The Student Room Group

Do people just go up to workers in stores and ask for jobs?

I am in need of a job and just can't find anything online. Friends and I are hoping to dress smart and just approach workers in stores like H&M and M&S etc basically any clothing store or supermarkets etc and ask them face-to-face if we can work there.
Is this a stupid idea?
Is it likely we'll land a job like this?
We just don't know what else to do, been searching for jobs online for ages and there are no vacancies that are suitable for us.
We don't have any experience either and just finished our A-Levels and hope to continue this job we hopefully land this summer throughout our gap year as well as this summer :smile:
Worth a shot.
Original post by Alana6277
I am in need of a job and just can't find anything online. Friends and I are hoping to dress smart and just approach workers in stores like H&M and M&S etc basically any clothing store or supermarkets etc and ask them face-to-face if we can work there.
Is this a stupid idea?
We just don't know what else to do, been searching for jobs online for ages and there are no vacancies that are suitable for us.
We don't have any experience either and just finished our A-Levels and hope to continue this job we hopefully land this summer throughout our gap year as well as this summer :smile:

I don't see how that's possible.
Reply 3
I work in a shop and people come up all the time to ask if there are any jobs going! I wouldn't say "can I work here?", I'd go more along the lines of "Are there any vacant positions? I'm looking for a temporary/permanent job." But it's a good idea to approach people, just remember to take a file with CV's in along with you. Hope this helps :smile: x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Absolutely, that's how I use to apply for summer jobs. Just bring your CV and ask if you can speak to a manager.
Reply 5
Original post by SleepySheep
I don't see how that's possible.

I mean in the sense that most of them require 'experience' esp retail related which we don't have.
Reply 6
Original post by HW5
I work in a shop and people come up all the time to ask if there are any jobs going! I wouldn't say "can I work here?", I'd go more along the lines of "Are there any vacant positions? I'm looking for a temporary/permanent job." But it's a good idea to approach people, just remember to take a file with CV's in along with you. Hope this helps :smile: x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by M1011
Absolutely, that's how I use to apply for summer jobs. Just bring your CV and ask if you can speak to a manager.

:smile: awesome! Btw i'm really stuck as to what to include on my CV because I don't have any previous work experience etc. So on my 'CV' is it sufficient to just include contact details, address, education, a mini personal statement and that i'm a regular volunteer at the local Hospital and Child Contact Centre etc?
Reply 7
yes
Is this a stupid idea?

With no experience it's unlikely you'll get a job in a high street store (not impossible tho), try supermarkets, corner shops, petrol stations, cafes and fast food chains.
Reply 9
:smile: awesome! Btw i'm really stuck as to what to include on my CV because I don't have any previous work experience etc. So on my 'CV' is it sufficient to just include contact details, address, education, a mini personal statement and that i'm a regular volunteer at the local Hospital and Child Contact Centre etc?

Yes, I'd put down the volunteer work as work experience if I was you. Also, once you've put it together submit it to the cv forum on here, one of the mods will look over it for you and suggest improvements.
Reply 10
I dressed in shirt trousers, took my CV asked to speak to a manager, they called me back the day after offering an interview, the day after that I had my interview and got offered a job there and then. I'd only previously had a Saturday job... Got lucky I guess, just show confidence and be polite, you'll be alright.

Companies would rather see you face to face then you sending them your CV through the post or whatever..
I mean in the sense that most of them require 'experience' esp retail related which we don't have.

apply anyway, every employer wants experience, you have to start somewhere.
Reply 12
ask to speak to the manager, workers such as employees cant decide whether to give you a job
Yeah many people do this. I've done it myself. It can become very frustrating but if you stick at it you'll find a break. Yeah its simple really, if you don't ask you don't get. Maybe approach someone who looks like a manager of some type. You never know, they might be short of staff and you might be doing them a favor, or if not then they might be able to inform you of a recruitment drive planned in the near future which you can prepare for. The worst they can say is "No".
Approach it as "do you have any vacancies available at the moment?" rather than "can I work here?"
Without experience you're not likely to get a perminant job, but it's not impossible. Everyone has to start sometime.
Reply 15
It's also worth looking online. A lot of big companies like supermarkets often have an online application form, that's how I got my first job :smile:
Reply 16

Yeah put all of those things on, as well as your GCSEs and A Levels with grades. Maybe try to get a short reference? But that's not essential.
I had no experience in retail when I started, but I filled in a job application form on the Internet, printed it off and dropped it off at the shop I wanted to work at. Within 2 days I had a response and an interview, and then 2 days after that had got the job. I think employers like it when people take initiative.

Good Luck! x
Reply 17
In my experience, when I tried this post-GCSE, they either took a CV off me or told me to check their website for vacancies. Both did actually feel like brush-offs and I got prank calls from Homebase after handing someone a CV (lol). It's worth a try though if online searching isn't going anywhere.
Is this a stupid idea?

You Obviously don't go in there and say: CAN i HAVE A JOB?! :biggrin:

Anyways, you could always ask. But, there are most stores which only recruit online.... so, they will tell you to check online.....

There are also some staff who make are rude and reluctant to take your CV. Its like they think your stealin their jobs!

Starbucks in an example. I love starbucks! Im a frequent customer there, I have gold status etc... So when I ask if I can give in my application, they say: Oh, we have no vacancies. When I then reply: Can I still give it in? they either give me a dirty look and snatch it or just bluntly say no.

And then, when I do give in my application and call the store to check on it. I speak to the (lousy, rude, unprofessional) managers, and they are like: What CV and application? What you on about mate? (how the **** is that professional!)

Another example was when I was in card factory and they had a sign in the window saying they were recruiting. So I give in my CV (well, it was snatched from me and the thank you was a huff and puff from the staff member) then, when I call in a week later to follow up. The manager is literally barking at! she was saying: NO I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE CVS! I HAVE A PILE! then she goes onto saying: NO WE DON'T HAVE VACANCIES! WE JUST PUT THAT SIGN UP THERE JUST INCASE WE DO! Talk about professionalism....

Anyways, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending