The Student Room Group

The Edexcel AEA (26/06/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheAdrianoo789
hey, does anyone know if your AEA grade goes on the same certificate as all your A Level grades?

I think should be on a separate one.. though i could be wrong.
Original post by kanasaki
I think should be on a separate one.. though i could be wrong.

mmm, im just wondering cos it's done under edexcel... not sure if it's worth doing aea for jokes if the bad grade goes on my certificate (Y)
Reply 22
Original post by TheAdrianoo789
mmm, im just wondering cos it's done under edexcel... not sure if it's worth doing aea for jokes if the bad grade goes on my certificate (Y)

that's what i thought as well =v= but after that i realised when i did my O level and AS they go on two separate certificates... um... actually i was wondering if i got a U then will I still have a certificate or not haha :tongue:
Reply 23
Oh, I took this last year but I didn't revise properly because of other priorites so um yeah hope you've all revised :tongue: and good luck! Hope all of you with offers depending on thsi get the grade you need :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by kanasaki
that's what i thought as well =v= but after that i realised when i did my O level and AS they go on two separate certificates... um... actually i was wondering if i got a U then will I still have a certificate or not haha :tongue:

hahahaaa, so are you sure it wont go on my a level certificate/
Reply 25
How did everybody find that? I thought it was much easier than any past paper I did, but that also means the grade boundaries will probably be high. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a boundary higher than 81 for a distinction. However I'd like to hear some other opinions because it might just be the case that I found some of the past papers harder than they actually were and have therefore formed an incorrect opinion.

There weren't any properly tricky questions in there. I didn't answer 7f because I thought it looked difficult and decided to go back and check some of my answers instead. Only later did I realise that they were basically giving away a free five marks, so I regret not even attempting it. :/

Anyway, boundary predictions anyone?
Reply 26
I found that paper easy as well, and now that I have you here to confirm my worries, looks likethe grade boundaries might be going up after all! Let's not jinx it, though, although, after 2010, anything might be possible. How many marks did you think you covered for certain? I missed out question 7.f).and the part with the logarithms, starting from the series question. Oh, if only I could go back now and undo my cowardice..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by DeBushee
I found that paper easy as well, and now that I have you here to confirm my worries, looks likethe grade boundaries might be going up after all! Let's not jinx it, though, although, after 2010, anything might be possible. How many marks did you think you covered for certain? I missed out question 7.f).and the part with the logarithms, starting from the series question. Oh, if only I could go back now and undo my cowardice..

So you missed 11 marks for certain but you still think it was easy. Surely easy would be 100%? Sorry if I sound blunt here btw, I don't mean to be.
Reply 28
80 is a conservative estimate not including S marks. I lost one or two on the first question because I just put x is real for the domain, ignoring the information in the question about f(x). I lost another 2 on the integral because I couldn't spot how to integrate the second integrand. I lost 5 on 7f because I didn't attempt it. Add in another couple of marks lost for things like dividing through without stating that the divisor can't be zero etc, and I could end up on the Merit border if we get really high boundaries.
Reply 29
Original post by und
80 is a conservative estimate not including S marks. I lost one or two on the first question because I just put x is real for the domain, ignoring the information in the question about f(x). I lost another 2 on the integral because I couldn't spot how to integrate the second integrand. I lost 5 on 7f because I didn't attempt it. Add in another couple of marks lost for things like dividing through without stating that the divisor can't be zero etc, and I could end up on the Merit border if we get really high boundaries.

The domain was real, I got the graph up on my computer? What did the question say?
Reply 30
Original post by Maths678
The domain was real, I got the graph up on my computer? What did the question say?

I can't remember exactly but some of the people I took the exam with were pretty certain the domain was bounded. I think there was an inequality in the question that I didn't bother reading.
Reply 31
So you missed 11 marks for certain but you still think it was easy. Surely easy would be 100%? Sorry if I sound blunt here btw, I don't mean to be.

So you got full marks, did you?
Reply 32

I was trying to be objective when I made that judgement. No, I didn't attempt the question because I was distracted by how hard it looked, but I knew upon closer inspection that on a good day, under less pressure I would have confidently attempted it. But all the questions provided in the paper today didn't seem "spectacular"; it didn't look like it was beyond the range of the expertise of an A-level maths student. I knew that, although I couldn't do some questions at the time, most people would, and hence how I thought it to be easy.
Reply 33
Original post by und
I can't remember exactly but some of the people I took the exam with were pretty certain the domain was bounded. I think there was an inequality in the question that I didn't bother reading.

I'm pretty sure I remember it was x is real (as in the one quoted in the first part of the question) but I may be wrong. Would that have affected the whole question? Also for 7 f) was it pi/2+ 2beta?
Reply 34
Original post by und
So you got full marks, did you?

Well I didn't say it was easy did I? :smile:
Reply 35
I'm pretty sure I remember it was x is real (as in the one quoted in the first part of the question) but I may be wrong. Would that have affected the whole question? Also for 7 f) was it pi/2+ 2beta?

I've already stated that I didn't attempt it, and I regret not doing so because I don't think it was too difficult.
Reply 36
I was trying to be objective when I made that judgement. No, I didn't attempt the question because I was distracted by how hard it looked, but I knew upon closer inspection that on a good day, under less pressure I would have confidently attempted it. But all the questions provided in the paper today didn't seem "spectacular"; it didn't look like it was beyond the range of the expertise of an A-level maths student. I knew that, although I couldn't do some questions at the time, most people would, and hence how I thought it to be easy.

Do you recall an inequality in the first question?
Reply 37
Do you recall an inequality in the first question?

I hate having to say this, but I actually don't remember what the first question was! :frown: Yes, I do remember an inequality, but I remember it being bounded, I just didn't present it as the set of real numbers, sadly. I wish I had. As an aspiring mathematician, I'll need to make habit out of it. :frown: Lol!
Reply 38
I hate having to say this, but I actually don't remember what the first question was! :frown: Yes, I do remember an inequality, but I remember it being bounded, I just didn't present it as the set of real numbers, sadly. I wish I had. As an aspiring mathematician, I'll need to make habit out of it. :frown: Lol!

It was the gf(x) one, what do you mean you wish you presented it as the set of real numbers, that's what I did, but if the graph was bounded then surely it would be incorrect to say the domain is real?
Reply 39
Oh, and to answer und's question which I inadvertantly ignored (I apologize for that :smile: ), I believe the grade boundaries will be set to around 80 marks, if we keep seeing a trend in the amount of people that found the exam easy. Otherwise, at least 75.. :frown: Bummer. I hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest