The Student Room Group

A4E just 3.5 per cent success rate. Good value for money!

http://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-a4e-finds-jobs-for-3-5-per-cent-of-job-seekers

Along with many others in this town I am on this programme, and I have to say it is not working very well at all. The people who work here in this A4E center have come from Liverpool (a city which I have found it quite easy to find work, if only for bar work) and they have brought their misplaced optimism with them, as well as a whole lot of indignation for people who are trapped in this town and unable to find work. This town is an old industrial town (i.e., coal and glass), and it is not like Liverpool at all. It has an ageing population with some 1600+ males alone out of work. Areas which once had shops have no longer, and the town center has become a Pound Shop and charity shop haven.

So desparate are A4E that they have resorted to pre-empting on job advertisements much to the dismay of employers. And we have heard and seen recently the controversy of this company in the news, although not even A4Es 'customers' know anything about it, as I have found out since talking to a few people. In fact, this company has so many issues, including bullying and harrassment, telling their customers that they will face sanctions if they do not find a job eventually, blocking Facebook and the Watching A4E website on their computers.

The unprecented amount of people shuttled on the programme now means that they have to queue to use a computer, or sit in such horrible close proximity to another that there is very little privacy. The staff appear to be stressed or over-worked and this means that they kick-down a lot to their 'customers', when things are not going to plan. Not all the staff are like this, and many are well-meaning, but it appears that many are not well-meaning, as is proved by the sheer amount of complaints against the company, according to the local MP. I, myself, have filed two complaints against them already. And I know of two others who have filed complaints against them.

The company represents what is bad about Capitalism, and private companies whose motive is purely driven by profit.
Reply 1
Not surprising given that the tories are in power. Just another subsidy to a private company from the public purse.
Original post by Martyn*
http://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-a4e-finds-jobs-for-3-5-per-cent-of-job-seekers

Along with many others in this town I am on this programme, and I have to say it is not working very well at all. The people who work here in this A4E center have come from Liverpool (a city which I have found it quite easy to find work, if only for bar work) and they have brought their misplaced optimism with them, as well as a whole lot of indignation for people who are trapped in this town and unable to find work. This town is an old industrial town (i.e., coal and glass), and it is not like Liverpool at all. It has an ageing population with some 1600+ males alone out of work. Areas which once had shops have no longer, and the town center has become a Pound Shop and charity shop haven.

So desparate are A4E that they have resorted to pre-empting on job advertisements much to the dismay of employers. And we have heard and seen recently the controversy of this company in the news, although not even A4Es 'customers' know anything about it, as I have found out since talking to a few people. In fact, this company has so many issues, including bullying and harrassment, telling their customers that they will face sanctions if they do not find a job eventually, blocking Facebook and the Watching A4E website on their computers.

The unprecented amount of people shuttled on the programme now means that they have to queue to use a computer, or sit in such horrible close proximity to another that there is very little privacy. The staff appear to be stressed or over-worked and this means that they kick-down a lot to their 'customers', when things are not going to plan. Not all the staff are like this, and many are well-meaning, but it appears that many are not well-meaning, as is proved by the sheer amount of complaints against the company, according to the local MP. I, myself, have filed two complaints against them already. And I know of two others who have filed complaints against them.

The company represents what is bad about Capitalism, and private companies whose motive is purely driven by profit.

Give them time, they cannot be expected to work miracles over-night. We should keep with them - they have proven expertise, as seen on that C4 show not too long ago.

I like Emma Harrison, she has made her way from bottom to top and can help us crack down on the idle!
Reply 3
Original post by Martyn*

So to recap. There was a city you found it easy to get work in. You have moved to a city where you have no work and it's difficult to get work. Now you're complaining about not having work.

And that's capitalism's fault? A cynical person might suggest you have something to do with it.
Reply 4
The work programme is a load of rubbish. I've been on it since September and am really doing nothing (apart from being called a liar and stubborn) on it.
Reply 5
Original post by Norton1
So to recap. There was a city you found it easy to get work in. You have moved to a city where you have no work and it's difficult to get work. Now you're complaining about not having work.

And that's capitalism's fault? A cynical person might suggest you have something to do with it.

You don't know the whole story. I had to move back here because I was evicted and had no where else to go. You should not judge unless you know the whole story.

Yes. It is Capitalism's fault. I would say that there was a lack of organisation on the part of Liverpool Council and Maritime Housing Association. Indeed, I had a part to play, but only a correlative one.
Reply 6
Original post by Empire08
Not surprising given that the tories are in power. Just another subsidy to a private company from the public purse.

Um, A4E's contract was established under James Purnell, the former Labour employment minister, iirc.
Reply 7
Original post by Martyn*
You don't know the whole story. I had to move back here because I was evicted and had no where else to go. You should not judge unless you know the whole story.

Yes. It is Capitalism's fault. I would say that there was a lack of organisation on the part of Liverpool Council and Maritime Housing Association. Indeed, I had a part to play, but only a correlative one.

There's not only one flat in the whole city of Liverpool, however.

Original post by Aeschylus
Um, A4E's contract was established under James Purnell, the former Labour employment minister, iirc.

You just tried to introduce facts to a kneejerk anti tory. WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU MAD BLIND FOOL?
Reply 8
Whilst I agree that they've only been working for a short while and need a chance, maybe this will show the PM that it's all well and good saying "Get off benefits and get a job", but in practice it isn't quite so easy when there are so many applicants for so few jobs.
Reply 9
I haven't worked for 5 years. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT. hahahhaha. That's right. Get in your car at 8am tomorrow and run the rat race once again. Toil. Toiling is a virtuous activity. Everyone must toil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending