The Student Room Group

69% result for my degree - any way to appeal or increase by 1%?

I've just received 69% for my degree and was wondering whether there's any way of appealing or something to gain that extra 1%?

I'm happy with my result and very much doubt that this is possible but I'm just curious. I kinda wish I'd got a lower percentage just so I wasn't kicking myself about not getting 1% more.

:smile:
Reply 1
Some universities employ this:

Exit Velocity Principle

Where a student's classification average falls within 2% of a classification boundary, the Award Board shall consider the non-weighted average of the Final Year of Study. (This average will have been calculated for the purposes of awarding final year credit.)

Where the student's Final Year average is in the higher classification band, the Award Board shall normally award the higher class degree.

You could ask if that is in any way applicable. Have you actually been given your classification yet though? They may have already awarded you a first. If not, there's little you can do other than see if there's any thing like exit velocity in place, though to be honest if there is, they would have likely used it already for you.
Reply 2
dont most universities when people get 68-72% just look at the work and then decide what level it is on and award the classification based on that?

so you got a 69% because it wasnt good enough to be a first and 70%?

oh and congrats on graduating :smile:
Yes, Appeal.

Depending on how you did in a certain percentage of your modules, they may bump you up.
There's no harm in trying, right?

It's not as if you'll lose around 10% and go down to a 2.2 :tongue:
Reply 5
Well when they sent out the email saying results are up, I logged into the results page on our portal and it's listed there saying "You have been awarded the Bachelor of Arts with Honours Upper Second Class in English and TEFL."

So I'm guessing they have awarded it officially - i'll check who I need to contact to see if it can be appealed against.

Oh and the modules I did were something like 70, 71, 68, 67, 66
aw thats is quite upsetting really, I hope they show some leaniency!
Original post by beastofburden
Well when they sent out the email saying results are up, I logged into the results page on our portal and it's listed there saying "You have been awarded the Bachelor of Arts with Honours Upper Second Class in English and TEFL."

So I'm guessing they have awarded it officially - i'll check who I need to contact to see if it can be appealed against.

Oh and the modules I did were something like 70, 71, 68, 67, 66

Quite often, you'll need to get the majority of your final years marks as a first. You only have 2 first class marks out of a possible 5. It's a real borderline call. Try for it at least.
There's still the risk if re-evaluated it may even go down. But if you think it will go up, then best of luck :smile:
To be fair, the majority of your marks in your final year are 2:1s and it's not like you have particularly high firsts at 71 and 70. I very much doubt it's going to change, I know in my subject they look at all the borderlines and review their work to see whether they can move them up before they release all the degree classifications. It probably has already been reviewed and you've been placed there.
Reply 10

Gotta love autocorrection making ******s sound even ******ier
Reply 11

Would've been funnier if you referenced Shakespeare rather than Einstein as I wasn't correcting math. Gallant effort though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending