The Student Room Group

tall girls - where do you buy your tights?!

most of my tights are laddered and/or have holes in them and need to be thrown away. i usually find that tights from accessorize fit me (surprising as they're one size), and well as the M/L size from white stuff, but they both seem to have reduced their range and none of the ones they have at the moment look worth buying.

as a 6' tall girl i find that most tights, even in a large size, only pull up to my mid thigh! so i was hoping other tall girls could share where they buy theirs from?

i find that sainsburys is okay for plain tights, though they ladder after a couple of wears due to being stretched. i'm looking for something preferably with a subtle pattern that will last more than a few wears. :colondollar:
Not a girl but I just did a science projcet on tights. Primark have some amazingly long ones. The 100 derier XL didn't ladder with like a kilo of weight
Reply 2
I'm not quite 6 ft, but I buy the XXL ones from M&S (the ones for size 26 - i'm a 10!) and they fit well length wise, I figure they just stretch long instead of wide :smile:
Reply 3
Or try stockings - no worries about saggy gussets around mid-thigh. And if one ladders the other doesn't need to be thrown :smile: Much more comfy!
Reply 4
Original post by Calllu-m
Not a girl but I just did a science projcet on tights. Primark have some amazingly long ones. The 100 derier XL didn't ladder with like a kilo of weight

ha, i'll give them a go! my only worry is that i'm a size 6/8 so i don't want them to be baggy, i find a lot of large sized tights are. :s-smilie: but it's only primark i suppose so they wouldn't cost too much!

Original post by InkyOne
I'm not quite 6 ft, but I buy the XXL ones from M&S (the ones for size 26 - i'm a 10!) and they fit well length wise, I figure they just stretch long instead of wide :smile:

thanks, that's really useful! yeah i'm a small size too haha, so that's good to know.

Original post by EmilyD237
Or try stockings - no worries about saggy gussets around mid-thigh. And if one ladders the other doesn't need to be thrown :smile: Much more comfy!

i have a couple of pairs and really like them, but they're too pricey to invest in any more really! plus i have to be careful about what i can wear with them as the top of them is quite easily shown off, with dresses coming up so short on me and all. :colondollar:
I get mine from M&S :-)
I'm 5'9" so a bit shorter than you, but I actually find Primark tights to be pretty good in length! Mine haven't got any ladders in them, I usually get 40D :h:.
Reply 7
Original post by beccafairy

i have a couple of pairs and really like them, but they're too pricey to invest in any more really! plus i have to be careful about what i can wear with them as the top of them is quite easily shown off, with dresses coming up so short on me and all. :colondollar:

Stockings really aren't any more expensive than tights - in fact the ones I get (from BHS) are actually cheaper as stockings! :smile: The hold-up version is more expensive though.

Agreed you can't wear something too short with them! :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by EmilyD237
Stockings really aren't any more expensive than tights - in fact the ones I get (from BHS) are actually cheaper as stockings! :smile: The hold-up version is more expensive though.

Agreed you can't wear something too short with them! :colondollar:

ahh okay, i've been looking in the wrong places then i guess! i actually do own hold ups rather than stockings as the belt thingy for them is expensive, but then it's just a one time buy so i guess it's worth it. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by beccafairy
ahh okay, i've been looking in the wrong places then i guess! i actually do own hold ups rather than stockings as the belt thingy for them is expensive, but then it's just a one time buy so i guess it's worth it. :smile:

You can get a good plain but effective suspender belt for £8.00 from M&S :smile: These are good
http://www.marksandspencer.com/M-S-Woman-Sheer-Suspender/dp/B002CNPW38?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=55526031&sr=1-1&qid=1341002453&pf_rd_r=1W3HW7SYBC3MFY2D81XY&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=55526031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3 or
http://www.marksandspencer.com/M-S-Woman-Rise-Suspender/dp/B003W3FO4E?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_3&nodeId=55526031&sr=1-3&qid=1341002453&pf_rd_r=1W3HW7SYBC3MFY2D81XY&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=55526031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

But yes it is a 'one-off' buy - unless you wear them every day, then you'd need more... Try with Large-size (rather than 'one-size') stockings - a MUCH better fit than tights! :smile:
Reply 10

ooh, thanks so much! will definitely look into buying one :smile: i find that occasionally stockings have a 'size tall' as well which is amazing haha.

Quick Reply