The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Student parking on campus?

I know it's not necessary, but I was actually looking forward to bringing a car on campus during 1st year (if I do get in to Warwick...) but apparently there seems to be no overnight parking available to students. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct? And perhaps any alternatives as to where I could park?

(pls no replies saying how unnecessary a car is during 1st year- I'm just wondering!)
I graduated last year, so may be out of date, but my experience was:
- it was tricky to park anywhere unless you were on campus early (<0900)
- everywhere was pay and display or pay on exit
- there was a local resident permit scheme around the back of tescos
- tecsos started putting up cameras limiting you to a couple of hours parking

Overnight parking, I would suggest, is nearly impossible without paying a small fortune (although I don't know how tightly enforced the last two points are).
With the pay and display option on campus, it was worth not buying a ticket and taking the fine when they caught you - again this may have changed.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
If you have a medical condition, you can get a permit which allows you free overnight parking. Outside of that, you're unlikely to have much luck. Bear in mind that 'medical condition' can be pretty broad, and not actually something that would require you to have a car.
Reply 3
Original post by GordonP
I graduated last year, so may be out of date, but my experience was:
- it was tricky to park anywhere unless you were on campus early (<0900)
- everywhere was pay and display or pay on exit
- there was a local resident permit scheme around the back of tescos
- tecsos started putting up cameras limiting you to a couple of hours parking

Overnight parking, I would suggest, is nearly impossible without paying a small fortune (although I don't know how tightly enforced the last two points are).
With the pay and display option on campus, it was worth not buying a ticket and taking the fine when they caught you - again this may have changed.

I emailed them about the pay and display permis and they said they were not valid overnight, but I do find it difficult to believe they have NO overnight parking facilities for students?! I'm not bothered about having to pay a 'small fortune' (within reason) but can't seem to find how/who I'd pay it to!

Original post by Callum828
If you have a medical condition, you can get a permit which allows you free overnight parking. Outside of that, you're unlikely to have much luck. Bear in mind that 'medical condition' can be pretty broad, and not actually something that would require you to have a car.

Nope, no medical condition...although I do work at residential homes nearby and that requires transport in case of emergencies but that's about it really!
Original post by shanban

Nope, no medical condition...although I do work at residential homes nearby and that requires transport in case of emergencies but that's about it really!

Worth a shot requesting it.
Reply 5
I looked into this a few years ago. Pretty sure there is no way to have a car if you live on campus. You would have to wait til you move off campus. Unless ofc you have a medical condition which means you need a car.
when i was in first year my friend parked her car up near westwood on a residential bit. ive heard you need permits there now, but havent actually looked myself.

If you join a sports club you might be able to get a permit through them.. another friend had one in her final year as she was club pres and needed a car to be able to give lifts to training etc (sport wasnt something you could do on campus)
You can park overnight in the Sports Centre car park near Tocil, and on weekends it's free too. If you get an exec position on a society you can get a free parking pass too.
Reply 8
Original post by encounters01
You can park overnight in the Sports Centre car park near Tocil, and on weekends it's free too. If you get an exec position on a society you can get a free parking pass too.

Wait, what...how?! I've been on execs all year, and will be on them all next year too. Not that I have a car, but I might want the option :p:
There is no reliable way to regularly park overnight on campus as an undergraduate without a valid medical reason. Things were different a few years ago but this is the situation now. Don't bring a car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending