The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was at a coffee place directly outside of Magdalen the other day, the Moroccan place...do not recommend.
Fell into the Cherwell today for the second time in two punting trips, beginning to think it might not be my best skill
Original post by tuesday91
Fell into the Cherwell today for the second time in two punting trips, beginning to think it might not be my best skill

It's quite a skill to unintentionally fall in, didn't think that was possible on a punt.
Reply 8703
I quite like being in Oxford with nothing to do, even if I am slightly oddly in a building of just me and alumni.
Original post by dbmag9
I quite like being in Oxford with nothing to do, even if I am slightly oddly in a building of just me and alumni.

I'm hating it...just constantly feasting and drinking and messing about. I feel like I ought to be working...
Reply 8705
Original post by The Lyceum
I'm hating it...just constantly feasting and drinking and messing about.

Oh you poor thing.
Reply 8706
I'm hating it...just constantly feasting and drinking and messing about. I feel like I ought to be working...

:nopity:

surely you deserve a small break at least? :lolwut:

:tongue:
Well I'm crap with breaks. I know I'm meant to be producing an article but the more people badger/ask about it the more I just sort of....relax.

I've won some awards to travel to some conferences and I just...can't/won't prepare. I'm going to turn up and be like "durrrr I'm a retard".

I've decided that I need a hobby. Perhaps cheese collection.
Reply 8708
Well I'm crap with breaks. I know I'm meant to be producing an article but the more people badger/ask about it the more I just sort of....relax.

I've won some awards to travel to some conferences and I just...can't/won't prepare. I'm going to turn up and be like "durrrr I'm a retard".

I've decided that I need a hobby. Perhaps cheese collection.

you need to buy yourself a pair of fluffy earmuffs to stop listening to these people!

nice! What awards did you win? :smile:

cheese is very good, it will be a lovely collection.

I'm having blood feud problems at the moment. next door neighbour said something inappropriate to my boyfs sister, and now my boyf and his dad have to kick the crap of him and that guy's family is waiting outside. My suggestion of calming down and diplomatic approach kind of bounced off their ears.. :s hope no one gets hurt.
Reply 8709
Original post by Frey
my boyf and his dad have to kick the crap of him

:lolwut:
Reply 8710
Original post by dbmag9
:lolwut:

':lolwut:' exactly.

apparently that's the only way you can deal with things here.....:s-smilie:
I applied and won some crap because peeps like my research. Which always amuses me, the idea that I "research" rather than drink copious amounts of Scotch and type like a crack addled monkey.

I can't really censure that kind of behaviour, I mean my family has a pretty mental history (and Wikipedia!) in the old country when it comes to feuds. :colonhash:
Reply 8712
I applied and won some crap because peeps like my research. Which always amuses me, the idea that I "research" rather than drink copious amounts of Scotch and type like a crack addled monkey.

I can't really censure that kind of behaviour, I mean my family has a pretty mental history (and Wikipedia!) in the old country when it comes to feuds. :colonhash:

I'm sure if the crack addled monkey put his mind to it he'll be fine :awesome:

well it all seemed to turn out fine.. think it's just I've come from a 'Now look here, sir!' Victorian-esque, throwing gloves down and huffing and puffing, storming round rooms in your smoking jacket type of upbringing when it comes to dealing with arguments and fallouts haha so systematically beating someone up seemed a bit odd :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8713

ohhh, you're not by any chance going to AMPAL? My friend's sister went last year :smile:
Reply 8714
I was at a coffee place directly outside of Magdalen the other day, the Moroccan place...do not recommend.

Do you mean the Oxford Rendezvous? :tongue: I love that place, if only for the fact that it is the Fawlty Towers of coffee shops. It is kind of hilarious sitting there with a cup of coffee and hearing them talk to some innocent tourist who has wandered in: "no, we don't have the salmon for the smoked salmon bagel... no, no cheese... we have soup though?" and it turns out to be good ol' Heinz tomato soup for about £6 a pop. :tongue:

If you want to work over a coffee it's brilliant, though, cos it takes 20 minutes for your coffee to get to you, and they don't kick you out if you nurse it for 2 hours.
Reply 8715
I went to the Rendezvous once, in the early afternoon on a weekday. They had run out of coffee. It was amusing.
Reply 8716
This is a very vague question which will probably get vague answers, but for those studying/having studied humanities (in particularly history and languages), during term time when there are not a lot of exams etc, how long were you expected to revise in your spare time per day, not including writing essays etc? I know I will probably eventually find out myself, but I just don't want to put too much on my plate, thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8717
Original post by Frey
This is a very vague question which will probably get vague answers, but for those studying/having studied humanities (in particularly history and languages), during term time when there are not a lot of exams etc, how long were you expected to revise in your spare time per day, not including writing essays etc? I know I will probably eventually find out myself, but I just don't want to put too much on my plate, thanks!

Do you mean revise for exams? I didn't really start doing revision in any structured way until four weeks into the vacation before the Trinity term in which I had Finals. My time before that was pretty much filled up with class work, essay writing and theses (I wrote two rather than one). If I saw a book that was relevant to my previous courses I might pick it up and flick through it, but not much more than that. On the other hand, being very History-specific, the Disciplines course really forces you to think about issues with relation to all of the topics you've done, so I guess you 'revise' in some sense whilst working on that. :smile:

My one piece of advice for revising history is: read new things! I had, bizarrely, a lot of fun in the run up to Finals because I was actually learning new stuff. If you did your notes well at the time, revising the stuff you already studied should be the work of a few afternoons. It's getting the interesting angles and tidbits that makes revision both fun and (I hope, will let you know on 9th July...) effective. :smile:
Reply 8718
Original post by HoVis
Do you mean revise for exams? I didn't really start doing revision in any structured way until four weeks into the vacation before the Trinity term in which I had Finals. My time before that was pretty much filled up with class work, essay writing and theses (I wrote two rather than one). If I saw a book that was relevant to my previous courses I might pick it up and flick through it, but not much more than that. On the other hand, being very History-specific, the Disciplines course really forces you to think about issues with relation to all of the topics you've done, so I guess you 'revise' in some sense whilst working on that. :smile:

My one piece of advice for revising history is: read new things! I had, bizarrely, a lot of fun in the run up to Finals because I was actually learning new stuff. If you did your notes well at the time, revising the stuff you already studied should be the work of a few afternoons. It's getting the interesting angles and tidbits that makes revision both fun and (I hope, will let you know on 9th July...) effective. :smile:

ok, thanks. I think the best thing is to be organised then! :colondollar:

I'm the same with revising about 4 weeks before, any serious revision before then I forget, anything later is too late!
What was up with the guy running about in a cape earlier?

Also, I came out of the Bod just now to find that they were shutting all the external doors. What the hell?

Latest

Trending

Trending