The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Studying at The University of Strathclyde

Hello,

I am currently studying at Strathclyde, and have had experience across a range of faculties, and other inclusions of a social nature through the Student's Association.

If there are any other current students who would like to share their experiences then please come right along!

Or, if you are thinking of coming to Strathclyde then I'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have!!

Emma

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where?
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
I don't know if other subjects are the same, but do you know why the MPhys course is 5 years long (instead of the typical 4 years)?
Reply 3
Original post by Dorkins
I don't know if other subjects are the same, but do you know why the MPhys course is 5 years long (instead of the typical 4 years)?

I think this is one of the courses where you get Masters degree when you finish instead of a typical Bachelors degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Dorkins

MPhys is the Masters degree instead of Bachelors degree. Other subjects have similar equivalents.
Reply 5
Original post by TTTC
MPhys is the Masters degree instead of Bachelors degree. Other subjects have similar equivalents.

Most Masters degrees only take 4 years, but they take 5 at Strathclyde for some reason.
Original post by Dorkins
Most Masters degrees only take 4 years, but they take 5 at Strathclyde for some reason.

Masters take 5 years at most (maybe all) Scottish universities. That is because their school system is different from England. Scottish students finish high school a year earlier than English students doing A-levels.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Masters take 5 years at most (maybe all) Scottish universities. That is because their school system is different from England. Scottish students finish high school a year earlier than English students doing A-levels.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Aha, thanks for the info!
Reply 8
How about the programme Msc International Mkt?
Reply 9
Original post by emmajwilson
Hello,

I am currently studying at Strathclyde, and have had experience across a range of faculties, and other inclusions of a social nature through the Student's Association.

If there are any other current students who would like to share their experiences then please come right along!

Or, if you are thinking of coming to Strathclyde then I'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have!!

Emma

Oh hey, I was hoping for such a thread to pop up. I am going to come over in September, and I was really thinking of joining some societies and do some sports. Could you talk about the options for sports? Are there weekly classes for different kinds of sport? And is it expensive? Do you have something similar to a gym? (Sorry, for all those questions - but I remember finding the website not too helpful and it is always nice to hear from somebody else)
Reply 10
Hi there, I'm going to come over in September as well and I also hoped for a thread like this to get to know some of the current students or new students at Strathclyde.
I'm from Luxembourg and I have been trying to find out if there is anyone else from Luxembourg studying at Strathclyde but I couldn't find anything. But I think it is not that important.
One thing I would like to know is if there are other students older than 20 who are starting in September? I'm 25 so I hope to get to know people that are around my age! :smile:
I'd like to do business with modern languages.
I wanted to study German and Italian, although I think they have scrapped German from the prospectus due to government funding cuts.
I think International Business with Modern Languages is my best option.
The University offers Management in their business school, although I'm not sure if this subject can be studied with languages.
It seems pointless to study Management when the Business School offers a compulsory MDP (Management Development Programme) for all students in the Business School, so I thought it would be better to choose an alternative subject.
Do you know the timetable structure for students who study Business with Modern Languages?
On the website, it states that Business with Languages is a 5-year degree, and year 4 will be spent studying or working in a country where the language is spoken.
How many hours a week will I spend in lectures, tutorials, seminars, etc?
How many hours per week should I allocate for private study if I study three subjects?
Do you have to write the dissertation for the Business subject, or one of the languages or both?
Thank you for the information
Reply 12
Original post by alaska.
Oh hey, I was hoping for such a thread to pop up. I am going to come over in September, and I was really thinking of joining some societies and do some sports. Could you talk about the options for sports? Are there weekly classes for different kinds of sport? And is it expensive? Do you have something similar to a gym? (Sorry, for all those questions - but I remember finding the website not too helpful and it is always nice to hear from somebody else)

Have you checked the Union's site for clubs & societies? I found the sports section rather well covered!
Reply 13
Original post by FinnLassie
Have you checked the Union's site for clubs & societies? I found the sports section rather well covered!

Maybe I am a bit dumb then :frown: I couldn't make much sense out of the "Dance Society" for example :/
Reply 14
Original post by alaska.
Maybe I am a bit dumb then :frown: I couldn't make much sense out of the "Dance Society" for example :/

I think that if you have some questions for the Dance soc, how about you e-mail them directly and ask? Or then you can just go and see them in Freshers week when all the clubs and societies seem to be recruiting new members. :smile:
Does anyone know if you can combine marketing with management science?
Does anyone know whether the 'management' course is the only degree offered within the business school which gives students the opportunity to do an industrial placement in 3rd year?
Can you combine management with other subjects and still do an industrial placement?
Which subject combinations within the business school offer the industrial placement opportunity in 3rd year?
Thanks for the information if you can give it to me
Reply 16
Original post by Choo.choo
Does anyone know whether the 'management' course is the only degree offered within the business school which gives students the opportunity to do an industrial placement in 3rd year?
Can you combine management with other subjects and still do an industrial placement?
Which subject combinations within the business school offer the industrial placement opportunity in 3rd year?

http://www.strath.ac.uk/media/departments/managementscience/undergraduate/MS111.pdf
I don't know whether that helps, but I just checked their webpage, for further information just call them, they're nice and helping!
Reply 17

http://www.strath.ac.uk/business/undergraduate/courses/managementscience/subjectcombination/

Here you can see what you can combine management science to!
I'd like to do business with modern languages.
I wanted to study German and Italian, although I think they have scrapped German from the prospectus due to government funding cuts.
I think International Business with Modern Languages is my best option.
The University offers Management in their business school, although I'm not sure if this subject can be studied with languages.
It seems pointless to study Management when the Business School offers a compulsory MDP (Management Development Programme) for all students in the Business School, so I thought it would be better to choose an alternative subject.
Do you know the timetable structure for students who study Business with Modern Languages?
On the website, it states that Business with Languages is a 5-year degree, and year 4 will be spent studying or working in a country where the language is spoken.
How many hours a week will I spend in lectures, tutorials, seminars, etc?
How many hours per week should I allocate for private study if I study three subjects?
Do you have to write the dissertation for the Business subject, or one of the languages or both?
Thank you for the information

Interestingly, I am also keen on doing this course. How'd you feel about it? I think it will be great, just hope i get the right grades for it, lol
Original post by animelover123
Interestingly, I am also keen on doing this course. How'd you feel about it? I think it will be great, just hope i get the right grades for it, lol

I've decided not to do languages anymore for reasons I can't go into.
Good luck though. Hope it works out for you.
Go for it, if it is what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending