The Student Room Group

AS and A2 levels UCAS

Okay, I'm trying to fill out my UCAS and i'm not sure what to put on AS.

First of all, is AS called GCE Advanced Subsidiary (first award 2001)? And is A2 called GCE Advanced Level?

Now, should I enter all my AS levels, including the ones I will be continuing in A2, or should I just put the ones I will be continuing in A2 and just the AS's. What I mean by this is should I enter 4 GCE Advance Subsidiary and 3 GCE advanced levels and enter all the modules for each of them? Would I have to enter the modules twice (one for AS and one for A2), or just put the AS modules in AS and the A2 modules in A2, even though it has 6 modules for the A2... Also i'm self teaching Further maths so should I just leave the modules as pending (I will be doing the whole AS in January 2013 and the rest of the modules in June).

Thanks
Yes, AS stands for advanced subsidiary.
If you are taking a subject to A2 then you don't need to separately add the AS, also putting in the modules and grades for each module is optional. For the self taught subject, you need to leave the modules as pending and you can put 'independent study' in the box for the college name.
Reply 2
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Yes, AS stands for advanced subsidiary.
If you are taking a subject to A2 then you don't need to separately add the AS, also putting in the modules and grades for each module is optional. For the self taught subject, you need to leave the modules as pending and you can put 'independent study' in the box for the college name.

If I don't separately add the AS, then how will the unis see my AS grades? Thanks for your reply
Original post by COLON.D
Okay, I'm trying to fill out my UCAS and i'm not sure what to put on AS.

First of all, is AS called GCE Advanced Subsidiary (first award 2001)? And is A2 called GCE Advanced Level?

Now, should I enter all my AS levels, including the ones I will be continuing in A2, or should I just put the ones I will be continuing in A2 and just the AS's. What I mean by this is should I enter 4 GCE Advance Subsidiary and 3 GCE advanced levels and enter all the modules for each of them? Would I have to enter the modules twice (one for AS and one for A2), or just put the AS modules in AS and the A2 modules in A2, even though it has 6 modules for the A2... Also i'm self teaching Further maths so should I just leave the modules as pending (I will be doing the whole AS in January 2013 and the rest of the modules in June).

Thanks

1. Yes, they are.

2. It depends upon whether your school cashes AS grades in or not. If they do, you add all four AS subjects you took as GCE Advanced Subsidiary with the grades achieved, and then also add the three you're continuing as GCE Advanced. If not, the one you drop is an AS and the others are A2, and I believe all are pending.

3. You don't have to enter any modules if you don't wish - I didn't, so I'll leave the module questions to someone else. However, maths and further maths does complicate things due to being able to switch them around.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose
1. Yes, they are.

2. It depends upon whether your school cashes AS grades in or not. If they do, you add all four AS subjects you took as GCE Advanced Subsidiary, and then also add the three you're continuing as GCE Advanced.

3. You don't have to enter any modules if you don't wish - I didn't, so I'll leave the module questions to someone else. However, maths and further maths does complicate things due to being able to switch them around.

I see, so if my school does not cash in the AS grades, uni's will not be able to see my AS grades? I kind of want the universities to see my AS grades, as they will show a bigger improvement from GCSE (I hope).
Original post by COLON.D
I see, so if my school does not cash in the AS grades, uni's will not be able to see my AS grades? I kind of want the universities to see my AS grades, as they will show a bigger improvement from GCSE (I hope).

Technically, if your school don't cash in your AS grades you don't have any AS grades to show them. I edited my post to say what happens if they don't cash them in.

However, you can ask your referee to discuss the grades you have achieved in the reference.
Reply 6
Okay thank you
It's now only possible for independent schools not to cash in results, and hardly any of them take this option. All state schools must cash in AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending