The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Had an email to book a 'asda magic' interview and booked it, about an hour later got an email saying thanks for attending but youve been rejected due to high demand. I havent even attended it yet :biggrin: .....
Original post by ShNMorris
I had an induction yesterday at an ASDA living store yesterday, and i'm due for a 8 hour shift on Saturday.
My induction included till training, and serving real customers. I'm still not completely sure how to do returns and exchanges on the till as the person I was paired with gave me too much information to take on. Can you help?

Do you not do returns / exchanges at customer services?? I'm on checkouts, but in a ASDA supercentre so perhaps its slightly different....
deleted
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mattcoombs
It wasn't for any department in particular, I think it was general. When filling in the sheet I ticked pretty much all of the departments that I would want to work on, maybe I should give them a call and see what they say?

well i only ticked for one
department, so if you
ticked everything, they
may interview the people
who are picky first. Then
interview you with the
departments that are left
as you dont mind where
you go. If you didnt get a
rejection email then you
still in with a chance.
When does the working week start?
I understand that you get paid every 4 weeks with one week in arrears.

I had my 2 day induction start of the week and my first shift starts on Sunday. (Is that the new week?)

I'm asking this as I'm not sure which weeks payment will I not receive, as it's one week arrears.

Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Awesomeone
When does the working week start?
I understand that you get paid every 4 weeks with one week in arrears.

I had my 2 day induction start of the week and my first shift starts on Sunday. (Is that the new week?)

I'm asking this as I'm not sure which weeks payment will I not receive, as it's one week arrears.

Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Week starts on Sunday and yes it is monthly and a wk in arrears. Not sure about the rest as I'm a newbie too...
Regarding 1 on 1 interviews.

The process may have changed, or differ from store to store, but basically you've more-or-less got the job once you've passed the magic stage. The interview is just a formality.
You just got to bring right to work docs, dress well, etc. You sign a few things, fee simple questions and hey presto.

That said, it may have changed or differ store to store, or even managers.
I found out only the other day, my old manager (I'm on another department now) was fairly new to his job, so it's quite possible the seasonal interviews he did in Xmas 2010 were his first, hence the quick interview (5mins- if that).

Just incase it has changed, it won't hurt to come armed and ready for a proper interview.
Just be ready to answer questions about yourself, have some background reading into the company, and ask a couple of questions yourself (when prompted).

Good luck and hope it goes well.
Oh btw, regarding my my concern with Happy to Help-
I didn't fail! Yay. Was miss told it was a happy to help, but it was just an observation. Panic over!
I had my one to one and its kinda put me off! The people seemed miserable and the manager was over confident and quite patronising with me at the interview. Made me feel like I was not worthy to scan tins.
Reply 1869
I just got a phone call saying I've got the job for checkouts. 12 week temporary but possibly leading to permanent. So relieved. :smile: 18-36 hours a week, but I had no plans for summer apart from earning. Don't know when I start but she's sending an email my way with the details.
Hi everyone :smile:

I applied for a job in the bakery of my local store and my application is 'under review' so I guess that means I didn't fail the online tests? There are also other jobs going at the same store but you could only apply for one at once, so my question is, will they only consider me for the bakery job, or will they see that I've applied to their store and consider me for the other jobs anyway? Not sure whether to bother filling in another 2 or 3 applications or not :s-smilie:
Pay day !!!!
Reply 1872
I want to work here! but, I didn't go to university :frown:
Original post by berwick53
Pay day !!!!

Just been paid :smile: Assume I will get my first wage slip when I go in later?
Tax rebates put the yay into payday.

There's a yay in there somewhere..
Reply 1875
I had my magic assessment and it went well i think. I went on the asda jobs website and the job status it says 'Assessment Successful - Waiting for right role'. Does this mean i got the job?
Original post by MelissaJayne
Tax rebates put the yay into payday.

There's a yay in there somewhere..

Gah been put on a tax code and so docked £10.50 D: I think it's wrong though: I have another job which pays £35 per week and so I don't pay tax. As my earnings for both ASDA and my other job will be wayyyy below the threshold of £8k for taxable earnings, surely I shouldn't have been taxed??

Also today I was scanning some liver and the packet broke meaning I got liver and pigs blood all over me. Eugh.
Reply 1877
Had my first shift today and already managed to burn myself on the hot food counter :frown:
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Gah been put on a tax code and so docked £10.50 D: I think it's wrong though: I have another job which pays £35 per week and so I don't pay tax. As my earnings for both ASDA and my other job will be wayyyy below the threshold of £8k for taxable earnings, surely I shouldn't have been taxed??

Also today I was scanning some liver and the packet broke meaning I got liver and pigs blood all over me. Eugh.

Yeah, doesn't sound like you should be taxed on that. Go to personnel, they'll probably suggest what's best. Which code were you put on?

And I had the WORST day ever the other day, I ran over my foot with a FULL comp, then I smashed a jar of garlic and tomato sauce (SMELLY!) and then a jar down baby aisle was open and the banana porridge went all over my shoe.

In fairness it could have been worse, it could have been pigs blood.
Original post by MelissaJayne
Yeah, doesn't sound like you should be taxed on that. Go to personnel, they'll probably suggest what's best. Which code were you put on?

And I had the WORST day ever the other day, I ran over my foot with a FULL comp, then I smashed a jar of garlic and tomato sauce (SMELLY!) and then a jar down baby aisle was open and the banana porridge went all over my shoe.

In fairness it could have been worse, it could have been pigs blood.

Ahh cool. Just spoke to my dad and he's says that when I leave my other job in July (its at a school) I can transfer my 'tax-free' tax code to ASDA and then ask the taxman for a rebate. Sounds like a plan.

Uhh that sounds gross :/ Am going to try and have a better day tomorrow :smile: and not have any abusive customers re alcohol. I'm not being funny, but if you give me a 16-25 railcard which has a picture of you but no DoB, I'm not going to serve you am I?! Doh!

Also I'm trying to signup for the ASDA stars thingy and it won't recognise my walmart number / postcode. Is this because I don't have any stars yet??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending