The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is OU adequate for difficult postgrad courses at traditional universities? (sci/eng)

OK. So last night I realised that I have no idea what I want to do as a career following my graduation (albeit a long time away), then I started to think about what MEng/MSc program I could study & at what university maybe I'd want to study at. This lead me to realise that the modules I want to do for my final year with the OU aren't like GCSEs were you can do anything and it won't affect your life if you maybe pick the wrong ones. I realised the modules I do will determine what postgraduate course I'll be able to study which will determine what careers will be open to me.

So I started looking at different postgrad courses to get a rough idea of what their courses contain. I thought some of the OU modules which I'll be doing sounded hard.. Then I read these for an MSc in Nanotechnology... :'(

Makes me feel totally inadequate. Do you think it's actually possible to go from an OU degree into something like this?? It must be hard cos it's with UCL and applicants only need a 2:2...

Core Modules
Physical Science for Nanotechnology
Nanoscale Processing and Characterisation for Advanced Devices
Instrumentation and Physical Techniques in the Life Sciences
Experimental Techniques for Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology and Society
Nanotechnology in Healthcare

Options
Nanoelectronic Devices
Quantum Computation and Communication
Order and Excitations in Condensed Matter
Molecular Biophysics
Molecular Physics
New Technology Ventures
Plastic and Molecular Electronics
Physics and Optics of Nano-Structures
Reply 1
Yes! :smile: As long as you can demonstrate that your OU module selection has prepared you for the MSc, I have no doubts that you'll get on. That nanotech module Moggs dropped would be important. As it's UCL, there might be stiffish competition for places but it's not like undergrad level. Last I read, postgrad education is in crisis with home students choosing not to sign up because of the cost and international students looking more outside of Britain. The unis would love to up their postgrad fees but can't risk it. Even if you couldn't get into UCL there would be dozens of other unis that would take you on.

It could be worth contact the OU engineering dept and seeeing if they have any info of what postgrad courses OU BEng students have studied.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Thats matey :smile:

Gonna have to turn it up once I get onto the L2 stuff in October. I think it's a shame how you have got to do the structural engineering module to be accredited by IMechE even tho it has nothing to do with it. Would have much preferred to have done electromagnetism or quantum. I don't feel that postgrad fees are too bad myself (probably cos it's only for 1 year)! £6000 is expensive but not as bad as £27000 for a 3 year degree!

Like I say this is just one of the courses I came across, still got more research to do!
Reply 3
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Like I say this is just one of the courses I came across, still got more research to do!

this one looks sweet

Would there be a job at the end with that tho?
Reply 5
I would think so, that's a pretty awesome accreditation:biggrin:
Reply 6

:biggrin: Hehe. They always said there wasn't such a thing as a rocket scientist! If you work with rockets then you're an engineer. Looks fun though. I love all those astronautics/ space scientist courses.

It would be worth checking if European Space Agency or private companies such as Virgin Galactic recruit students from there.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Thats matey :smile:

Gonna have to turn it up once I get onto the L2 stuff in October. I think it's a shame how you have got to do the structural engineering module to be accredited by IMechE even tho it has nothing to do with it. Would have much preferred to have done electromagnetism or quantum. I don't feel that postgrad fees are too bad myself (probably cos it's only for 1 year)! £6000 is expensive but not as bad as £27000 for a 3 year degree!

I think you're right to look at these areas. Anything that sounds like science fiction is worth doing. :biggrin: Personally I think green energy tech is going to be massive. Would love to get involved with green power, biofuels, vehicles and appliances.

In terms of institutions, I like the look of Cranfield. Postgrad only uni with focus on engineering and students who've often been in work and come back to uni to enhance their careers. Popular with graduate recruiters including Motorsport industry.
http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/

Original post by Nitebot
I think you're right to look at these areas. Anything that sounds like science fiction is worth doing. :biggrin: Personally I think green energy tech is going to be massive. Would love to get involved with green power, biofuels, vehicles and appliances.

In terms of institutions, I like the look of Cranfield. Postgrad only uni with focus on engineering and students who've often been in work and come back to uni to enhance their careers. Popular with graduate recruiters including Motorsport industry.
http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/

Very interesting. Definitely worth doing something which is likely to thrive in the future.
Reply 9
Original post by Nitebot
:biggrin: Hehe. They always said there wasn't such a thing as a rocket scientist! If you work with rockets then you're an engineer. Looks fun though. I love all those astronautics/ space scientist courses.

It would be worth checking if European Space Agency or private companies such as Virgin Galactic recruit students from there.

It's not real (although it fooled me for a while and I'm still not entirely sure lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending