The Student Room Group

Probabilities St. Normal Distribution

Hi I want to check this out with everyone.

Assume the mean is 150 and the St. deviation is 5. I want to find the % probability that any 1 value will fall under 145 and over 160.

What I did was found the Z score for both values by the X - u / SD formula , then found the % probabilities of both reading it off the Z tables.

I then added the 2 % together and subtract the sum from 100% = the % probability they will fall o/s 145 - 160.

is this correct ?
Original post by Zenomorph
Hi I want to check this out with everyone.

Assume the mean is 150 and the St. deviation is 5. I want to find the % probability that any 1 value will fall under 145 and over 160.

What I did was found the Z score for both values by the X - u / SD formula , then found the % probabilities of both reading it off the Z tables.

I then added the 2 % together and subtract the sum from 100% = the % probability they will fall o/s 145 - 160.

is this correct ?

Doesn't sound right.

Your z values would be -1 and 2.

For the z value of -1, you'd need to do 1ϕ(1)1-\phi(1) assuming you're using table (they normally only have +ve z values)

Then to find the probability of lying in the given range, you'd need ϕ(2)ϕ(1)=ϕ(2)+ϕ(1)1\phi(2)-\phi(-1)=\phi(2)+\phi(1)-1

And outside that range you'd have

1(ϕ(2)+ϕ(1)1)=2ϕ(2)ϕ(1)1-(\phi(2)+\phi(1)-1)=2-\phi(2)-\phi(1) and then convert to a percentage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Doesn't sound right.

Your z values would be -1 and 2.

For the z value of -1, you'd need to do 1ϕ(1)1-\phi(1) assuming you're using table (they normally only have +ve z values)

Then to find the probability of lying in the given range, you'd need ϕ(2)ϕ(1)=ϕ(2)+ϕ(1)1\phi(2)-\phi(-1)=\phi(2)+\phi(1)-1

And outside that range you'd have

1(ϕ(2)+ϕ(1)1)=2ϕ(2)ϕ(1)1-(\phi(2)+\phi(1)-1)=2-\phi(2)-\phi(1) and then convert to a percentage.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Can I do it this way ? I take away the z value of -1 from z value of 2.
0.4772 - 0.3413 = 0.1359.

Then do 1 - 0.1359 = 0.8641 or 86.41 % of values o/s the range 145-160.

I think that should be the same as what you wrote, sorry I am not familiar with the notation of phi.

Thanks again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Thanks for the reply.

Can I do it this way ? I take away the z value of -1 from z value of 2.
0.4772 - 0.3413 = 0.1359.

Then do 1 - 0.1359 = 0.8641 or 86.41 % of values o/s the range 145-160.

I think that should be the same as what you wrote, sorry I am not familiar with the notation of phi.

Thanks again.

The method is correct in principle, HOWEVER your values for ϕ(2)\phi(2) and ϕ(1)\phi(-1) are not.

ϕ(2)\phi(2)= 0.9772

ϕ(1)\phi(-1)= 0.1587.

Where are you getting your values from? You seem to have the phi values of 1 and 2, and subtracted 0.5 from each.

Edit: Ironically, doing that would work with your original method.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
The method is correct in principle, HOWEVER your values for ϕ(2)\phi(2) and ϕ(1)\phi(-1) are not.

ϕ(2)\phi(2)= 0.9772

ϕ(1)\phi(-1)= 0.1587.

Where are you getting your values from? You seem to have the phi values of 1 and 2, and subtracted 0.5 from each.

Edit: Ironically, doing that would work with your original method.

I'm getting them from the regular Area under the normal curve values. I'm just reading it straight off, I think these are the correct tables, aren't they ?
I'm getting them from the regular Area under the normal curve values. I'm just reading it straight off, I think these are the correct tables, aren't they ?

They're certainly not the usual ones.

phi(0) = 0.5, so any z value greater than 0, must give a phi(z) > 0.5.

Do you have a scan/link to them? Preferably with any header/footer information, and any preamble.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
They're certainly not the usual ones.

phi(0) = 0.5, so any z value greater than 0, must give a phi(z) > 0.5.

Do you have a scan/link to them? Preferably with any header/footer information, and any preamble.

exactly the same as this except mine goes on to 3.5 z.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-normal-distribution-table.html

Anyway is the final answer 0.1815 ? cause I think get what you said
exactly the same as this except mine goes on to 3.5 z.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-normal-distribution-table.html

That's definitely non-standard - looks like they are doing something weird for the sake of a demo.

The table is giving the area under the curve between z=0 and the appropriate z value, whereas tables of the normal distribution usually give the total area to the left of the particular z value.

Anyway is the final answer 0.1815 ? cause I think get what you said

Yep.

Edit: I notice in the top left of the graph there is an options selection. Choosing "Up to z" gives you what would appear in standard tables (in the graph, albeit as a percentage rather than a probability). Their actual table below still doesn't reflect that though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
That's definitely non-standard - looks like they are doing something weird for the sake of a demo.

The table is giving the area under the curve between z=0 and the appropriate z value, whereas tables of the normal distribution usually give the total area to the left of the particular z value.

Yep.

Edit: I notice in the top left of the graph there is an options selection. Choosing "Up to z" gives you what would appear in standard tables (in the graph, albeit as a percentage rather than a probability). Their actual table below still doesn't reflect that though.

Let me have another look at the tables and I'll come back to you in meantime my thanks to you.

Quick Reply

Latest