The Student Room Group

Decent Unis That Are Typically Overlooked?

Yeah, what would people say are the overlooked universities that are worth going to? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I applied, there were so many people from my college going for the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham etc. I didn't know one person looking at UEA, which looks to be of similar stature if you look at the league tables. So maybe UEA...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Lancaster is quite decent but no-one I know has heard of it.
UEA!!!!!

It's top in Britain for my subject at the moment (Pharmacy) and has been pretty high up for a while even though the course is quite new. Pretty sure it's one of, if not the best, universities for English with Creative Writing as well. Good a good Environmental Sciences department as well.

But I'm not biased. :cool:
Reply 4
Dundee
Glasgow Caledonian University usually gets overlooked due to Glasgow University and Strathclyde :/
UEA and Surrey both seem to be universities that all the people I know either a) haven't heard of, or b) completely overlook
But after looking into them a bit more, they both seem to be very good unis :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by platty1907
When I applied, there were so many people from my college going for the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham etc. I didn't know one person looking at UEA, which looks to be of similar stature if you look at the league tables. So maybe UEA...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

League tables don't mean ****, the established quality of the uni should be what the OP needs to acknowledge when choosing where to go

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Templar49
Yeah, what would people say are the overlooked universities that are worth going to? Thanks :smile:

Reading, Stirling, Heythrop.
Reply 9
Queen Mary, normally overlooked cos of the surrounding area, though it is campus based

As another person stated Surrey is surprisingly good, I would also say Kent partly as well.
Reply 10
Dundee. University with the highest student satisfaction in the UK according to the times, one of the best universities for molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics, medicine etc., its art school is supposed to be in the top three, it has one of the best student unions ...
Reply 11
UWS
Reply 12
Original post by Miss Trololol
Glasgow Caledonian University usually gets overlooked due to Glasgow University and Strathclyde :/

i know! its suppose to be really good as well :/
Reply 13
Original post by Templar49

Don't listen to the people that say league tables are false :smile: They just go to universities lower down in them. You must look at a few league tables and make generalisations to find the "overall" league table.

I'd say Lancaster would be a very good choice. But generally, "good unis" are those from which employers like to take graduates from; and if employers haven't heard of the university, you're stuffed. :\
Original post by tdkr
League tables don't mean ****, the established quality of the uni should be what the OP needs to acknowledge when choosing where to go

To an extent, I do agree. I wouldn't go to a Uni just because of where it sat on the League table. I got an unconditional from Glasgow Uni to study Psychology this year but I chose Glasgow Caledonian because of the uniqueness of the course (Psychology with Interactive Entertainment) and I adored the modern feel of the campus :smile: But that's just my personal opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ZeeAli
i know! its suppose to be really good as well :/

I'm going there this year :biggrin: I think it has something to do with the fact that it's considered a very young university. It's only about twenty years old I think. The other two have been longer established as universities.

I like GCU because it's dead modern and very central. I went to Glasgow Uni on an open day and I didn't really like it. It's beautiful but not for me.
Reply 16
A lot of it depends on subject, Coventry for example (where I studied) - very middle of the park in terms of overall ranking and gets overlooked as being 'that grey pit' in the Midlands, but for automotive engineering / design, graphic design, international security, journalism it is exceptionally well regarded within those fields. Chief designers at both Lotus and the Ferrari F1 team went to Coventry, as well as a number of senior folk at the MOD and the BBC. All depends on what you want to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Rennit
Don't listen to the people that say league tables are false :smile: They just go to universities lower down in them. You must look at a few league tables and make generalisations to find the "overall" league table.

I'd say Lancaster would be a very good choice. But generally, "good unis" are those from which employers like to take graduates from; and if employers haven't heard of the university, you're stuffed. :\

No, you don't just look at trying to find a generalisation of particular unis on a league table, you've got to ask and find out about the established prospects and the reputation of the uni for the particular course you want to do. For example, when I was applying for Law it was necessary to find out the links the uni had with Law firms, the number of grads and alumni from that uni who went on to become solicitors/barristers/partners at major firms etc etc. Therefore the established rep of the uni is vital (though it is course dependent) rather than trying to generalise things from a few league tables.

(edited 11 years ago)
Aston Uni - I had never even considered it until putting in my UCAS form. It has a higher grad employment rate than oxbridge and produces the most millionaires than any other uni (this could be because it has a highly regarded business faculty)
There are several in Wales which don't seem to get much of a mention on TSR. Cardiff, Bangor and Aberystwyth spring to mind.

Quick Reply

Latest