The Student Room Group

Dutch Company Aims to establish permanent human colony on Mars

The project is called Mars One and it aims to establish permantent human colonies on Mars by 2023. The project will be funded by private corporations and advertisers and would be televised in a "Big Brother" type event on steroids.

Click here for more information.

What do you think about the prospect of peoples spending 7 months on a rocket and then spending the rest of their lives on Mars?

I wonder what effect this will have on the average human lifespan as it's already been proven that reduced gravity can wreak havoc with the human body.

Scroll to see replies

This is being used as a 'Big Brother type event'?? Worlds gone mad. Colonization of the solar system should be used only to advance science and human development and civilization. Not entertainment.
Reply 2
Original post by Old Father Time
This is being used as a 'Big Brother type event'?? Worlds gone mad. Colonization of the solar system should be used only to advance science and human development and civilization. Not entertainment.

Since governmental organisations such as NASA aren't going to be able to do much since their funding's been slashed, it's up to the private industry. If it takes televising the colony live to fund it, I'm all for it, plus we gain a valuable insight into what it's like on Mars.

NASA have had 40 years to further space exploration but their is no drive. Sometimes I think only another Cold War would force massive funding in space expeditions by global superpowers.
Sounds like the most horiffic kind of torture for the people that go. The novelty of being on Mars would wear off pretty quickly, then it's just a barren rock.

I would love the human race to expand across space, and we need the first pioneers to do that. I'm just not convinced there is a lot for us in this solar system.

Edit: Here is a copy of a later post, because people keep misunderstanding me :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Octohedral
Sounds like the most horiffic kind of torture for the people that go. The novelty of being on Mars would wear off pretty quickly, then it's just a barren rock.

I would love the human race to expand across space, and we need the first pioneers to do that. I'm just not convinced there is a lot for us in this solar system.

I don't think we'll be able to colonise other star systems in the near future. Consider the fact that it took Voyager 1 35 years to get outside of our own solar system.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It's pretty smart actually. They need the money from the event, sponsorships and advertising to fund the whole thing and without funding this doesn't happen. It's really only a step up from televising the moon landing and it would be an interesting experiment for others (NASA and private corporations) to see how the people cope and what affects them. There's no point colonising a planet if you can't adjust to living on it.

The reason why there is not enough funding for this is because the respective governments of the Earth spend their money on other things such as war. I'd argue that whilst this is the case, then such a mission should not be taking place. This will only extend the problems we face on Earth to the Red Planet. That could be disastrous and lead in many fatalities. Lets sort out our own planet and our own problems before sending humans with these problems onto another one.
Reply 6
I like the idea of the moon being a giant cannabis cafe, so go them. You might even be able to get some Magic Mushmoons. Ha!

Sorry.
Original post by ThatPerson
I don't think we'll be able to colonise other star systems in the near future. Consider the fact that it took Voyager 1 35 years to get outside of our own solar system.

I know - that's why I'm saying maybe Mars isn't worth it right now.
Reply 8
This is simply BS!
What is actually going on NOW dont give us cover stories on what will happen (seriously doubtful) 11yrs time. BS!
Give me a shout when it works please!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 9
Don't fancy it.

Last time we set up penal colonies they started beating us at cricket and rugby :colonhash:
I find it bizarre that there will be humans living on Mars in my lifetime. It's one of those futuristic things portrayed in films like hovercars and glass skyscrapers everywhere, but it's actually happening. :gah:
The reason why there is not enough funding for this is because the respective governments of the Earth spend their money on other things such as war. I'd argue that whilst this is the case, then such a mission should not be taking place. This will only extend the problems we face on Earth to the Red Planet. That could be disastrous and lead in many fatalities. Lets sort out our own planet and our own problems before sending humans with these problems onto another one.

That is a very good perspective; I like it. There are still so many territorial disputes on Earth, it wouldn't be hard to imagine something like that just on a larger scale.

Here is an extract from an interview with the director of SETI:

Stephen Hawking thinks that broadcasting our existence to aliens is too risky, as they might come and plunder the Earth. You disagree?

Stephen may be right - neither of us are experts in extraterrestrial psychology. Humans haven't treated each other well in the past, I agree with that. But I can imagine another scenario: if aliens can get here, they must be significantly more technologically advanced than we are. They will be older than we are. I don't think you get to be old unless you outgrow the aggression that was probably so helpful in developing your intelligence over evolutionary times. By the way, if they do come here, they will be calling all the shots.
It sounds a bit like a social experiment. It can get a lot of money though and it's interesting how Human exploration has become entertainment but we watch films about adventure. It's the perfect way for us all to support it. Frankly I'd be happy with daily blogs than a full blown Big Brother thing.
So not going to happen.
Original post by Octohedral

I agree, there's certainly not a lifetime's worth of experiments to be done on Mars. Essentially they would just be being used as guinea pigs to investigate the long term effects of low gravity on the human body; certainly doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I understand where you're coming from with your second point too, but I'm not sure it's very realistic to go straight from traveling 250,000 miles to the moon, to traveling 118000000000000 miles to the nearest star system with potentially habitable planet with no stepping stone in between.

As much as it saddens me I don't see things like ethnic conflicts, wars over resources, religion, etc. disappearing any time soon. Definitely not before it becomes completely viable for individual organisations to travel to and from Mars and establish permanent settlements there.

So taking that into account, **** it. Given the myriad of other advances that will come from it, I'm all for anything furthering man's endeavours into space. If anything I feel better about NGOs taking the lead than specific countries doing so.

Original post by perfectsymbology
I think we should have a rival project. Mars cannot fall into Dutch hands.

Then again, we can just nick it once they've set up camp like with New York.

haha ;p

At least the evictions would be fun to watch :wink:
Stopped reading @ 2023

:lol:
Original post by darkphilosopher
at least the evictions would be fun to watch :wink:

totalrecall09-300x168.jpg

:d
Reply 19
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Stopped reading @ 2023

:lol:

Think of the fact that the Einsenhower administration was already thinking about the moon in 1960, and JFK's speech in 1961 in which he said that the USA should commit itself to launching a man on the moon in the next decade. Within a decade, a man was on the moon.

2023 is only 11 years away, if you compare it to the Apollo initiative, it seems a lot more viable. People have had these kind of far-off visions before, and yes it might seem impossible, but pre 1969 no one had thought it possible to go on the moon, yet it happened, and now most people (apart from crazy consipiracy theorists) believe fully that it is possible to go to the moon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending