The Student Room Group

What do choose for A-Levels HELP

Right, so i originally chose to take History, Geography, Human Biology and English Language but I found out today I can no longer take English Lang so I'm having to redecide what to take. I have the following options-

Government and Politics

Media Studies

English Lit (although I really dont won't to)

Law

Philiosophy and Ethics

Sociology

Psychology

I think out of all of them I prefer Media Studies but I know that this is seen as a 'soft' option and not regarded as a good a level to take, help?
Also I would like to point out I wish to go into something like Journalism or that job path when I am older
Original post by emmaj125
Right, so i originally chose to take History, Geography, Human Biology and English Language but I found out today I can no longer take English Lang so I'm having to redecide what to take. I have the following options-

Government and Politics

Media Studies

Law

Philiosophy and Ethics

Sociology

Psychology

I think out of all of them I prefer Media Studies but I know that this is seen as a 'soft' option and not regarded as a good a level to take, help?
Also I would like to point out I wish to go into something like Journalism or that job path when I am older

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I think either literature or media would help most for journalism. So you may as well take media since you prefer it most.
Reply 3
Original post by txo
I think either literature or media would help most for journalism. So you may as well take media since you prefer it most.

I know, but media is seen as a easy a level and not accepted widely, although i would only be doing it as an AS course, i'm just not sure :frown:

Government and Politics

Media Studies

Law

Philiosophy and Ethics

Sociology

Psychology

I think in my opinion you should pick either:
government and politics
philosphy and ethics

don't actiually go with it - unless you want to :P but it may be useful
Gd luck in choosing :cool:
Reply 5
In Year 9, when picking my GCSEs, I wanted to be a journalist. When I researched it, you actually only need GCSE English Language, but obviously having things on top of that was really helpful. As History and geography are both great for it, I'd say do the one you like the most. Also, you already have 3 'respected' A-Levels, so I think one 'soft' one wouldn't matter, and even then media is related to journalism.
Reply 6
Original post by foreverstrong_97
I think in my opinion you should pick either:
government and politics
philosphy and ethics

don't actiually go with it - unless you want to :P but it may be useful
Gd luck in choosing :cool:

Are these good A Levels to take? I understand in a way, I just think they're so different from my other choices so may not compliment it well? Also I'm not entirely sure what philosphy and ethics is about!
Reply 7
Original post by jwf13
In Year 9, when picking my GCSEs, I wanted to be a journalist. When I researched it, you actually only need GCSE English Language, but obviously having things on top of that was really helpful. As History and geography are both great for it, I'd say do the one you like the most. Also, you already have 3 'respected' A-Levels, so I think one 'soft' one wouldn't matter, and even then media is related to journalism.

Thank you! So do you think doing Media AS wouldn' matter?
Reply 8
I cant stress enough how important it is to pick subjects you like and can put up for at least 1 year! Something I'm paying for now
Are these good A Levels to take? I understand in a way, I just think they're so different from my other choices so may not compliment it well? Also I'm not entirely sure what philosphy and ethics is about!

I think Philosophy is recognised as the stronger of those two, although Politics isn't an overly soft subject and you do get a lot out of it! I loved studying it and gained a lot of skills regarding my writing style which has helped across most of my subjects :smile:
Both choices would compliment what you've chosen as they both go well with History. A huge number of people in my Politics set also took History and taking both really helped with their writing and with their analytical skills. I can't really comment on Philosophy as I don't know much about it for A-level, but again it would help with your writing and analysis and so go well. You'd have a good balance of subjects :smile:

Philosphy is useful but not that much, read this:
From The Times:
The great virtue of philosophy is that it teaches not what to think, but how to think. It is the study of meaning, of the principles underlying conduct, thought and knowledge. The skills it hones are the ability to analyse, to question orthodoxies and to express things clearly. However arcane some philosophical texts may be - and not everybody can come to grips with the demands of Austrian logical positivism - the ability to formulate questions and follow arguments is the essence of education.
It can also be studied at many levels. In the US, where the number of philosophy graduates has increased by 5 per cent a year during the 1990s, only a very few go on to become philosophers. Their employability, at 98.9 per cent, is impressive by any standard. Philosophy has always been a good training for the law; but it is equally useful for computer scientists. In this country, the Higher Education Statistics Survey puts philosophy of science right up with medicine in its employment record for graduates.
Philosophy is, in commercial jargon, the ultimate "transferable work skill".

I know that governement and politics is a good subject to take as it involves current issues about democracy, elections, political parties, pressure groups etc. if your intrested in it then go for it - if your not than under any circumstance do not take a subject you know you will hate :biggrin:

Philosphy and ethics is kinda like a R.E. to an extent if you hate R.E. than you will hate this!! :wink:

Lastly CHOOSE WHAT YOU FIND WILL GET YOU THE HIGHER MARKS - DO MEDIA IF YOU WANT, BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD GRADE!!!

P.S. sorry for the emphasis :P

Good luck :biggrin: feel free to ask me any more questions :cool:
Politics is really enjoyable and also fairly easy once you know what to structure your essays etc! It also helps with history and geography (2 subjects I have done :smile:)
I would say if you want to do Media Studies then it doesn't really matter if it's 'soft' as long as you have other strong subjects, which you obviously do! At my open day at Sheffield Uni they said they would accept one softer a-level as long as you have 2 'desired' ones. Generally the subjects you're interested in, rather than told to do, well give you a better grade as well!
Reply 12
One thing I would say about Media is that, coming from a family with a history in journalism, it is by no means a help to actually becoming a journalist. Newspapers will be far more interested in your ability to spell than your ability to pass an exam in Media.

That said, do whatever feels right. If you don't want to do English Lit, definitely don't! I'm now stuck with it. Politics would go well with the rest of your subjects. Is there no way of doing combined English?

Quick Reply

Latest