The Student Room Group

being in top 7 percent enough to get through lse masters?

I'm currently doing my undergraduate studies from a foreign university and we are the first batch of the new semester system. As a result, we all got over the top grades because the course was split into smaller portions or the marks were inflated cause the authorities wanted to show the semester system works the best.either way i got 88 percent and was in the top 7 percent of my university. you think it would be enough to get a place for msc economics at lse? in the annual mode people from university used to make it through with a 72 percent. since, the system has changed, i don't know how to measure my performance. i know a number of other factors are also taken into consideration like the gre scores etc but im yet to take gre. please reply
Reply 1
I will assume that you are asking about getting into LSE, rather than through the program, given the wording for your post. A strong class rank will definitely help you, but the second most important factor will not be the GRE but the letters of recommendation. Of course generally speaking, great grades will imply strong letters, especially if you took challenging coursework. Explain to your professors why you want to do this program and have them comment on your suitability. Finally, the statement of purpose has barely any importance for a degree of this type. Just make sure it doesn't hurt you.
Reply 2
Original post by amaken1
I'm currently doing my undergraduate studies from a foreign university and we are the first batch of the new semester system. As a result, we all got over the top grades because the course was split into smaller portions or the marks were inflated cause the authorities wanted to show the semester system works the best.either way i got 88 percent and was in the top 7 percent of my university. you think it would be enough to get a place for msc economics at lse? in the annual mode people from university used to make it through with a 72 percent. since, the system has changed, i don't know how to measure my performance. i know a number of other factors are also taken into consideration like the gre scores etc but im yet to take gre. please reply

Economics is extremely competitive. You will most likely need more than just top 7%

Just to give you an idea - I am top 5%, and no thanks to any "new system", but really top 5%, and yet I was rejected from UCL Economics, which is easier to get into than LSE.
For Econ they look at what modules you took, how much math, what did you get in all these modules, how hard really were they etc. Plus you need a near perfect GRE and references.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest