The Student Room Group

University or take job?

Hi All,

Basically I finished my A-levels in 2010 and achieved AAAA in Economics, History, Maths and Politics. Then I made a stupid mistake of going to read Law at Birmingham as the degree made me bored! So I just partied and never went to lectures or did the readings to distract myself etc..and ended up with a 2:2 somehow. Though I thought it was wise to leave the year and achieved a Certificate of Higher Education from Nottingham.

Once I left in June 2011, I started working in corporate banking from September 2011 where I was an assistant to sales and trading desks for Deutsch Bank on about £16k. Now however I've been offered a job as a trainee stockbroker with a stockbroker in Birmingham where I would look after private high-net/retail clients and have my FSA exams paid with a salary close to £28k. Though I have an Economics degree offer from a R.G university also.

I'm trying to evaluate what to do but I'm finding it very hard. Much advice is appreciated. I'm currently 20.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
:troll:
Reply 2

I'm no troll. I need genuine advice.
Reply 3
I would take the job. Taking the university offer would be a big risk and from what you've posted it seems you have a lot to lose with not much to gain. It also seems you would regret turning down the job and would enjoy that more than going back to uni.
Reply 4
Weigh up the disadvantages and advantages of both options. Do what YOU feel is right, not what people tell you as everyone is different!

If i was you, i'd take the job, but you have the best idea of what is right to do. Even if you feel completely confused and have no idea, deep down you'll find out what is right

Good luck!

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by StacFace
I would take the job. Taking the university offer would be a big risk and from what you've posted it seems you have a lot to lose with not much to gain. It also seems you would regret turning down the job and would enjoy that more than going back to uni.

I see what you mean as going back to university would mean I finish at 23 + debt and no guaranteed job.
How about compromise by keeping the job and also studying part time? Would that be viable?
Reply 7
TAKE THE JOB!

I have no knowledge of economics as its not my field but I worked in a pub on my gap year and met some very interesting people and was offered a job as an engineer for a massive multi million pound company. I took it because opportunity only knocks once! I actually left simply because it wasn't for me (I am a biomed student) but they offered to pay my uni fees etc so I couldn't say no in the current climate!

I gained loads of experience and actually got me into a good mind set for what work will be like! It was a brilliant opportunity just wasn't for me I could have been at the top end of 80,000 a year. Just found it extremely boring haha!

But in my experience take the job anyways! £28k is a brilliant salary with promotional prospects
Reply 8
Original post by iPodTunes
Hi All,

Basically I finished my A-levels in 2010 and achieved AAAA in Economics, History, Maths and Politics. Then I made a stupid mistake of going to read Law at Birmingham as the degree made me bored! So I just partied and never went to lectures or did the readings to distract myself etc..and ended up with a 2:2 somehow. Though I thought it was wise to leave the year and achieved a Certificate of Higher Education from Nottingham.

Once I left in June 2011, I started working in corporate banking from September 2011 where I was an assistant to sales and trading desks for Deutsch Bank on about £16k. Now however I've been offered a job as a trainee stockbroker with a stockbroker in Birmingham where I would look after private high-net/retail clients and have my FSA exams paid with a salary close to £28k. Though I have an Economics degree offer from a R.G university also.

I'm trying to evaluate what to do but I'm finding it very hard. Much advice is appreciated. I'm currently 20.

Thanks

How many times have you posted/asked this question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending