The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by Crabbiey
I applied to all those Unis except Portsmouth, I applied to Keele instead. Hope you get into Plymouth - it does look nice!

Currently I am holding all five offers - I really want to go to Keele, I have an offer for a Masters Geoscience. My insurance will be Plymouth with Geology.

Ahh wow :O Good luck :biggrin: and let me know if you end up in Plymouth would love to know someone before starting haha :smile:
Reply 861
Hi guys, i've got 2 questions:
1) There is a geology department at my college, but I haven't taken at A-level. Recently from reading friends books etc i've become really interested in it, could you recommend any reading around the subject books i could take a look at ? (excluding text books)
2) If it turns out i really come to like Geology, and decide to apply for geology at uni, would i be disadvantge having not taken it A level? My A2 subjects will most likely be Chemistry, Biology and History
Original post by goldcobra

2) If it turns out i really come to like Geology, and decide to apply for geology at uni, would i be disadvantge having not taken it A level? My A2 subjects will most likely be Chemistry, Biology and History

I am a 4th year doing geology and I never took it before doing my degree. I found it a bit of a struggle at the start as there's a lot of terminology to get your head around, but the first year will be getting everyone to the same standard. There will be Chemistry you sail through which other people will be having a terrible time of because they stopped it at GCSE. Basically, if you want to do geology, go for it - it's a great degree to have. :biggrin:
Reply 863
Original post by goldcobra

Not at all. A lot of departments prefer their applicants to have science subjects. Most people on my course don't have A level geology, and the lecturers keep bashing the A level anyway :tongue:.
Reply 864
I've recently finished this as a GCSE and am definitely carrying it on as an A level!
Reply 865
I will join your geology society. I am currently studying for A-level in geology and hope to continue it to university
I'm up for joining too =) Haven't done geology for gcse or A level but applying for earth science at uni =)
How do I join this group, Iam one of thoses people that really love the subject. I should get a B in GCSE and Iam continuing it at A-Level next year. I'am intrested in know of a list of universities that do Geography, it would be most helpful:mad:.
Reply 868
What A Levels would you recommend for somebody who would like a degree in Geology?
Reply 869
Original post by mgd108
What A Levels would you recommend for somebody who would like a degree in Geology?

Most unis want 2 science subjects (but some count geography and maths as sciences).

Choosing your subjects will depend on what you enjoy and what you did for GCSE. Maybe consider one of the following combinations, all of which would put you in a strong position:

geography, physics, chemistry, maths (drop geog at AS)

physics, chemistry, biology, maths (drop any one at AS)

3 of physics, chemistry, biology, maths, plus a subject such as history or English which you drop at AS.

if your school offers A level geology you could substitute that for geography or one of the sciences.

Chemistry and physics are the most useful sciences, biology less so except for the palao modules.

Just a word of advice - if you decide to apply for a geophysics degree you'll need physics and maths at A level.
Reply 870
Original post by mgd108

The most important subjects in geology are maths, physics and chemistry. Many departments will give additional teaching in these subjects in the first year for those students who did not study them at A level.

Other useful subjects are biology, geography and geology. I must point out though that many departments don't like A level geology that much as it teaches some "wrong" information, gets students into bad habits or they just switch off in the first term because they think they know it all. That being said, most departments still accept it as one of your sciences and it can be useful for giving you an overview of the subject so you can see if it does really interest you.

You'll find most will want 2 sciences - often including geography and geology as sciences. Oxford will ask for 3 sciences, and I believe A level maths is a requirement for their course.
Original post by mgd108

I would definitely recommend doing chemistry - some of the stuff you do on the course isn't particularly complicated but it is so much easier if you're in a chemistry mindset.

I would also suggest taking physics or biology (which ever you prefer - you can go down geophysics or palaeobiology routes during your degree so presumably you will take the one you like more) and something else like geography/geology would be beneficial although you could do anything else to be honest! I would suggest doing some maths further than GCSE - I did AS and the integration and differentiation we learnt was pretty handy although it's probably not entirely critical as most places will give you maths classes in the first year.

The important thing to remember is that the first year of the course is getting everyone up to the same standard from all the different backgrounds. Something you find easy will be hard for someone else and something that someone else sails through you will find a struggle. This will always be the case so don't worry about being left behind just because you didn't do geology A level. With that in mind, make sure you fulfil the entry requirements but also make sure you take A levels you will enjoy and get good grades in!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 872
I'm not doing any Science A levels, but Psychology and Geology itself are partially related. Would this mean I couldn't do the degree?
Original post by mgd108
I'm not doing any Science A levels, but Psychology and Geology itself are partially related. Would this mean I couldn't do the degree?

Geology is classed as a science but you'd need to check on Psychology with specific unis because I have a feeling that it's not analytical enough.
Reply 874
If I were to take Geology, English Lit, Psychology and Geography, would that be enough?
Original post by mgd108
If I were to take Geology, English Lit, Psychology and Geography, would that be enough?

The geology and geography will count as 2 sciences for most universities so probably yes but you're not really helping yourself out overall. It would be better to take a pure science really, preferably chemistry as that's generally most use. Also, just check that the unis you apply to accept geology and geography as sciences as some might not.
Reply 876
I wouldn't be allowed to do Sciences at A Level as I won't get a B grade or higher.
Original post by mgd108
I wouldn't be allowed to do Sciences at A Level as I won't get a B grade or higher.

Have you thought about doing something like geography with geology or something similar which is a bit less scientific but still covers the geology? I really think if you've not go the good basis in science you will struggle.
Reply 878
Well it does say above that I'm doing both Geology and Geography. Psychology is a bit Science-based but obviously not like the top three. I could change English Lit to Maths.
Reply 879
Original post by mgd108

You will struggle on most geology courses as they are usually very science based. If you aren't very science orientated are you sure it's the right course for you? I agree with hothedgehog that studying a dual honours course like geography with geology might be more appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending