The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

You should eat your recommended number of calories and just do more exercise than before to loose the weight.

Don't eat 1200 Kcals- not good for you surprisingly!
Hi,
I'm chubby 16 year old and I want to lose 10kg before the start of school year (7 weeks)
My Height: 165cm (5ft5)
My Weight: 62kg
My Goal: 52kg (still healthy BMI)

Is it possible?
I plan to go swimming and horse riding once a week + 1hr running (5 days a week) + 2hr walk with my dog everyday.

Regarding my diet I want to cut off all the sweeties, fast-foods, white bread & Fats and Bad Carbohydrates in general.
I will eat 5 meals a day, last meal 4hrs before going to sleep. + of course a lot of fruit and veg.

Do I have any chances?

Please note that I already lost 4kg during the last month just by changing my diet (no exercise).
Any tips will be highly appreciated :smile:
Reply 122
Not trying to sound harsh, but 5 meals a day? I've only ever had 3 - 2 if I forget breakfast/lunch! Cutting down to 3 meals a day would definitely help.
Original post by tallen90
Not trying to sound harsh, but 5 meals a day? I've only ever had 3 - 2 if I forget breakfast/lunch! Cutting down to 3 meals a day would definitely help.

But I'm not eating a big, huge meals obv :smile:
I thought it was better to eat smaller meals more often that, big meals rarely.
And that metabolism is getting faster then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by Nessie162
But I'm not eating a big, huge meals obv :smile:
I thought it was better to eat smaller meals more often that, big meals rarely.
And that metabolism is getting faster then.

I suppose that makes sense, as long as they're small portions!
By my calculations you want to lose over 2 stone (sorry, don't work in kilograms :colondollar:) in 7 weeks. A healthy amount to lose per week is about 2-3lb Max (about 1kg a week?) Yes, I think it would be possible, if not to completely reach your goal, at least be well on the way.

Sorry if my math is a little out!

But remember: calorie deficit - burn more than you're taking in.

Hope this is in some way helpful :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Off_My_Planet
By my calculations you want to lose over 2 stone (sorry, don't work in kilograms :colondollar:) in 7 weeks. A healthy amount to lose per week is about 2-3lb Max (about 1kg a week?) Yes, I think it would be possible, if not to completely reach your goal, at least be well on the way.

Sorry if my math is a little out!

But remember: calorie deficit - burn more than you're taking in.

Hope this is in some way helpful :smile:

I'm in the opposite corner and want to GAIN 10kg in about that amount of time. So rather than have a calorie deficit I will have a surplus, I suppose reasonable deduction (without me having any clue on these topics) points to the quoted comment making sense.

I do know that putting weight on is easier than getting rid of it since not doing any work and eating loads means you will inevitably put on weight. On the other hand to loose weight you will need to find a balance between getting enough exercise to burn calories, but also making sure to find an equilibrium between getting enough nutrition to get through the day yet little enough that you do not have a surplus!
It seems to be a little more work needed, perhaps find a calorie intake calculator and work out a roughly what you would need to eat if doing nothing and then factor in workouts ect.

Good luck
Reply 127
Eating many small meals to "raise metabolism" has been proven to be BS.

Eat less. Cut out the running and do HIIT as much as you can (without feeling like death) outside, swimming or on a rowing machine. Not on a treadmill or cross trainer! Easy on the fruit as well, they're full of sugars.
Oh and you should be doing this alongside a weightlifting routine so you don't lose muscle while you try and lose fat.

Original post by Occams Chainsaw

I do know that putting weight on is easier than getting rid of it since not doing any work and eating loads means you will inevitably put on weight.

If you want quality mass, ie muscle, then putting on weight becomes 10 times harder. Why do you want to put on fat?!
(edited 11 years ago)
In terms of long term fitness and maintaining a decent body weight these should get you started: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx and http://hundredpushups.com/
Reply 129
very achievable in 7 weeks.
Original post by tooosh
If you want quality mass, ie muscle, then putting on weight becomes 10 times harder. Why do you want to put on fat?!

Well im 17 and 55kg, 5"9 too so it makes sense for me to do a dirty bulking period where i get some fat and strength increase and then go for a clean bulk where i put on muscle and tone up. make sense?

EDIT: also, that has no constructive relavance and in relation to the rest of my response I think it was a pointless thing to pick up on. I was just saying it is easier to gain weight that put it on... I didnt endorse putting on fat, or anything to the effect... i just said it was easier
(edited 11 years ago)
It really is not advisable to lose that kind of weight over such a short period of time - and probably extremely difficult even if you wanted to give it a go anyway.

By my calculations (based on your current stats - calculating your BMR and then your BMR with moderate activity levels, then calculating the calorie deficit required to lose 10kg it 7 weeks and substracting that from your BMR over the same period), then I calculate that to achieve that goal you'll have to consume no more than 725 calories per day for 7 weeks - either that or severely up your activity levels (which is probably just as dangerous!).

725 calories per day is NOTHING. Most people will have close to that in a single meal for dinner. How you plan to get 5 meals out of that is beyond me. In any case 725 calories will not be enough to meet your nutritional requirements and you'll find yourself with a lack of energy, becoming weak and constantly tired, looking awful, and your body going into starvation mode, causing your metabolic rate to plummit - you won't be in a fit state to do any exercise, and you'll probably end up giving in to your extreme cravings for high calorie foods and straying off your goals.

In 7 weeks, it would be more appropriate to try to lose somewhere between 5 and 7kg. Let's say you want to go for 6kg - to do that you could go with your current exercise plan and eat around 1,400 calories per day. You could more feasibly get 5 meals out of that (although, tbh, eating fewer meals more frequently doesn't help a WHOLE lot - 3 square meals will do the job just as well, as long as the total calorie count doesn't exceed 1,400), and it's enough to provide your body with the energy and nutrients you need to function and perform the exercise you plan to do.

So if you lose 6kg in 7 weeks, then you only have another 4kg to go before you've reached your goal. Just keep your plan up and once you're 6 weeks into the school year, you'll be 10kg lighter.

Cosmetically, it'll be very clear to anybody back at school that you've lost a lot of weight, even after 6kg... that's a very good achievement, and you'll see the results.
If you want to lose weight see a doctor or a dietitian who can help you achieve goals they deem are realistic, without you going to the extreme where you could be showing signs of an eating disorder. The thing is, at your age, you're still growing and you may grow in height resulting in you being average weight for your height.
Reply 133
I think you're going to struggle with an hours jog 5 days a week. I guess some people can do it but I'm not one of those people, and I'd imagine a lot of others are the same. I'm not a particularly fast runner, but I could jog about 8 kilometres in or around the 1 hour mark, and I do that 3 times a week (10k, very steep hills so it's hard for me to properly gauge my speed). 5 days a week of that and I'd feel like a broken man.

Your enthusiasm is commendable, but if you do too much you might risk injury, or simply start dreading it to the point where you lose all motivation to carry on and therefore stop altogether.

I think 10kg is about 22lbs, which is a smidgen over 3lbs a week. It's not outside the realms of possibility, but you might stand an easier chance of keeping it off afterwards if you made things less drastic and thought more long term. How about 10kg in 3 months? 22lbs / 13 weeks is a little over 1.5lbs a week. Much easier and you'll look great in your Christmas and New Year pictures.

Or maybe even just do it by Christmas? About 25 weeks away, so obviously less than 1lb a week if your aim is about 22lbs.

Regarding the more frequent small meals thing, I was always under the impression that it was successful because it prevented snacking.

The most successful trick I've ever used (and this might sound patronising or obvious, but it genuinely didn't occur to me until it was pointed out), was simply to eat slower. Eating slowly and paying more attention to how my stomach felt, I was amazed at how little food I actually needed to feel full afterwards, or how little compared to before. Now for example, I realise a small bowl of pasta with some sauce is just fine, rather than the huge plates of the stuff that I'd wolf down in the past.
Reply 134
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Well im 17 and 55kg, 5"9 too so it makes sense for me to do a dirty bulking period where i get some fat and strength increase and then go for a clean bulk where i put on muscle and tone up. make sense?

EDIT: also, that has no constructive relavance and in relation to the rest of my response I think it was a pointless thing to pick up on. I was just saying it is easier to gain weight that put it on... I didnt endorse putting on fat, or anything to the effect... i just said it was easier

Oh yeah it does. But you implied there wouldn't be any weights by "not doing any work" so it would be almost 100% fat! But good on you.
Still, gaining quality mass is much harder than losing fat. Ask anyone with a double bw squat.
(edited 11 years ago)
The calorie decifit would be too low , a safe bet is 1-2 lbs a week.
Original post by tooosh
Oh yeah it does. But you implied there wouldn't be any weights by "not doing any work" so it would be almost 100% fat! But good on you.
Still, gaining quality mass is much harder than losing fat. Ask anyone with a double bw squat.

For sure, I totally agree. I guess the way I worded my response could have been seen that way too, for that reason I will go back and change it. Thanks for picking up on it
Is this a good to start at the gym today?

Squat:
25kg x 12
30kg x 10
35kg x 8

Bench Press:
25kg x 10
30kg x 8
35kg x 8

Plus the usual push ups etc. for warmup.

Is there anything wrong with going like this, what can I change?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by ON A GOOD DAY
Is this a good to start at the gym today?

Squat:
25kg x 12
30kg x 10
35kg x 8

Bench Press:
25kg x 10
30kg x 8
35kg x 8

Plus the usual push ups etc. for warmup.

Is there anything wrong with going like this, what can I change?

No posterior chain (eg; deadlift) or pulling work (eg; pullups, bent over row) = recipe for injury, posture problems and general weakness
Do more work.

Post your diet.

Quick Reply

Latest