The Student Room Group

Just had someone bump into the back of me!

Hi to anyone reading,

I've just had someone back into me, at a very slow pace by a roundabout, there was little to no damage to either car, a scratch, no more.

Have I done everything right by taking their phone number and number plate? I don't know if there is anything else to be done? It's the first time that i've been in any sort of collision with another car and so did not know exactly what to do.
Reply 1
Bump. Anyone?
Reply 2
yeh inform your insurer if there is any damage. did u take pictures?
Reply 3
There was almost no damage noticeable save a scratch that could have been there before, so I did not see the need to take any pictures really :/ I can do now, i've just got home, would that help?

Original post by naman
X
Reply 4
Original post by Hobo389
Bump. Anyone?

Yes done everything right. You have to decide now whether it is worth pursuing a claim. You said very little to no damage to either car, so could you live with a small scratch? If so nothing needs to be done at this point apart from a phonecall to speak to them to see if they are ok with the same course.

It was THEIR fault so if you do want to pursue it, chances are it will be with no insurance involved, the insurance premiums will jump for the other person and would be cheaper to just pay for your scratch repair.
Reply 5
Original post by Hobo389
There was almost no damage noticeable save a scratch that could have been there before, so I did not see the need to take any pictures really :/ I can do now, i've just got home, would that help?

oh don't worry then.. did the other guy care?
Reply 6
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Wouldn't bother with contacting your insurance company about this. If it's only a scratch then it's pointless. Make sure your bonnet can still open though. Sometimes even a very small bump can cause problems with this.
Reply 8
Original post by Tycho
Wouldn't bother with contacting your insurance company about this. If it's only a scratch then it's pointless. Make sure your bonnet can still open though. Sometimes even a very small bump can cause problems with this.

Sorry you should inform your insurance, in case there is any further come back. ie the other party may decided to claim. You just tell them that at this point you are not making any claim. But you take into a garage in case there is any underling damage
Reply 9
Phone number is not so good. Registration plate? Maybe. The best thing is to get their insurer details, especially their policy number.

If you asked me for my phone number, I'd tell you to go to hell - I wouldn't want you contacting me. If there's a problem with insurance, then the insurers can deal with it. I wouldn't want the other party knowing my contact details. I've heard of people being harassed by the person they hit. Not good.

Fair play, you're the one who took the number, but it doesn't mean much. If there is a case of insurance, then you need to contact your insurer, who will contact their insurer, who will contact them.
Reply 10
Because it was such a minor bump its not going to be a huge issue.

When you have an accident make sure you try and get these details:

Insurance co,
Registration (take a pic of the car with your mobile phone with the reg) At least get the reg as this is a must and the most important thing.
Name and address of the other driver
Exchange Driving licence number
Try and take pictures of the accident if its contentious.

Dont trust anyone thats its going to be okay as there are so many liars out there.
I'll pretend to be a Doctor, I say you got really bad whiplash, we take the insurers to the cleaners, n split the winnings. You in?

Quick Reply

Latest