The Student Room Group

NHS Braces or Private..need advise please

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
You need to fill in a HC1 form. You can get this from the job centre and dentist.

Orthodontic treatment isn't covered by the NHS once you are 16 (18 in full time education).
Reply 21
Original post by StudentonTSR
During my work shadowing placement at an orthodontic surgery, the dentist told patients to wear the retainer every day for 6 months and then only at night after 6 months (you still see the orthodontist over the 1 year following the removal of the fixed brace). When the patient has completed the treatment plan and is discharged, the orthodontist generally allows the patient to keep the retainer and advises them to wear it for as long as they can ... possibly even for the rest of their lives.

Your teeth move all the time, therefore it's beneficial if you can wear a retainer for the rest of your life, just at night, after your fixed brace has been removed.

Wow, I stand corrected! I imagine it would be less important to wear it after some time though, yes?
Reply 22
Original post by Miracle Day
I was under the impression you have to wear it for the rest of your life?

When I had my braces taken off and given the retainer, I was told to slowly stop wearing it. I wish I had kept on as my teeth have moved ever so slightly.
Original post by SHABANA
When I had my braces taken off and given the retainer, I was told to slowly stop wearing it. I wish I had kept on as my teeth have moved ever so slightly.

I'm pretty sure you could still put it on now? And it'll tighten back up?
Reply 24
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm pretty sure you could still put it on now? And it'll tighten back up?

No because it won't fit as it should and will just fall off.
Sometimes you can put it back on, it depends on how much your teeth have moved. Generally you have to wear a retainer all the time for several weeks, then only at night for several months. Gradually you wear it less until you only wear it on night every fortnight or something, but if you stop completely, then it's highly likely your teeth will move, especially if you didn't wear the retainer that long before stopping.
Original post by callum9999
I wouldn't bother - adults do get free/subsidised braces full stop, whether they have an HC1 or not.

They only get them if they have quite severe dental problems, just being a bit crooked isn't enough - you have to have problems keeping them clean, eating/drinking etc.

OP, some orthodontists will give you 0% interest loans (I know mine does) which you pay back over the course of treatment. It'd still be expensive but might be a bit easier? I'd also say £1,700 was cheap - I was quoted £3,400 for traditional metal braces.
Original post by GorgeousQueen
Hi there, I have a question regarding dental care? I am 17 years old and not in full time education anymore..I am doing an apprenticeship and go to college once a week...

I had braces when I was 13 and at the end of the treatment got told by the nurse to slowely stop wearing the retainer..i followed her advice and 3/4 years later i am stuck with teeth i had BEFORE the treatment a few years back...back in November 2011 I sent a letter of complaint to the NHS, a case got opened and they were debating on whether or not i should be allowed braces again with the NHS...the outcome was a straight no. They said no because I could not prove the dentist told me to stop wearing the retainer.

I want to know whether I can get help with the cost of the braces as I am only on £2.60 an hour and can not afford the £1,700 price tag braces have...could someone please advise me on what I can do or need to do to get braces? Many thanks...

Hey I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I had the same problem, except my orthodontist didn't fit the bottom brace or the life time retainer and my teeth are awful now! I'm 19 and after a battle and having to pay out to have a private consultation with my old private orthodontist, I'm getting it done again on the NHS. It's true though, you don't wear your retainer for life but as you get older your jaw gets bigger and shifts because your wisdom teeth start getting ready to come through. However, they shouldn't of shifted back that quickly. It sounds like the bite wasn't correctly fixed. Did you have both bottom and top braces? Maybe your mouth wasn't developed enough when they did it.

Maybe it's worth having a consultation with your orthodontist who did the treatment in the first place. Or see a GP and tell them it's affecting your life. I know my teeth was definitely making me depressed, and I'm so glad I'm getting it done under the NHS again next month. This time I can't wait to have braces on my teeth.

Keep looking into it, you're still eligible for braces on the NHS as you're under 18. Maybe you can get it done as a special circumstance and only pay £200 like adults do who have really bad bites. Is there any hospital near you with an orthodontic apartment? If you go to them for a consultation and explain, they might be able to do something for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Well when my friend needed braces and the NHS originally refused to pay she just went and claimed emotional distress without them and boom she got them :rolleyes:
Original post by cl_steele
Well when my friend needed braces and the NHS originally refused to pay she just went and claimed emotional distress without them and boom she got them :rolleyes:

Can you ask her how she went about that? Because that is also a part of it, as i've got older im more aware of my teeth, i hate smiling and haven't had a boyfriend because im too embarrassed about them,

can you message me or just reply, thanks
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
They only get them if they have quite severe dental problems, just being a bit crooked isn't enough - you have to have problems keeping them clean, eating/drinking etc.

OP, some orthodontists will give you 0% interest loans (I know mine does) which you pay back over the course of treatment. It'd still be expensive but might be a bit easier? I'd also say £1,700 was cheap - I was quoted £3,400 for traditional metal braces.

Well i have a overbite and crooked..I got told the invisalign wasnt a good idea for my teeth as they were too crooked for them and the traditional is the best..
Reply 31
I won't bother with the NHS past 18, it will be a lottery for anything to get fixed once they've said no. That was already the case many years ago can't imagine it would be any different now. Personally if it is really bothering you and you can afford it try looking for treatment overseas, the treatment , flights and even accommodation may cost less than the £1,700 you get a holiday and your teeth fixed. I believe Czech Republic has some very good ones, if you can afford to go further then I would highly recommend Thailand, many of their good ones are jam packed with American patients and more than likely the surgeons or dentists are even better trained than those in Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GorgeousQueen
Well i have a overbite and crooked..I got told the invisalign wasnt a good idea for my teeth as they were too crooked for them and the traditional is the best..

Well it's always worth asking, mine were pretty terrible and I got told flat out no, but you might be lucky. I think a lot of it does depend on the dentist.
I didn't think I could have invisalign either, but I'm wearing them right now! If you can get them I definitely, definitely recommend them.
Reply 33
Mine told me to wear it at night, i did, yet teeth started moving back. He then told me to only wear it occasionily, I listened again, but teeth got worse so i complained and he took my retainer off me. Helpful :rolleyes:
I had to get a tooth removed because the dentist destroyed it. The NHS won't pay to replace or pay for a crown or a bridge even though I have proof that it was the dentists fault my tooth had to be removed so don't hold your breath.
I hated wearing a retainer to realign my jawline. I was then offered braces I said no I had enough. I was only a teenage kid at the time. Turned 17 got a job, made money online and then paid for my Braces. The NHS paid £1k and I paid £2k. I had to pay £1k upfront then got 12 months interest free time to pay it back. Worked out well for me I hope you too find a way :smile:.
after braces you need to be wearing retainers for as long as you want straight teeth.. even if its just like once a week at night
10 months on after getting braces off and im still wearing mine every night and my teeth havent moved a bit, but will be able to reduce it soon
teeth have a memory and will always return to their original position.. with time they wont move much at all however
it is up to you to wear your retainers, not your ortho, if your retainer feels like your teeth dont fit in it perfectly you should wear it, if not then you are okay
you wont get braces on the nhs again as you have had them once, and the form you filled out just gives you free sight tests, free prescriptions and free dental check ups and for dental work its done in a case by case kind of basis.. i think fillings are included under the nhs but im not sure, it will not entitle you to more braces.. plus you will have to meet the minimum requirements for braces, which i only just met... but as i started ortho treatment in germany when i lived there they were obliged to continue my treatment in the uk
Reply 37
Original post by Beebumble
I had to get a tooth removed because the dentist destroyed it. The NHS won't pay to replace or pay for a crown or a bridge even though I have proof that it was the dentists fault my tooth had to be removed so don't hold your breath.

Could go to a solicitor to get it sorted out? Although I'm not to sure if they would do a no win no fee arrangement.
NHS dentistry is in a pickle, but that is not the dentists fault. it is lack of central funding making the job impossible. solicitors etc will increase the problem as cause more expense to the underfunded health system.

to try and proactively change things you should sign the Big Lie e petition to help dentists working v hard on the NHS improve their service, rather than lining pockets of private dentists.

The Big Lie about NHS dentistry in England - don't the Public deserve the Whole truth? - e-petitions http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37296
Actually you can keep on wearing the retainer for as long as you want to...I still have to wear mine as I have a particular issue with my teeth (long story). Every 1-2years I will have to get a new set of retainers.

How about trying to buy a pair of retainers? Or try getting braces under the NHS?

Both options can be quite costly, but I would suggest you go to see a dentist/orthodontist to figure out the best option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending