The Student Room Group

PGCE with a 2:2

Hi, I was just after some advice. I plan on studying a PGCE after taking a year out to gain some experience, but I've just received my grades and only got a 2:2 which I'm quite dissapointed about as I know most universitys require a 2:1. After spending a year in schools gaining experience, would I stand a good chance of getting onto a primary PGCE course or will the 2:2 hold me back? Also I'm now worried about actually passing a PGCE since I know that it will be a lot harder than my actual degree
Any advice on what I could do to up my chances or whether its worth still applying would be greatly appreciated thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ExStudent1991
Hi, I was just after some advice. I plan on studying a PGCE after taking a year out to gain some experience, but I've just received my grades and only got a 2:2 which I'm quite dissapointed about as I know most universitys require a 2:1. After spending a year in schools gaining experience, would I stand a good chance of getting onto a primary PGCE course or will the 2:2 hold me back? Also I'm now worried about actually passing a PGCE since I know that it will be a lot harder than my actual degree
Any advice on what I could do to up my chances or whether its worth still applying would be greatly appreciated thanks

Only you can tell whether the PGCE is for you. What I can tell you, however, is that I have an offer for a PGCE starting in September and that offer is for a 2:2. I also met someone recently who got a 2:2 in her degree, completed the PGCE Primary and is just coming to the end of her NQT year so yes it's definitely possible!
Reply 2

Most universities do not know require a 2.1. The most competitive courses - secondary English, history, PE etc. - might have slightly higher grade requirements, but that is simply because they need to cut down on the number of candidates. The same applies for primary. That is also why you are only allowed two primary choices.

But for teaching they are more interested in your experience than your degree classification so taking a year out to gain meaningful experience will stand you in good stead.
Yes most universities do require a 2:1 but, last time I checked, Institute of Education, University Of London did say they accept 2:2+. Also I think King's was the same although they wrote it in such a way that they will consider lower classifications (lower than 2:1s). I think there should be a few more universities, I know Reading does consider you. Thing is most universities want to see how well you can handle a class, leadership and communication, if you have these skills - and by the end of your year out you most definitely will - you'll stand a good chance and this will make up for the 2:2.

I have a 2.2 and starting my pgce this sept, i have a coupke of friends who have 2.2, done their PGCE and are now very successful teachers in schools. What i did was i took a year out after my undergrad, rang the unis i was interested in to see if they would accept a 2.2 regardless of what it said on their website and then set about doing what i needed to to get in. The unis i were interested in said to me on the phone that they will consider my degree for primary teaching (which is what i want to do) but i have to relate it to the corse subjects (either english, maths or science) or have modules that have skills that could be transferable for that. These unis had 2.1 on their website but i still rang up anyway to find out, cos if you dont ask you dont get and i really want to teach!! Im a bit worried about passing my PGCE but once i start i think i'll be ok. I also have been getting experience with kids ever since i could so ive many years experience and during my year after i graduated i did some volunteering in a school to get more experience and to make it recent. Plus it looks good if im doing it alongside working part time.

I also started to write my personal statement for my PGCE before GTTR opened for applications so i spent a lot of time making sure my personal statement was good and written how i wanted it to come across, i also got a couple of other people to read over it to make sure it was ok. It is possible but you may have to work harder to get a place. It took me a looong time to get onto a PGCE this year and its really competitive, plus with the fact unis didnt know how many places they had since the government has lowered the places available for different unis. Luckily the one i was accepted into was given a lot more spaces on the PGCE this year and when i rang up yesterday to find out about term dates they said they were still interviewing!! Pm me if you want to talk more about it :-)
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice. Its good to know its not pretty much just put a stop to be becoming a teacher :smile:
Thanks for the advice. Its good to know its not pretty much just put a stop to be becoming a teacher :smile:

No probs, just dont give up. If its what you really want to do put a lot of effort into trying to get on and through it. It is possible but some people have to work harder then others to do it unfortunately :smile:
Friend of mine just finished her PGCE, she got a 2.2 at Uni, so there's definitely hope! Good luck.
im just graduating this summer from uni, is it too late to apply now for a pgce primary for this sept?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by london_toon
im just graduating this summer from uni, is it too late to apply now for a pgce primary for this sept?

Most places fill up very quickly, especially for popular PGCE subjects [like primary]. You could get the GTTR and see if they are still listing any vacancies, but chances are you will be better off applying next year. The applications normally open in October. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Most places fill up very quickly, especially for popular PGCE subjects [like primary]. You could get the GTTR and see if they are still listing any vacancies, but chances are you will be better off applying next year. The applications normally open in October. :smile:

thanks for the reply. Yeah,i think im better off applying in october then, so i wouldnt have to rush or anything. :smile:

Do you know how much a pgce primary costs? im confused because my friend told me that it cost like £10k to do a course and you only get bursarys if its a special subject. :s-smilie: im so confused lol surely my mate cant be right can she?
Reply 11
Original post by london_toon
thanks for the reply. Yeah,i think im better off applying in october then, so i wouldnt have to rush or anything. :smile:

Do you know how much a pgce primary costs? im confused because my friend told me that it cost like £10k to do a course and you only get bursarys if its a special subject. :s-smilie: im so confused lol surely my mate cant be right can she?

The university tuition for most undergraduate courses is now >£9000, PGCE should be the same amount unless you're continuing from a course at the older >£3000 rate.

You should be able to get a student loan from SFE that means you will pay it off over many years though, it's not upfront.
Original post by Game_boy
The university tuition for most undergraduate courses is now >£9000, PGCE should be the same amount unless you're continuing from a course at the older >£3000 rate.

You should be able to get a student loan from SFE that means you will pay it off over many years though, it's not upfront.

Oh ok, thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i
Reply 13
Original post by pineapple86
I have a 2.2 and starting my pgce this sept, i have a coupke of friends who have 2.2, done their PGCE and are now very successful teachers in schools. What i did was i took a year out after my undergrad, rang the unis i was interested in to see if they would accept a 2.2 regardless of what it said on their website and then set about doing what i needed to to get in. The unis i were interested in said to me on the phone that they will consider my degree for primary teaching (which is what i want to do) but i have to relate it to the corse subjects (either english, maths or science) or have modules that have skills that could be transferable for that. These unis had 2.1 on their website but i still rang up anyway to find out, cos if you dont ask you dont get and i really want to teach!! Im a bit worried about passing my PGCE but once i start i think i'll be ok. I also have been getting experience with kids ever since i could so ive many years experience and during my year after i graduated i did some volunteering in a school to get more experience and to make it recent. Plus it looks good if im doing it alongside working part time.

I also started to write my personal statement for my PGCE before GTTR opened for applications so i spent a lot of time making sure my personal statement was good and written how i wanted it to come across, i also got a couple of other people to read over it to make sure it was ok. It is possible but you may have to work harder to get a place. It took me a looong time to get onto a PGCE this year and its really competitive, plus with the fact unis didnt know how many places they had since the government has lowered the places available for different unis. Luckily the one i was accepted into was given a lot more spaces on the PGCE this year and when i rang up yesterday to find out about term dates they said they were still interviewing!! Pm me if you want to talk more about it :-)

I want to know more! :smile:
Reply 14
Hi,

I got a 2:2 ... I completed the PGCE with the grade 'outstanding'. It was the best year of my life. I am now a year 3/4 teacher and loving it!! If you put the work in it definitely pays off! I struggle with essays so was really worried but in my placement got selected to do my last placement In a forces school in Cyprus... If you want it enough you can do it x
Im required to achieve a 2:2 or above in my degree.
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
Im required to achieve a 2:2 or above in my degree.

What degree is that? And what PGCE did you apply for?
Original post by Feartheunknown
What degree is that? And what PGCE did you apply for?

PGCE Computer Science.

PGCE in IT and Computer Science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending