The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Does the University offer jobs to students?

Hi everyone, I'll arrive in Manchester for my MRes in September and I would like, if my timetable will let me, to find a part time job just for making some money and don't ask everything to my family.

In Italy many universities offer part time jobs to the students, it's the same in Manchester? Just in case it's the same there, where I have to search?

Thank you
Reply 1
You can get jobs within the SU, in the bar,shops etc. They also do 'purple people' it's not anything overly permanent (although it's good pay)where you show people around on Open days, do department tours and the like.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Sorry but SU stay for what? :colondollar:
With "purple pleople" I hope that you don't mean that University pay students to get painted in purple to show all the university. :biggrin:
Anyway, do you know where is the office where I can ask for a job at the university?
Thank
Reply 3
SU = student union
Reply 4
The SU is the Student's union. Hahaha although that would be a brilliant idea for the purple people, they only actually have to wear purple hoodies. :biggrin:

I don't think there is really an office, we have a careers service, but it's more based for graduate recruitment.

For jobs at the Student's Union: http://www.umsu.manchester.ac.uk/jobs (There are no vacancies currently, I imagine this is because our union is being done up and it is now the holidays)
In terms of the purple people, they usually send emails recruiting those throughout the year.

You can also work in halls bars, although they are privately owned technically (although the owner of most, Paul 'PK' Kelly is lovely) and he usually targets the students he regularly sees in the halls bars, that could be another option.

Have you not simply thought about getting a job in Manchester? It's a big city and there's tons of job opportunities whether it be in restaurants,retail or office work. They aren't too hard to come by and being an international student won't disadvantage if you are worried about this.

Manchester isn't really an isolated 'campus' university so there are alot less jobs available within the university I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Ahahah ok, but keep this idea for you, I don't wanna get painted in purple to find a job :P

Mmmh working at the students unions seems good, yea I think I'll try to get some jobs there. Yea there is competition but I'm gonna try :biggrin:
Thank you for the information
Reply 6
Original post by tillytots
You can get jobs within the SU, in the bar,shops etc. They also do 'purple people' it's not anything overly permanent (although it's good pay)where you show people around on Open days, do department tours and the like.

Oooh, I was a 'purple person' at Durham during my time there (Sounds like pretty much the same thing). It's something I'd be very interested in doing again during my time at Manchester. How would I go about applying to it when I get there?
Original post by Mr Ben
Oooh, I was a 'purple person' at Durham during my time there (Sounds like pretty much the same thing). It's something I'd be very interested in doing again during my time at Manchester. How would I go about applying to it when I get there?

The university's already recruited next year's intake of purple people. You could email your department to see if they need any student reps for open days etc, they're basically the same as purple people (without the cool purple hoody though, boo). My school (law) sends out emails regularly trying to recruit people. They're in need of 10 more people for open days this week in fact...
Reply 8
Original post by ellakrystina
The university's already recruited next year's intake of purple people. You could email your department to see if they need any student reps for open days etc, they're basically the same as purple people (without the cool purple hoody though, boo). My school (law) sends out emails regularly trying to recruit people. They're in need of 10 more people for open days this week in fact...

Ah, so I'll have to wait until second year before I can do purple people stuff then, that's a shame. I'll definitely e-mail the department to see if they need reps for open days though (although probably wait till term starts to do that, don't want to seem too keen :P ), cheers for the advice :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ellakrystina

Mmmh, I think I never won't be a Purple Man because my MRes (and every master in UK I think... :confused: ) last just one year. It's the end of dream... ok guys, I'm gonna buy a purple hoody an I'll pretend to be one of them :biggrin:

Seriously I think that a freshman can't be a purple guy, how he can knows the university/faculty?
I'll try with something else
Reply 10
I can't say for all departments but in chemistry (and quite a few others) you can work for the open days and get paid quite decently.
Reply 11
Some people confused 'purple people' with 'student ambassadors'.

Purple people help during the orientation week. Student Ambassadors work throughout the year. A newsletter is sent out frequently advertising the days you can work - so you can choose as much or as little as you want to work (given what is available, of course). Some ambassadors work weekly, some seldom work.

Email them, asking them to inform you when applications are open: http://www.sraid.manchester.ac.uk/widening-participation/student-ambassadors/
The students' union hired earlier than usual this year so they've already hired for the next academic year but there are always opportunities for work as people as mentioned. I've found that the more you get involved in the uni (peer mentoring, staff student liaison committee etc), the more frequent the emails. I know people who do nothing rarely get them.
Reply 13
Original post by Aemiliana
The students' union hired earlier than usual this year so they've already hired for the next academic year but there are always opportunities for work as people as mentioned. I've found that the more you get involved in the uni (peer mentoring, staff student liaison committee etc), the more frequent the emails. I know people who do nothing rarely get them.

You mentioned a lot of figure that we don't have in italy or maybe we do have its but are called differently. What usually do the staff student liaison committee? Because I'm a student representative here in Italy but we're not paid except in few cases.
Thank
It's like a student rep. You don't get paid but the more you get involved in uni, the more paid opportunities there are.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
ok, but what they usually do?
thank

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending