers she think her hunch is very precise!

Don't blame me if I'm/she is wrong though :tongue:

Ok, lol, I was acctually preparing for just storage units, so my teacher was not very precise in his hint, but it was not really a hint, just what the preliminary said :smile:. but if it is a gadget tidy, that may be easier than jewelery boxes or a generic storage boxes. I think it may just say storage boxes, because they didn't write the jewelery or gadget tidy on the preliminary material. In which case we could be either and it would be much easier.

I think i will do the small electronic or the gadget tidy for my coursework. Although the gadget tidy had to be influenced by a design period from the last 100 years.
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Yeah I also find the wood quite easy, thanks for the tips for that one :smile:. The materials one i was talking about is where they give you a product, like a ring or toy truck or a tennis racket, and you must give the material it could be made from and then a reason. The Kelvar is said to be for police/army vests or tennis rackets. The truck was ABS or HDPS, and the ring was gold. then the reason would be it does not corrode/looks good (ring), durable (truck) etc.

What did you get on your mock, i got a B but that was before any preperation was done, and it was back in febuary so it doesn't really show much :biggrin:. Also we did not get the preliminary material for that one. I think i still need to brush up on my joints and plastics and alloys :smile:

Oh right, I think I know what question you are talking about now. Yes you're right, as long as you have basic reasons why the materials are suitable then you're good to go! Thanks for naming the materials and giving examples, i wasnt entirely sure muself! They allow a wide range of sensible materials (in our mock we had a motorcycle helmet as our object and we were allowed about 5 or 6 'correct' answers :smile:).

And we have had 2 mocks... One in year 10 where I got an A (one off of an A* :angry:) and one in January where I managed to scrape an A* :biggrin: But it'd be nice to get higher just in case my coursework grade is lower than what my teacher predicted due to a harsh examiner or what not :smile: And keep in mind mocks mean nothing! You weren't provided the preliminary case which is vital so don't worry. You know it now and as long you brush up on the things you aren't confident on, like you said, then you're a shoe-in for an A*.
Ok, lol, I was acctually preparing for just storage units, so my teacher was not very precise in his hint, but it was not really a hint, just what the preliminary said :smile:. but if it is a gadget tidy, that may be easier than jewelery boxes or a generic storage boxes. I think it may just say storage boxes, because they didn't write the jewelery or gadget tidy on the preliminary material. In which case we could be either and it would be much easier.

I think i will do the small electronic or the gadget tidy for my coursework. Although the gadget tidy had to be influenced by a design period from the last 100 years.

Yeah, as long as you design the storage unit with Charles Rennie Mackintosh in mind then it's fine I think :smile:
Oh right, I think I know what question you are talking about now. Yes you're right, as long as you have basic reasons why the materials are suitable then you're good to go! Thanks for naming the materials and giving examples, i wasnt entirely sure muself! They allow a wide range of sensible materials (in our mock we had a motorcycle helmet as our object and we were allowed about 5 or 6 'correct' answers :smile:).

And we have had 2 mocks... One in year 10 where I got an A (one off of an A* :angry:) and one in January where I managed to scrape an A* :biggrin: But it'd be nice to get higher just in case my coursework grade is lower than what my teacher predicted due to a harsh examiner or what not :smile: And keep in mind mocks mean nothing! You weren't provided the preliminary case which is vital so don't worry. You know it now and as long you brush up on the things you aren't confident on, like you said, then you're a shoe-in for an A*.

Thanks :smile:, lets hope it goes well with some easy questions :smile:, but if the questions are hard, the grade boundries may drop, but we won't get the higher results we want then. The tools should be easy, what do you think?
Yeah, as long as you design the storage unit with Charles Rennie Mackintosh in mind then it's fine I think :smile:

Yep, this will definatly be the hardest question, although i think they normaly are the hardest :smile:

By the way, what materials are you going to say the design of charels will be in? in the question where you go into detail, obviously a wood but im not sure which to go for, because i don't know what he normally uses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yep, this will definatly be the hardest question, although i think they normaly are the hardest :smile:

By the way, what materials are you going to say the design of charels will be in? in the question where you go into detail, obviously a wood but im not sure which to go for, because i don't know what he normally uses.

In reply to the post above the one I have quoted, the tools should be easy to name. They have 3 tools to name usually and 2 of them are self-evident like a hammer or a screwdriver. But the third one is more difficult to recognise but you should still be able to get it with a bit of a look around your school workshop (tools like a scribe, set-square, etc).

Charles painted is tulips so perhaps paint some tulips on your storage unit? The small boxes and ladders will be made out of wood probably, just integrated into the whol design. Perhaps some plastic as well? Up to your own discretion; some materials will suit some units better than other designs :smile:
In reply to the post above the one I have quoted, the tools should be easy to name. They have 3 tools to name usually and 2 of them are self-evident like a hammer or a screwdriver. But the third one is more difficult to recognise but you should still be able to get it with a bit of a look around your school workshop (tools like a scribe, set-square, etc).

Charles painted is tulips so perhaps paint some tulips on your storage unit? The small boxes and ladders will be made out of wood probably, just integrated into the whol design. Perhaps some plastic as well? Up to your own discretion; some materials will suit some units better than other designs :smile:

Thanks yet again. What is a set-square, is it similar to a try-square, i'll research it anyway. I think hammer or a screwdriver is too easy, but i get the jist, easy tools then a hard too. I think tools is generally easy and a strong point for me. This is my last exam of 5, so then I'll be free untill september :smile: YAY!!!. but lets not celebrarte yet. :cool:

In the making question (bulk question) do you include about pop-rivets or welding if it is metal, or screws if it is wood? sorry, i know we went through this before. because the joints will be usless mentioning if you don't mention how they joint, see my point? like using an adhesive like PVA. Is this what you include? :confused:

By the way, Thanks alot for all your help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks yet again. What is a set-square, is it similar to a try-square, i'll research it anyway. I think hammer or a screwdriver is too easy, but i get the jist, easy tools then a hard too. I think tools is generally easy and a strong point for me. This is my last exam of 5, so then I'll be free untill september :smile: YAY!!!. but lets not celebrarte yet. :cool:

In the making question (bulk question) do you include about pop-rivets or welding if it is metal, or screws if it is wood? sorry, i know we went through this before. because the joints will be usless mentioning if you don't mention how they joint, see my point? like using an adhesive like PVA. Is this what you include? :confused:

By the way, Thanks alot for all your help :smile:

A set square is very similar to a try square, just for different purposes (one is used for metal and the other wood- plus they look different so it's worth knowing their appearance).

This is my second last exam but I've still got one more left :frown: still, I can't wait till summer :wink:

And you DO have to say how you join the materials together, sorry I didn't mention that before. You have to include how you made it, so basically what materials you used, method of joining and cutting, processes, and make sure you talk about jigs and templates because that is the key to make in bulk of 10 :smile:

And anytime :cool:
A set square is very similar to a try square, just for different purposes (one is used for metal and the other wood- plus they look different so it's worth knowing their appearance).

This is my second last exam but I've still got one more left :frown: still, I can't wait till summer :wink:

And you DO have to say how you join the materials together, sorry I didn't mention that before. You have to include how you made it, so basically what materials you used, method of joining and cutting, processes, and make sure you talk about jigs and templates because that is the key to make in bulk of 10 :smile:

And anytime :cool:

Just wanted to say that for the question on materials (discussed earlier about the truck made from ABS plastic) it can sometimes ask for the originol source, Plastic would be crude oil, wood would be trees, but what would metals be? Underground? or Ores? :confused:

By the way, for the second question, about the 5 drawings, do you colour in the pictures? so the wood would be yellowish and the tulips would be redish :redface:

good luck with your last exam and this one :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
AQA are soo bad- this is my last exam and I AM SO FED UP OF THEM!!

But, to help you, this website is REALLY GOOD and has loads of stuff on CRM and resistant materials. Just scroll down! GOOD LUCK!!

(also, my teacher said that there is no rule that stops us from copying these designs in the exam, but you may want to vary them slightly to get more marks)

http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joindex.htm
Original post by Eulerdaphe
AQA are soo bad- this is my last exam and I AM SO FED UP OF THEM!!

But, to help you, this website is REALLY GOOD and has loads of stuff on CRM and resistant materials. Just scroll down! GOOD LUCK!!

(also, my teacher said that there is no rule that stops us from copying these designs in the exam, but you may want to vary them slightly to get more marks)

http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joindex.htm

Thanks a lot, there are some great designs here. Im sure if we do copy these designs we may have to change them slightly. This is my last exam too. Good luck :smile:
By the way, why do you think that AQA are so bad, i mean i dislike them also for giving us stupid topics to revise. i just need a break from them aswell :cool: Thanks again for the links :wink:
Just wanted to say that for the question on materials (discussed earlier about the truck made from ABS plastic) it can sometimes ask for the originol source, Plastic would be crude oil, wood would be trees, but what would metals be? Underground? or Ores? :confused:

By the way, for the second question, about the 5 drawings, do you colour in the pictures? so the wood would be yellowish and the tulips would be redish :redface:

good luck with your last exam and this one :smile:

Yeah, talk about ores like hematite and bauxite (iron and aluminium metal ores I think) for example.

Yep! Ensure you colour in ALL of your drawings, they give you marks for the shading and aesthetic colours in the detailed design question :smile:

thanks! You too :biggrin:
Reply 32
Thanks a lot, there are some great designs here. Im sure if we do copy these designs we may have to change them slightly. This is my last exam too. Good luck :smile:
By the way, why do you think that AQA are so bad, i mean i dislike them also for giving us stupid topics to revise. i just need a break from them aswell :cool: Thanks again for the links :wink:

Well I think they're bad because in science for example most of the stuff you learn is really vague- I'd much rather learn about less but in greater detail. The textbooks waffle about nothing for most of a page- I reckon a revision guide is all you need! Th exam questions are often so strange and involve logic, not knowledge, which is so confusing. I guess DT wasn't too bad (except coursework was v. stressful for everyone I think?). I guess I also don't like them for setting this exam so late!!
I'm doing this too :smile: keep in mind Mackintosh used ladders and tulips in his work so I'm going to do a small rectangular gadget tidy with these designs implemented. Try and go simple... You can gain as many marks as if you go for a complicated design (as I did in a mock and apparently my sphere wasn't 3D enough (?)). Should go alright... Grade boundaries are usually low- it was 91/120 2 years ago I think?

Its not tulips, its roses
just thought you would like to know. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I got 84/90 for my coursework and project does anyone know what i need to get in the exam to get an A* ? :smile:
For the 6 step process question, I done a model answer for the making of wood & plastic. Feel free to pm me to send you a copy, but anyone got an idea to what the last essay question will be about? There was something about sustainability last year so just wondering what it will be about this time round :s-smilie:
Original post by Eulerdaphe
Well I think they're bad because in science for example most of the stuff you learn is really vague- I'd much rather learn about less but in greater detail. The textbooks waffle about nothing for most of a page- I reckon a revision guide is all you need! Th exam questions are often so strange and involve logic, not knowledge, which is so confusing. I guess DT wasn't too bad (except coursework was v. stressful for everyone I think?). I guess I also don't like them for setting this exam so late!!

Agreed :smile:
Original post by Tanvir.A
For the 6 step process question, I done a model answer for the making of wood & plastic. Feel free to pm me to send you a copy, but anyone got an idea to what the last essay question will be about? There was something about sustainability last year so just wondering what it will be about this time round :s-smilie:

I think it is hard to guess what the last question will be because it is normally different every year. The year before last it was about product analysis, where a buggy was shown and ergonomic features were to be identified. So it could really be anything.
Original post by Understand This
Its not tulips, its roses
just thought you would like to know. :smile:

Thanks for clearing that up, I also thought it was roses but i was not sure :smile:
Just a heads up, I these are the topics i think might come up:
Consumer choice (target markets that stuff); Consumer rights, 6Rs; Moral, Ethnic and social issues; Systems and control :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending